Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Winnipeg Medals

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 860 times

Old 07-07-2018, 06:28:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,873 Times in 141 Posts
Default Winnipeg Medals

Has anyone in their travels seen or know of any of the medals that were won at the Winnipeg trials by the various companies? There are pictures of them in the Thresherman review magazines. I would think that a few would have survived.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demoman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2018, 10:54:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,849 Times in 814 Posts
Default Re: Winnipeg Medals

I have often wondered if there where any in the case achives at Racine. Case won so many as you say there should be survivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02:45 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 3,724 Times in 366 Posts

Hi Everyone
I'm pretty sure I've been told the medals International Harvested won are in the McCormick archives collection in Madison, Wisconsin.
LeRoy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeRoy IHC For This Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts

In the many years of researching the Winnipeg book, I have never seen an actual medal. You wouldn't think they are something that would get tossed out. Companies like Avery, Case, and IH used the Winnipeg medals, and medals from other events, in advertising quite a bit. As Clyde and Leroy say, you would think that Case and IH would still have them.
Most of the other companies are extinct, or were bought out. I can see the medals they won going into private hands. There is always the chance they will show up on line for sale one day, or in some estate auction.
Avery would be an interesting one to dig into. The company endured until WW2. You could ask around Peoria, place a want ad in the paper maybe? J.B. Bartholomew was the kingpin there. He was a real Winnipeg booster. Perhaps some of Avery's medals went into his family's possession?
Kinnard Haines won quite a few medals. Is there any of the Kinnard family left?
Marshall in Britain had a few. The Brits are very good at preserving their history. I have not seen anything from the Canadian companies. The closest I have is an American-Abell token that was possibly given out to visitors to the Winnipeg Exhibition. I bought it from ebay years ago from a coin dealer in Las Vegas, of all places. Maybe some poor sap pawned it so they could play the slots?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,849 Times in 814 Posts

I'm quite sure they wouldn't be just tossed in the trash. If they were made of the metals as they were described there monetary value would be considerable, besides the history associated with them. Considering all the catagories and years there were quite a few awarded. Any idea how many Rick?
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:12:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts

I would have to count up the classes year by year. You know, they maybe made extras as presentation pieces also.
I wonder if they were made by the Royal Canadian Mint? The Mint did not open its Winnipeg facility until 1976.
Some years there was only one participant in a class. They just gave a diploma in those cases.

A quick and rough count of the classes suggests that over the years, they would have needed 31 of each medal to cover potential winners. There were also the plough classes in 1912 and 1913, but I can't remember if they gave medals. There was also Brandon, which gave medals. An equally rough count says they awarded 29 Gold, 24 Silver, and 16 Bronze over the years. I have included 1908, but they may not have had medals then.
There was another medal for a couple of the years for the overall points getter for all classes.
All told then, there will not be many medals out there, unless they minted presentation pieces.

Last edited by G Willikers; 07-10-2018 at 11:09:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,061 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
In the many years of researching the Winnipeg book, I have never seen an actual medal. You wouldn't think they are something that would get tossed out. Companies like Avery, Case, and IH used the Winnipeg medals, and medals from other events, in advertising quite a bit. As Clyde and Leroy say, you would think that Case and IH would still have them.
Most of the other companies are extinct, or were bought out. I can see the medals they won going into private hands. There is always the chance they will show up on line for sale one day, or in some estate auction.
Avery would be an interesting one to dig into. The company endured until WW2. You could ask around Peoria, place a want ad in the paper maybe? J.B. Bartholomew was the kingpin there. He was a real Winnipeg booster. Perhaps some of Avery's medals went into his family's possession?
Kinnard Haines won quite a few medals. Is there any of the Kinnard family left?
Marshall in Britain had a few. The Brits are very good at preserving their history. I have not seen anything from the Canadian companies. The closest I have is an American-Abell token that was possibly given out to visitors to the Winnipeg Exhibition. I bought it from ebay years ago from a coin dealer in Las Vegas, of all places. Maybe some poor sap pawned it so they could play the slots?
I have a friend who has some Kinnard Haines Medals
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keven Withers For This Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,290 Times in 733 Posts

Most of the Case ones exist Asked a guy I know, he wanted to keep it private for now. He has an original ‘First prize diploma’ for the over 100 HP steam winner in 1912, Awarded to Case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colin For This Post: