Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Riveted Steam, Water, Boiler Tank, I Dont Know

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 1945 times

Old 06-13-2018, 07:58:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,155 Times in 613 Posts
Default Re: Riveted Steam, Water, Boiler Tank, I Dont Know

I think the original thought was that the tank was merely a "reservoir." It was filled manually by a valve (until it overflowed) and then heated by the pincoil/fireback/whatever in the stove until it did (or could) boil. One wanted HOT water from these taken by a pitcher or basin from the low point drain (hence the raised ornate stand.)

In this configuration the system might boil but since it is not confined, it simply boils away without doing damage.

This was the age of the "washbasin." Sinks as we know them were only for the rich.

I'm suspicious others desiring a sink may have piped a continuous supply and occasional discharge and essentially "closed" the system? A relief valve might relieve over-pressure in these cases?

I suppose the first case was considered a drastic improvement over using the well pump, filling a pot, and putting it on the stove.

I think the second case might work - for a while - but watch out. Careful sizing of either the pincoil or fire might aid the design.

Joe K
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00:31 PM
Registered-I

Things to consider:

Is this a sealed system ? the outlets were piped to faucets at each of 3 bath tubs
and the water supply ? I am guessing back in the day it was a tank in the attic or other higher elevation, thus gravity fed water , if there was only head pressure and no valves you would never build substantial pressure. I would hope the original system had a pressure relief device of some kind.

Heat source ? I would guess the heat exchanger coil in the stove is small, lets say 20% of the heat goes to the water tank, and the rest is space heating for the room and stack loss. As the temperature in the water tank increases it also becomes a radiator so in a crude fashion self regulating.

Considering this is located in a climate that ranges from -30 to +100F operating this bath house to maintain comfort must have been quite a trick.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53:03 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,915 Times in 3,845 Posts

Hot water reservoir! It holds water for a hot water service, so you can get hot water for a while before you deplete the supply. My parents had one mounted in the ceiling, over their oil burner. It held about 25 gallons, enough to take a good bath or shower without running out of water. it worked on the thermosyphon method to heat the water, and hot water to be used was drawn off the outlet near the top of the tank. It did have an outlet on the very top, to allow air to be introduced into the tank. it was there to prevent water hammer. We used to have to put air in it every 6 months or you got a real loud BANG when you shut the hot water off! The water system operated at street pressure, separate from the heating system (steam). the domestic water was heated in a heat exchanger mounted in the boiler.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:39:13 PM
Registered-II

That's a great looking old tank!

Would make a great water wagon tank for a scale engine if it's the right size and you could modify it without messing up the appearance too much.

At first glance I thought it was an air reservoir tank for a hot water heating system but it has too many pipes and the pressure rating is a lot higher than you'd see on one of them. They usually only had an inlet and outlet pipe and an air bleed valve and were rated for 15psi or so. Almost all I've seen (in residential settings mostly) were mounted horizontally, but there was at least one I remember that was vertical.

I'm going along with the hot water heater guys on this one.

Last edited by Tim Mathis; 06-16-2018 at 11:08:44 PM. Reason: Made a 'mistale' and had incorrect info in post
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Mathis For This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,846 Times in 698 Posts

I really appreciate all the replies and info. I will be posting this tank for sale in Enginads, not sure exactly what it might be worth, but has to be worth something to the right person.

Patrick