Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Waterous Steam Roller

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 5280 times

Old 08-12-2016, 09:33:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Waterous Steam Roller

I'm in the process of stripping the boiler down for a complete NDE inspection and have to drop the water tank which is bolted underneath the barrel. The steering axle shaft and chain spools have to be removed to gain access to the bolts which secure it to angle brackets which are riveted to the front firebox. One of the spools is on the shaft with a key and the other has no key. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these and what's the easiest way to drop the water tank. The roller is a 1910 Canadian Waterous, who , under license, made copy of the Buffalo Pitts roller as seen in the Lynden Show thread.

Thanks

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	260091  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2016, 01:49:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,958 Times in 6,761 Posts
Default Re: Waterous Steam Roller

Brian,
There was a Waterous at Rollag last year that had just been done up. I cannot recall the chap's name but perhaps you can get it through the club. He seemed a very pleasant fellow so would no doubt be a good help.
Very nice to meet you at Austin and would have liked to have chatted more.
Cheers,
RM
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 03:05:10 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,712 Times in 387 Posts

Brian,
The Lynden roller had UT's done on it a couple years ago however I wasn't there when it was done. Brian Dykstra may be able to help. It is a sweet running roller though.
Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanks George, I will try and contact Brian. The boiler is ready for abatement, then the NDE. I have found some more recent history on it before it came to Heritage Park. It was owned by the town of Fernie BC and sold to the Glenbow, then to us in 1966. The thickness at that time looked really good, but being a lap seam, Alberta Boilers would only give them 110 PSI, "and be aware that it will be reduced every year" Yes the 2 cyl engine on it is similar to my 2 cyl Waterous stationary engine, but 5 hp bigger. They run real nice and handy to get at since you don't need to balance on a ladder to get at it.
G, yes it was a pleasure to meet you and a good conversation on Sat morning. The Ontario boys were out in force and met quite a few of them, always a good time. It was a real busy week, getting there Tuesday night, Wed inspections, later when we blew a handhole gasket Friday just before the parade, then the rain storm, and threshing on Sunday. It was a hell of a show and glad that I could be a small part of it.

Brian Manning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 03:43:43 PM
Registered-III

Well, did the NDE on the roller last Sat. and the boiler is in remarkably good condition with virtually little corrosion or pitting. With the CSA-B51 change in the Lap seam regulations, should be able to get some decent pressure on it. Since next year is Canada's 150th anniversary, we are going to try our best to have it ready and running for July 1st, since it is Canadian built. Found some history on it as well. Moved it out into the first sunshine its seen in over 20 years yesterday for the move into a heated Roundhouse for the winter.

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4407.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	266746  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32:57 AM
Registered

Hi Brian.
I have the 15 ton waterous that I just got done restoring last year and show at Rollag. I took the tank off steering roller and all. The hard part was getting the nuts off the back where it bolts to the boiler. Looked like a lot of unessessary work to try and get the steering apart. I had to do some patching on the tank around those angle irons as rust collected around it. It was harder to put it back on because you had to lift it up and slide it back at the same time. If your reflueing the roller, I know a place you can get 1 3/4 inch flues. They are hard to find. It will need copper Ferrells in the back as well.
If you have questions you can call me anytime. Jeff Pewitt 573-881-3053
Good luck with your project. They are fun to play with
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Pewitt For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:10:52 PM
Registered-III

Jeff, thanks for the contact, I may be calling you next week about some info on the ash pan. I found out in the back 40, what was the remains of the 2 bottom ash pan flaps , the cast end piece and the 2 rocker arms, so just started to begin fitting them in underneath. On ours, I took the steering chains off, and on the right side spool is a tapered pin. Knocked it out, and a little heat pulled the spool off ,then pulled the whole shaft out from the other side. Began rebuilding the roof framing since it was totally shot, and after about a day and half, got the engine to a point it will turn over easily by hand.

Brian Manning
Old 12-09-2016, 07:14:05 PM
Registered-III

Here are a couple of pics of the steering spool and new roof framing.

Brian M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SteeringshaftIMG_4400.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	269888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof20161205_102517.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	269889  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:31:11 AM
Registered-III

The other project I've been working on this winter is the 1912 Waterous steam roller. After a trip up to Reynolds-Alberta Museum last week to check over the one in the warehouse and scrounge the archives, we found a cache of enormous information and details, and to date have made great progress on it as well. The engine has been gone over and is in great mechanical shape, painting is almost completed and historically correct pin stripping and lettering will be started soon. The new roof was found to be NOT the corrugated tin that was on it, but a oak frame with oak wood slates covered in canvas, so we have changed plans and are building it to the correct specifications. My plan is to have it certified and running in 2017.

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SML20170124_092110.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	273200  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:32:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,313 Times in 2,334 Posts

Glad to hear the old roller is coming along nicely. Rollers, unfortunately are vastly under-represented at shows here in North America, for what all contributions they did to help build the roads of our nations. I know there are still some out there waiting to be restored (I have a really rough one myself!), but I guess they're just not considered as "sexy" as a traction engine? I think they're COOL!!!
Mike