Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Antique Vertical Steam Engine

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 3103 times

Old 10-17-2017, 09:19:32 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Antique Vertical Steam Engine

thank you all so much, this is a great learning experience.

there was mention of the base, it is cast iron and .539 thick, the angle iron legs look recent and were added for flywheel clearance and display.
i will put nicer legs underneath if i get ambitious.
in my first post i mentioned building a Stuart #1 from their casting kit.
the kit was given to me by my mentor- friend who got me started in machining a few years ago.
he is a wealth of good practical advise.
i was planning to test the Stuart on air and then get a proper boiler for it in the future but now that i have tested this Moody engine i am itching to run it on steam now.
what boiler would you get to run the Moody (about a 2.5" dia. piston) and the Stuart a 2" piston.
this would be for demonstration and infrequent.
Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badboy1950 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,211 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Joe, can you elaborate why small steam engines were maybe a decade behind traction engines, maybe a couple decades behind locomotive, regarding interchangeable parts?
It mostly had to do with volume of production. If you make a handful of units, you won't (or can't) put a lot of money into engineering - the design, the drawings, the production methods to make a consistent component to those drawings.

Later on (say 1876 onwards) manufacturers expanded their markets - but usually did it on the basis of large output - which in turn encouraged the use of interchangeability as a way to speed production and lower unit cost overall.

Until the general adoption of the gasoline (or diesel) engine and grid/electric motors, small engine builders continued to ply their trade. My "Sears Roebuck" engine (circa 1907) would have been among the last of these - this pattern engine was made by at least a half a dozen makers all apparently small producers and working by "reverse engineering" and using the castings of one complete engine to produce another copy. "Kenwood" (below) was just the Sears name as "Craftsman" and "Kenmore" was until recently. Like both of these later, made by different makers at different times, but usually to high standards and quality. And for the Sears steam engine an attempt by one producer or another to market to a wider clientele without paying the engineering overheads.

A few exceptions. Troy and Troy-Engberg, also Skinner in the smaller units. These engines made the transition to central station use as stoker and blower engines, or possibly small prime mover engines for laundry, sawmill, print shop use. But they were widely applied, commonly specified by engineering firms who knew their availability and previous success (all engineering tends to build on successes) and by virtue of having been built to interchangeable standards, were relatively cheap and high quality.

Ford, of course, took the engineering to the next level and systematized the assembly in "assembly lines." Ford drawings exist for both the component parts of the Model T and the Model A (These are available to the public at small cost should you wish to duplicate a part) Not so much for the assembly line arrangements which some have conjectured by building models.

But by then steam was certainly outmoded by the gasoline engine and central grid power.

Last edited by Joe K; 10-18-2017 at 08:30:22 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe K For This Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 09:56:30 PM

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,053 Posts

Today Dan invited us to visit him on our way home from the Cape.

It was an absolute pleasure to visit with Dan at his home where he could show us a few things up close.

I filmed his wonderful dual eccentric vertical steam engine
and was given permission to show the video here.

This engine looks great and has a great sound to it.
Also note the beautifully formed lead weight in the flywheel.
This inherently unbalanced design runs smooth as silk
as balanced by it's maker.

Enjoy,

Gil

Old 07-05-2018, 01:13:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,204 Times in 624 Posts

I love that little doughnut flywheel. I am quite sure this is a small marine launch engine. Fortunately it has survived the resurgence of small steam boats in the 1960's and has remained in original condition.

Beautiful little engine. Quite a masterpiece of engineering. If it has twin feed pumps perhaps one pump was a constant feed to a porcupine boiler and the other being used to "fine tune" the water feed.

or as noted perhaps one was water feed and the other used to create a vacuum in the condenser. Being it has such a sophisticated valving mechanism I would be inclined to believe it also ran condensing.