Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Early Nichols/Shepard Engine Boiler Numbers

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 1866 times

Old 07-16-2016, 09:16:15 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Early Nichols/Shepard Engine Boiler Numbers

So here is what was termed early on a traction engine, notice the smaller bolster but you did get gearing in the wheels as Sam mentioned now onto numbers. 1051 does not show up in my book, this maybe a later piece either gathered up or replaced if left with water to freeze and break. 959 quadrant bracket for 8-10 hp for 1881-2-3
942 is a shield for 940 or 939, 939 support for 8 hp and 940 support to front end of boiler for 10 hp.

You may want to get casting numbers off the cylinder where the piston would go and concentrate on the boiler size next with dimensions of the firebox and number, length and diameter of tubes, here is the bad news IF this boiler is really that old it was likely made of charcoal hammered iron which is wrought iron, if true you would then need to decide on your plans with the engine as you likely will not get to operate it in public or public places. However the pictures sure do not seem to me that this is the case at this point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	258323  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2016, 09:59:04 AM
Registered

And if it helps, this one has 24 flues. At the time when it was converted, a larger firebox was put on as well.

---------- Post added at 08:59:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44:09 AM ----------

Thank you for the info Glen. Ill definitely pass this along. It seems to look a lot like that last picture you posted. As soon as we get more numbers I'll let you know. In the early 90s this boiler was supposedly restored. But if its the wrought iron you speak of, we'll go from there. My friend did mention it was only about 1/4 inch thick. Seemed thin to me.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:30:29 AM
Registered

What years are those casting numbers associated with? The tag is long gone, and we want to date this engine as closely as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:20:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gieszler View Post
So here is what was termed early on a traction engine, notice the smaller bolster but you did get gearing in the wheels as Sam mentioned now onto numbers. 1051 does not show up in my book, this maybe a later piece either gathered up or replaced if left with water to freeze and break. 959 quadrant bracket for 8-10 hp for 1881-2-3
942 is a shield for 940 or 939, 939 support for 8 hp and 940 support to front end of boiler for 10 hp.

You may want to get casting numbers off the cylinder where the piston would go and concentrate on the boiler size next with dimensions of the firebox and number, length and diameter of tubes, here is the bad news IF this boiler is really that old it was likely made of charcoal hammered iron which is wrought iron, if true you would then need to decide on your plans with the engine as you likely will not get to operate it in public or public places. However the pictures sure do not seem to me that this is the case at this point
What years do the casting numbers associate with? We are trying to date the engine as closely as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:30:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gieszler View Post

Need some clarification on this as well. Why would it not be legal to run with this type of boiler? Is there laws/regulations against it? And what is needed to ensure safety?
Old 07-16-2016, 10:49:50 AM
Registered-III

As stated 1881,1882,1883

I am sorry I do not have any info on a 24 flue boiler, but then I do not have any catalogs from the above years

Check with your inspector or any experienced engineers currently running an engine in your state for regulations within your area, although the the catalog does say they used 60,000 psi charcoal hammered iron, this material was subject to laminations in the grain stucture during the manufacturing process and depending on how the boiler construction was done at the time using a punch or drill to make all the holes, the punch version injured the wrought iron even if it the hole was reamed to the desired dimension after being punched as the pull of the punch caused the grain stucture of the iron to be altered, this led to many early boiler failures some being fatal to the operators, wrought iron was some where around 1888 give or take a few years, dropped from being used in the manufacturing of boilers and in the 1889 NS catalog it now states that they now make there boilers from steel
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn Gieszler For This Post:
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19:12 PM

Thanked 12,779 Times in 3,870 Posts

Do you have the engine and flywheel etc for it? If not, are you able to locate one?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:48:41 PM
Registered

We should have a flywheel, most of the actual engine is there. I think we may have to do something about an actual piston though.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:10:37 PM

Thanked 12,779 Times in 3,870 Posts

Pictures and measurements of the engine and flywheel would be most helpful. Pistons and rings are not too hard to manufacture.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:28:37 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,312 Times in 2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys Tractors View Post
We should have a flywheel, most of the actual engine is there. I think we may have to do something about an actual piston though.

Pistons aren't that hard to build, I've had one built for my Case after we bored the cylinder out. Welcome aboard the stak, glad to see you on here and see some pics of this engine!
Mike M
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41:47 AM
Registered

We assumed the piston would need built, but before we do anything we are going to have to see to the boiler condition and start from there. After that we will have to see about some parts that are missing. Right now for sure we know we are missing the main drive gears that bolt to the wheels, we have the differential gear, but the small planetary gears are missing, a steering windlass, an engine oiler, the sight glass assembly, a steam gauge, and some other odds and ends. It's gonna be a chore...
Old 07-18-2016, 05:33:42 PM
Registered-I

If you guys would of just asked !! I had a picture of this engine and another on a rail car being delivered in 1881 as the picture was dated, I gave this picture to the family who owned it at the time as part of the deal to get it. Its a 6 H.P. portable that was converted to a traction by a N.S. field man. It had to have a heavier smoke box for the steering axel so they installed it by hand, you can still see all the hammer marks on the rivets. the rear wheels have a band riveted on them with gouters. The holes for the seat bracket up front are still in the boiler It was stripped of its parts in the depression and had set in the same place close to 80 years. The parts that are with it came from a 10H.P. engine as that was all we could find and thought they would work. The engine was a one owner engine, being the first stem engine delivered to western Mo. It went thru two sets of gearing. the boiler is marginal at best as it had froze at one time and pushed the bottom sheet out, I pushed it back and a friend and I replaced almost all the stay bolts, I thought it would be plenty safe for 50 lbs just to run it. I got a lot older and went thru a divorce and had no place to work on it. The reason no one has really took interest in it as it can never be sold, its on loan, so that means if you put $10,000 into it the family can come back and take it home and say "thanks". Could it be bought now I couldn't tell you as I have lost track of the family, but I do know they had a contract drawn up when we went and got it. I do not even know where the contract is now but maybe the board could find it . You have my blessing, it needs to be saved ! At one time a N.S so called expert said he thought it was the oldest (traction) engine left. Joe Rynda had one very similar but was a lot newer. As far as I know its still around. there was also one in Salina that was newer but a lot like it as well. Being one owner I talked to the great grandson of the original owner at length so pretty well have a complete history on it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Thurman For This Post: