Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Big Thanks to the Thurmans

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 914 times

Old 06-26-2018, 12:21:54 AM
Registered

Default Big Thanks to the Thurmans

I wanted to thank Bill and Gib Thurman. My brother and I got into steam pretty heavily the past couple years and attended the Forest City, Iowa steam school this year. We have known the Thurmans for about 4 years now and have become good friends with them. They were kind enough to let my brother and I fire their 1906 22hp Advance this weekend for the Adrian, Mo show. We ran it for 3 days by ourselves without issue. Must take a lot of trust! We realized many things over the weekend. We are capable of safely operating such magnificent machines and have the know how to get ourselves out of a sticky situation (loss of steering due to a square key comes to mind.) I think we proved to ourselves that even though we have the know how to be a part of a great hobby, there's always something to keep learning and great friends to be made. Thank you again gentlemen. Can't wait for the next opportunity!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3HorseRocky For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 09:38:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,652 Times in 790 Posts
Default Re: Big Thanks to the Thurmans

What no pictures?!
Amazing how one can get so wrapped up in things that the camera lies forgotten until you're steamed down.

Handled that Advance just fine?
Must have been the result of some fine learning on a 28 Minneapolis.

Glad you're having a good time continuing your education and slippery slope in this addictive hobby; you're right, there is always more to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17:34 PM
Registered

That 28 Minne makes their 25 Minne look small! I'm usually camera happy at shows, but this was different. Could be the fact that we were taking care of an engine all of 3 days and busy, but more or less the memories seemed more important this time. Really has my brother and I jonesing for an engine of our own.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3HorseRocky For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 05:51:49 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the thank you but that wont make up for the dinner you owe me ! You guys did a good job and I'm glad you had some time on a 28 Minnie, bet it made you appreciate that Advance a lot more !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to William Thurman For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:08:50 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Thurman View Post
Thanks for the thank you but that wont make up for the dinner you owe me ! You guys did a good job and I'm glad you had some time on a 28 Minnie, bet it made you appreciate that Advance a lot more !!!
Lol but it's a start! The 28 Minne was an absolute monster of an engine. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I felt like I needed mirrors everywhere just to run the thing! Couldn't see around the wheels!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:11:14 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,663 Posts

I was around the 30 at the old Culbertson MT show a few times, it felt as big as a railroad road engine when you stand on the top of the boiler! Beautiful engine, shame where it ended up. There was a 28 Minnie at Pawnee a while back, nice engine, don't know where it is now.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:55:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,652 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Thurman View Post
I'm glad you had some time on a 28 Minnie, bet it made you appreciate that Advance a lot more !!!
Now are you trying to give Gib's 22 Minneapolis a complex before he even gets a fire in it, or just trying to warp these impressionable young men with Marsh Gear propaganda?

---------- Post added at 09:55:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HorseRocky View Post
Lol but it's a start! The 28 Minne was an absolute monster of an engine. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I felt like I needed mirrors everywhere just to run the thing! Couldn't see around the wheels!
Glad you're getting a feel for the sizes and layouts you like! I might be just a little biased, but rather like the view and the platform elbow room on the bigger Minneapolis engines. Jerred's is a Canadian, so the wheels are a few inches wider than ours, but that doesn't seem to affect the view to me.

If you really want to be wishing for some mirrors, try an undermount Avery some time. I find them enjoyable [of course, I rather like any steam engine ], but that gives some definition to blind spots!

Last edited by GreasyIron; 06-27-2018 at 11:21:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post: