Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Tandem Versus Cross Compound

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 2019 times

Old 06-27-2018, 10:15:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,153 Times in 2,113 Posts
Default Re: Tandem Versus Cross Compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
An interesting thing about the Port. Beth's 24 has a simpling gear, My 24 don't. My engine also has a foot operated brake on the counter shaft, a friend's Port doesn't have that. I'm guessing that it was optional? Mine also has a Pickering governor and a extra hand operated oil pump to add extra shots of cylinder oil into the steam chest. Possibly customer applied?
Interesting your Port has a Pickering governor Frank. It is placed horizontal like they did their Waters governors? It's interesting that Port and Reeves both laid down their governors to counteract jarring fluctuations on rough ground.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 10:31:21 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,663 Posts

It sits upright like other Pickerings
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 11:04:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,404 Times in 476 Posts

Gary,
You're confusing Waters with Watson governors. Watson were the lay down style. PH E&T supplied Waters as standard equipment ,"other makes supplied at your own risk".
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,652 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
An interesting thing about the Port. Beth's 24 has a simpling gear, My 24 don't.
I haven't seen Beth's engine other than in photos, but wasn't the PH gear more of a fresh steam boost to the low pressure rather than a full simpling gear like the Reeves interceptor? Wandering further off, I think Gaar Scott had, or offered, a similar arrangement on their DTC engines as I'm thinking of for PH.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 04:05:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,085 Times in 314 Posts

The simpling valve on my 19 is a 3/8" pipe that passes live steam from the top of the steam chest (an enclosed tunnel from the governor to the port for the high pressure portion of the valve) into the open area of the steam chest. Exhaust steam from the high pressure cylinder ports into the chest, and is ported by the valve into the low pressure cylinder. The simpling valve provides a small amount of live steam to mix with the once-expanded steam to provide more push on the low pressure side. I would guess Beth's is similar, but might be a 1/2" pipe for the larger engine.

The Port Huron literature talks about the valve, and cautions against using it for any extended time (under full 175 psi, of course) as potentially damaging to engine parts. My 1913 has the valve, but it's presence was eventually discontinued, as 1919-1920 engines around here don't have even holes where it might have been. On the other hand, Anderburg's 1915 has it, and they use it on the sawmill because they are limited to 100 psi. It becomes a bit of a water hog, though.

On the Flink fan at Sycamore, I can open the valve and hear the rpm's jump.

Tom R.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Runty For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 04:51:24 PM
Email NOT Working

I'm not certain what year PH discontinued the "simpling" valve. My 1905 - 24 short has it, as does my 1913 -16 . However, my 1914 - 32 does not, nor does my 1920 - 19. I'll have to look through my catalogs to see what year they stopped mentioning the valve. We might be able to track it back to the actual engine number in the record books at Dave's. It could take some liquid detective work to pin it down...

On a side note, I believe Watson also offered a vertical design governor, though I don't know how many still exist. I'm pretty sure at least one. While we are on governors. Does anyone know of a Monarch governor in operation? Sam just rebuilt the 2" Monarch for the 16 Advance that my brother Shawn and I are restoring. It's the only one that I have ever seen. I have been asking around and haven't been able to find anyone who has first hand experience with them. We are anxious to get it under a load and see how it performs. I'm sure it will work tip top.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ask The User For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:35:14 PM
Subscriber

Liquid detective work?!? I'm up for some of that!

The pictures of the double tandem compounds I have show the horizontal (i.e., Watson?) governor. Height, maybe?

TDR
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Runty For This Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45:20 PM
Registered-II

On my 30hp CC Advance, the Large cylinder has only a 1" line going to it from the main (small cylinder) steam chest with a valve in it. This valve is opened when simpled to supply live steam to the large cylinder. The exhaust from the small cylinder is also directed, by another valve, to the stack instead of the large cylinder's steam chest. I think they used a small line to limit the flow of live steam to the large cylinder so as not to break anything when simpled. Kind of like a built-in gear train protection. Reeves had a larger supply line (maybe they had a stouter gear train?) The Advance is pretty well built when it comes to the gearing though.

Dave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 30Advance For This Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 06:57:53 AM
Registered

Thank you for the information about how the simpling works on the tandem compound engines.
Does anyone have a scale model of a compound steam engine?
Jeff
Old 07-07-2018, 07:21:23 AM
Subscriber

There is a half scale model Port Huron in the Wade Brothers collection in Whitewater, WI. I have always been told it was an actual compound, and have no evidence to prove or disprove. It was damaged in transit in an auto accident a few years ago, but I don't know the extent or if it has been repaired.
TDR