Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Marine Engine: 2800 HP Triple

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2434 times

Old 10-08-2014, 01:58:29 PM
Registered-II

Default Marine Engine: 2800 HP Triple

Here are links to some excellent video clips of the engine rooms (two, forward and aft) of the 1915 icebreaker SS Sankt Erik under steam.

Aft engine room 2800 hp triple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmVnRMkGS8o

Forward engine room 1200 hp triple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhragCBsixc

Boiler room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZa9DBnHmo
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 09:12:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Marine engine: 2800 HP Triple

Interesting that the two engines are different - the aft engine is apparently 2800 hp with Flodman link motion (you can see the eccentrics with their unusual motion).

Then in the forward engine room you can see the engine is different e.g. it has piston tail rods and is apparently 1200 hp with Klug link motion. Unfortunately we don't get a good view of the valve gear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Short For This Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts

Note that they have 1 VFT (Vertical Firetube Boiler) in the Boiler room that they use or could use sort of like a barring engine/pony engine/(car starter motor) for making steam. (You can see it in the video)

When at Dock it can provide steam to do auxilliary operations. Like operating steam winches, possibly steam powered generators.

But especially since the SS Sankt Erik has been converted to oil burning the VFT can help boot strap the big scotch marine boilers. The VFT can be lit first, and then provide steam to the oil atomizers to get the big boilers going until they have enough steam to run their own oil atomizers.

Locomotives converted to oil burning sometimes had the same issue. You could start them with a steamhose from another loco in steam, or you needed a lot of compressed air...

-CB
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10:12 AM
Registered-II

the powered throttle wheel is kinda neat
Old 10-09-2014, 03:21:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,413 Times in 481 Posts

Pretty sure thats reverse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBoogie For This Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 03:14:41 PM
Registered-I

Default Old thread alert!

Click image for larger version

Name:	JD 2018 Icebreaker2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	312533 1 Click image for larger version

Name:	JD 2018 Icebreaker3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	312534 2 Click image for larger version

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik32.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	312535 3

I visited the icebreaker Sankt Erik recently. I hadnít seen this thread, and knew nothing of this ship until I visited Stockholm a couple of weeks ago.

My wife and I went to see the amazing 17th century warship Vasa, and found the Sankt Erik moored right alongside the museum, so went aboard.

There wasnít much technical information to hand, but a very friendly lady guide told us quite a lot. One thing that surprised me is that the Baltic is relatively low in salt, so freezes readily in winter.

The ship has pumps and pipework which allows water to be pumped quickly from tanks on one side to the other to roll it about to help keep it free in the ice. Perhaps this also accounts for the unusual section of the hull.

The forward propeller apparently acts to shift broken ice away from the bows as the ship proceeds.

Built in Sweden in 1915 as the 'Isbrytaren II'. My impression was that the standard of construction is extremely high, and everything is carefully thought out. The standard of maintenance is very high.

I took loads of random snaps in the limited time (and space!) available, and will aim to post quite a few of them. If anyone has any particular requests, Iíll see if I have relevant photos.

I'll follow this up with more photos.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Asquith For This Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34:59 PM
Registered-I

Iíll start with the main engine. Peter S mentioned that it has Flodman valve gear. It seems that this is a variant of Hackworthís radial valve gear which, as far as I recall, offers various advantages, including needing only one eccentric per cylinder, but some of the advantages diminish with wear of the numerous joints.

Unfortunately I didnít pay any attention to the valve gear at the time, but will explain what I can identify from my photos.

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik05.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	312536 4 Click image for larger version

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik02.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	312537 5

Each cylinderís eccentric works a short stout horizontal rod. Pinned to this is a vertical forked rod which operates its steam admission valve.

At the LH end of the horizontal eccentric rod is a vertical link. This is connected to the long green horizontal I-section lever, seen above the eccentric rod. These features can just be seen at the bottom left of photo 4.

One end of the I-section lever is linked to a pivot block bolted to the bedplate. Two of these levers and their pivots (and forked valve rods) can be seen in photo 5.

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik17.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	312539 6

With me so far? Some of the bits now disappear into dark areas, so a bit of speculation is necessary. Staying with the I-section lever, its other end is connected to a crank, which is keyed to the long reversing shaft, as can be seen in photo 6. This shaft serves all the valves, and is rotated by the big reversing handwheel or reversing engine via the worm and wheel seen in the photo. The wormwheel moves the connecting rod in the photo, which Iím fairly sure is connected to the big green crank seen on the reversing shaft above the reversing engine.

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik43.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	312538 7

Now, moving to photo 7, at the RHS of the engineís column seen in photo 6, we meet the reversing shaft again, and another I-section beam and a forked rod, but we also find yet another crank keyed to the reversing shaft. This crank has a curved slot and a worm and wheel, turned by a bronze handwheel, which had me puzzled for a while. I now realise that the small wormwheel is threaded - it is a nut which clamps the crank in place. A most important nut.

Staying with photo 7, the other handwheel opens and closes the steam stop valve up at cylinder level.

The lever below it turns a shaft which passes through the engine column and emerges to operate the reversing engineís steam admission/reversing valve, which we will see later in photo 8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asquith For This Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50:17 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Marine Engine: 2800 HP Triple

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik16.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	312540 8

Hereís the reversing engine.

Watching the first video makes me realise how frustrating it must be, being in an engine room and controlling the engine on telegraph commands from above, and not being able to see whatís going on. Must have been alarming in a battle. It also makes me wonder whether there was any attempt in that era to work the engines from up top, with simple remote controls?

A couple of general shots:-

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik08.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	312541 9
Thrust bearing in foreground

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik42.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	312542 10

Name:	JD 2018 Sankt Erik37.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	312543 11
Cylinders and steam stop valve. Much elbow grease needed to keep those polished cast iron cylinder covers shiny.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Asquith For This Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:37:04 PM
Registered-II

Hi Asquith, thanks for the great photos and descriptions of the Flodman motion. Something that has intrigued me about it, and I don't know if it's specific only to the Sankt Erik's engine, is that the eccentrics' diameter and throw both seem relatively large compared to those on the Stephenson's motion equipped engines I've seen. Just an illusion?

Al
Old 06-24-2018, 01:07:14 PM
Registered-I

Al,

Thanks.
I'm afraid I have no idea about the relative sizes!
I wonder, though ..... There's a horizontal arm supported by links, and the valve rod is attached part way along this (but close to the eccentric). Therefore the amount of valve rod vertical movement will be less than the amount of eccentric throw. So, might the eccentric throw have to be increased (compared with Stephenson's) to give the equivalent valve movement? I don't know - out of my depth here!
The Following User Says Thank You to Asquith For This Post: