Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Waterous Steam Roller

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 5260 times

Old 02-23-2017, 10:19:32 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Waterous Steam Roller

Thanks Mike, yes they are sorely misrepresented here at the shows, maybe because they aren't as "sexy" as a plowing or threshing engine, and they just didn't survive the scrapers. The detailer showed up yesterday and is starting on the roof canopy today. The rest of the roller will get the full treatment next week. Started to clean up the fittings and came across this interesting bit of info. They survived this long in this condition I believe since they are tucked in underneath the rear guard and out of the weather and grease. Leaving them as is, after I clean up the seats a bit first.

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SML20170222_131350.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	275691  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2017, 11:35:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,530 Times in 2,124 Posts

I hadn't realized Penberthy had a plant in St Catherens, only in Prophetstown Illinois.
I wrote a maintenance manual on an Ingersoll Milling engine block machining line for the GM Vortex engine. This was to go to St Catherins.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:05:11 PM
Registered-III

No, neither did I and I grew up around that area. According to a "Dominion of Canada, Dept. of Trade and Commerce Census", of 1940 the Penberthy Injector Company foundry was located at 159 Windsor Ave. St Catherine's Ontario, and was still a thriving business " engaged in the making of brass valves, taps, plumbers supplies etc."

Brian Manning
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 01:55:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,923 Times in 6,751 Posts

See article in Feb/March 2017 Engineers & Engines magazine on 1907 event. Penberthy Injector Co., Ltd. also had a works in Windsor, Ontario.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 07:13:34 PM
Registered-III

Rick J. from Streamline Studios and Michelle, his apprentice daughter, have started to make a fantastic start on the roof canopy today. Starting to take shape now, and should look like a MILLION$$$$ come Spring.

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SML20170224_143352.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	275797  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 07:07:32 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,796 Times in 806 Posts

Hi Brian, did you ever figure out when the roller first went to work? I found some notes I made from the archives records concerning Waterouse' initial boiler development. On June 29, 1910 Alberta boiler branch wrote Waterous to report on their recent boiler design drawings for their 10-12 ton roller, they were told the design " does not consider the Alberta regulations and wasted the inspectors time, please redo it !" Ouch! Then, on Sept 10 1910 Waterous submitted a new drawing along with the catalogue for the roller in question. By early 1913 the final boiler design was excepted in Saskatchewan but not yet Alberta, they still weren't happy with some of the staybolt locations. I have someplace a book saying that B.C had the toughest boiler rules in the country, I wonder when and where this roller first started working?
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 02:45:10 PM
Registered-III

David, the history of the roller , as I have found out so far, goes like this. By the affidavit of Manufacturer sheet, the boiler/roller was built and passed at the Waterous Engine Works Co. plant in Brantford, Ontario on April 13, 1913. It was built for the Town of Fernie, BC. I have not as yet received any information from the Fernie Historical Society I sent a request last year when we started to dive into it. Going through the records we have here, it was still in service in Fernie in 1951, according to the Inspectors report from S. Smith, Chief Inspector "Office of Inspector of Boilers and Machinery" BC. were it states the boiler condition as "fairly good" and the Steam gauge as "nearly correct" How long it worked there is anyone's guess , but it was worked hard by the wear on the steering bushings. drive pinion and some of the "shop" repairs made to it. It was acquired by the Glenbow Foundation in 1960 and was brought to Alberta. The Glenbow had a complete NDE inspection done on it and apparently was trying to put it back in service, however that did not occur, and was then donated to Heritage Park in 1966. Heritage Park also attempted to put it back into service as repairs to the front tubesheet and a complete inspection report from 1984 verifies. With the regulations for Lapseam boilers and the yearly down grading of pressure, it was decided to leave it as is and a static display. Now with the changes made, we are well on our way to finally have roller #5005 back in operation this year, some 65 years since it last ran.

Brian Manning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170221_085718.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	276667  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 04:01:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,796 Times in 806 Posts

I wonder if that was the first Waterous roller used west of Sask.? The 1913 date would coincide with the boiler acceptance in Alberta
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47:08 PM
Registered-III

David its really hard to say, but RAM and the WDM both have Waterous engines in their collections, and after further investigation, it looks like to me that they are a few years later in production [1914/15?] due to their different serial # and colour scheme. Ours is definitely a light green where the others are a very dark, almost black green.

Brian Manning
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Manning For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12:04 AM
Registered

Hey Brian,

What is that door between the water tank and the bottom of the barrel of the boiler for? I was looking at another Waterous roller and had the same door, but couldn't figure out a use looking at it as it doesn't seem to connect to the water tank at all

Thanks

Dan