Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

International Harvester I4 Help

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3297 times

Old 10-11-2011, 07:13:26 PM
Registered-I

Default International Harvester I4 Help

i have a 1944 ih i4 industrial i picked up last year.i replaced the carb, points plugs wires etc.has mag.its had a small miss right along now all of a sudden it backfires pops runs terrible. it seems to be the worst when you first increase throttle.i have been told to check everything from stuck valves to cracks in the intake manifold.can anyone help me narrow down my search?i also wondered about the governor.thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24:48 PM

Thanked 20,702 Times in 5,991 Posts
Arrow Re: IH I4 Help

If the running improves when you give it some choke you found what the trouble is....... ......fuel.
Try spraying some WD40 around the intake manifold flanges where it bolts to the head. If the engine picks up you know exactly where the trouble is.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31:40 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: IH I4 Help

Sounds to me like you may have a stuck valve, easy enuf to check.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to bocephus_k6 For This Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36:06 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Exclamation Re: IH I4 Help

First, do a compression test. Find a bad cylinder (more than 5% off mean pressure - over 10% between low and high readings)? Check valve clearances. With the engine running, short out one plug at a time, and see if you find the one that is causing the backfire. Afterfire out the exhaust may mean a fouled plug or a bad cap. Look carefully at the interior of the cap, and the rotor. If there is a lot of corrosion, or carbon tracking, replace. Decent idle and poor performance under load may point to bad ignition wires. I have had sets with severe leakage, new out of the box! Run the engine in the dark, you may see high voltage leakage! As Craig says, choke on improve performance - check carb. How old is the fuel?

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 07:38:54 PM
Registered-I

Default McCormick I4 Help

can anyone help me? i have a 1944 i4 industrial. i bought it off ebay last year. the guy i got it from knew little about it, he had taken it in on trade for a lawn tractor at his dealership. he had plans to restore it but never got to it. it had sat 6 years when i got it.i put new points in it and gas and it fired right up.its had a small miss in it right along. i picked up a rebuilt carb for it because the original was a rust ball inside. it was running good until our fall show when it started backfiring every time you open the throttle above an idle. i have been told everything from stuck valves to a cracked manifold to a problem with the governor.has anyone had this problem?can you tell me where i should look first?this tractor came from a locomotive factory in NY. it doesn't seem to have a lot of hours on it.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58:25 PM
Registered-I

i work for a gas distributer and have only run non eth fuel in her.so i'm sure it's not fuel.i've tried the wd 40 trick no difference.choke on just kills the engine.i wondered about wires i bought all the tune up parts from tractor supply. not real happy with quality.cap is clean underneath.no carbon to speak of.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:58:32 AM
Registered-III

It's not the governor. It's most likely either spark or fuel. Too rich a fuel mixture or poor spark causing unburnt fuel to be in the cylinder on the exhaust stroke where it ignites causing the backfiring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nebraska Cowman For This Post:
Old 11-02-2011, 06:27:21 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: International Harvester I4 Help

just wanted to say thanx for all the advice.put on a set of solid core wires seems to run alot better.gonna change the plugs again i think maybe i got a bad set.they were black as coal.my buddy says they werent firing hot enough to burn all the fuel.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:20:11 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts

Might also be a bad condenser.

Kent
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55:43 PM
Registered-I

kent i wondered about the condenser i didn't change it when i tuned it up.you have to pull the mag to get it out.and i didn't want to go thru the hassle.