Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Explosion

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2197 times

Old 06-28-2018, 12:22:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,006 Times in 3,909 Posts
Default Re: Boiler Explosion

Jason, your post is much more detailed than Mr Reed's book, where I got my info from. It did have several pictures from Reed's book, and the book had several different views as well. One of the photos in the book shows a man pointing at a great rip in what appears to be part of the boiler shell. The caption reads "The fatal flaw", and the man is pointing to the tear in the thick plate of steel
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,849 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I don't remember off the top of my head what sort of problem it is that causes the superheater tubes to be ejected like that. But I do know that's what happened in pictures like this, something happened inside the locomotive that caused the superheater tubes to be spat out. Most of the flues are still in the boiler, ruptured or not, and that tangle of piping is superheater tubes and accessories.

Google says that engine is C&O class T-1 #3020, May 12th 1948. When I have more time I'll see if I can find a description of what happened.
A fire box explosion would cause it to chuck the heater tubes as they are only held in by the headers in the smoke box, so the rush of steam from a low water explosion would force them out the front.The combustion chamber or fire box must have only partialy ruptured or the locomotive would have summer salted off the track and been totaled.
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 03:35:47 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,984 Times in 884 Posts

Not passing judgment or declaring a cause, just stating a possibility that is nowadays overlooked.
When causes are " unknown ", I think of Caustic Embrittlement .
When the alkalinity of water goes excessively high, crystals of alkaline chemical deposits form in crevices.
These can be riveted joints, piping or mounting bolt holes.

Based on the common failure mode, the riveted joints are involved most often.
Metal under stress gets micro-cracks.
Alkali, like Hydroxides and phosphates get carried by the water into the micro-cracks.
With heat, they get concentrated and the crystals grow, pushing the cracks open.
Think of splitting a rock; drill a row of holes and put expanding wedges in them.
Tap each expanding " feather ", just gently, but in sequence, down the row.
The micro-cracks develop between the holes, and expand a tiny bit with each hammer tap.
The rock finally splits, along that row of holes.

When we have a rivet joint, it is a similar situation.
Having too much alkalinity in the water aggravates the situation.

That is why ASME and ABMA have limits on Alkalinity and pH ( related but different ) in boiler water.

If you are using an alkaline water treatment or naturally alkaline water,
you should be testing phenolphthalein " P " alkalinity and not letting it go over 300 PPM.

If you are using a modern Amine treatment, the pH cannot go over 10.4, so caustic embrittlement is not an issue.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:35:23 PM
Subscriber

Hi, Google boiler explosions, quite an eye opener. I spent ten of my thirty years with the government as a boiler inspector. The (managers) at the facility I worked at wanted to do away with the boiler operators on shift and get a red light to indicate trouble in a boiler room and let a security guard who may or may not see the light call in a qualified operator. These were steaming boilers and there were twenty of them. Needless to say, I was not a favorite after educating them to their stupidly. These are the kind of people who make the decisions. Frig up to move up and kiss ass is the government way.. Was so grateful to retire! ( and I know they were glad to see me go). CK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charley K For This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 12:15:41 AM
Subscriber

Guess this fits in with thread. Had this a long time, but only just worked out how to send it. Hope you can read the original newspaper print, you may need to enlarge a bit. It's from 1861 when the bigger company Goldmines were at their peak. Amazing how they didn't mind printing all the gory details with no consideration for the surviving families?
Anyway, incident does show the terrific power behind these events.--Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20_boilerexplosion_4000x2693_big (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	313292   Click image for larger version

Name:	boiler.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	313293  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AussieIron For This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 03:22:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,006 Times in 3,909 Posts
Exclamation Re: Boiler Explosion

I could not read the print, but back then sensationalism sold news. train wrecks and other catastrophic events were told in great detail, and often were either photographed or hand drawings made and printed to illustrate how gory things were at the time. god help the media today if they actually showed what really happens in a horrible event - they would be sued beyond all reason. 'privacy Laws' they say, yet most computer contacts do data mining every day. Where is the privacy in that? back to the gory details, the news back then was more realistic. They didn't spin details, they told them as it happened.
Andrew