Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

IHC LA engine and generator?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1639 times

Old 06-21-2010, 02:54:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,813 Times in 630 Posts
Default IHC LA engine and generator?

Guys -

I have an IHC LA 1-1/2 2-1/2 hp engine at home. Wondering if anyone has ever set one up to run a generator? Could either be a 12 volt, or find a small 110v generator some place. Thinking of around 5-600 watts.

Want to put only a couple lights in the sawmill operation on our show grounds, and wondering if this engine might be up to the task ?

What are your thoughts, or experiences ?

Thanks !

Pete
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51:22 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: IHC LA engine & a generator ? ? ?

I have a 2hp Cushman Cub that I belted to a small 110v AC generator- all on the same trucks- that works good to power small stuff. It is a T/Gov engine like your LA so it can be done to answer your question. I could take some pics soon, but if you have some Gas Eng Magazines look thru probably about 2006 as they published my article about making it.Just have to figure your pulley sizes correctly so proper output is obtained at proper generator speed!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:28:31 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: IHC LA engine & a generator ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete LaBelle View Post
Guys -

I have an IHC LA 1-1/2 2-1/2 hp engine at home. Wondering if anyone has ever set one up to run a generator? Could either be a 12 volt, or find a small 110v generator some place. Thinking of around 5-600 watts.

Want to put only a couple lights in the sawmill operation on our show grounds, and wondering if this engine might be up to the task ?

What are your thoughts, or experiences ?

Thanks !

Pete
Pete

Why not use a 12V gen. off of a car or truck ?? You can buy 12V light bulbs just like you have in the house. You could even hook up a voltage reg. and charge a battery at the same time. Run the lights off of the battery until they become dim and then start the engine to re-charge the battery.

I have done that with a 3 and 5 HP Briggs and it worked great.

Jim
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26:47 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: IHC LA engine & a generator ? ? ?

This is what I use to charge my camper battery at the diff. shows

This tread is what Brian Lynch did.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64749
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Barnett For This Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50:26 PM
speleausmining

Default Re: IHC LA engine and generator?

I was thinking of doing something like that with one of my engines. From my experiance building a pelton wheel generator I agree a truck alternator is the cheapest simplest way to do it unless of course you have a generator kicking around. The other option would be to look around a farm auctions for a generator with a bad engine these usually go cheap then remove the generator part and your set. If you really want 110V AC get a cheap automotive inverter and camouflage it in a jointed wood box or some such.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post: