Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Water Treatment

this thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 11179 times

Old 11-08-2017, 01:05:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Water Treatment

Been awhile since I have been involved, methods have probably progressed. Sulfite or hydrazine were used for steaming boilers and nitrite was used for hot water boilers. I'm sure Mr. Conte can advise if he is in the business. Good to see the interest, good luck. CK PS, Mr. Manning, those pictures bring back some ugly memories.

Last edited by Charley K; 11-08-2017 at 04:11:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charley K For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53:35 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,013 Times in 887 Posts

GI,
It is definitely time for an update. My email is jimconte50@gmail.com.
That is different because I have moved. The phone number is ( 717 ) 940 - 4156, same as before.
Both are good ways to place an order or ask a question.

Nitrogen blanketing is proven technology, the industrial and utility standard for
maintaining equipment in top-notch condition and ready-to-run on short notice.
The water level is normal and the water chemistry is also normal.
If it is applied correctly ( while cooling down ) and purged for a few minutes each week, results will be perfect.
I believe there is an old post on 'stak that has the instructions and a sketch. I'll look for it or re-post it.

There is a new oxygen scavenger product that is being tested in a big locomotive.
It does not have the disadvantages and problems that sodium sulfite has.
Initial results are good. Dosing is 12 ounces per 100 gallons of water.
It does not dissipate over 30 days' time, it maintains protection if it is not stirred-up or aerated.
It isn't ready for prime time or the open market, but it is coming soon.

We also have an alternative to Terlyn LSB 4000, called BoilerSaver 4161.
Terlyn is a 60 % cleaning, 40 % protection blend, the BoilerSaver 4161 product is 60% protection, 40% cleaning.
Both products do a great job. The BoilerSaver 4161 does not automatically adjust pH like Terlyn LSB 4000 does.
Sometimes, a supplement of Soda Ash is needed to get the alkalinity and pH up to 10.
It has found favor in the excursion railroad community, where they are testing water, controlling blowdown and adjusting treatment, anyway.

On the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, we have installed a water softener and have been able to reduce the chemical feed because of that.
Uncle Al Phillips reports that the 4501 and 630 boilers are " pristine " inside;
clean of scale, chalky sediment washes out easily with a hose and there is a grey magnetite film on the metal.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:46:09 PM
Registered

My curiosity was working and I'm learning how to use the features on Smokstak. I found this. There has been a lot of discussion about boiler preservation and water treatment. There are some great explanations here.
Anyone who has a rusted or scaled boiler only needs to look here for the answers and help.