Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

32 Reeves Engine on 40 hp Reeves Boiler

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 10171 times

Old 12-10-2005, 12:48:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,624 Times in 854 Posts
Default 32 Reeves Engine on 40 hp Reeves Boiler

I found in the June-July 1983 E&E mag on page 28 a picture of a (supposedly) 32 hp Reeves engine mounted on a 40 hp boiler. The pic was sent in by a Edward J Cervenka (Moccasin, Montana) and the engine was owned by Edward Kolar (Lewistown, Montana). It states that only 2 engines like this are in existence. Is this factory correct ? Does anyone have any knowledge of this engine or one like it ?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,290 Times in 733 Posts
Default Re: 32 Reeves engine on 40 hp Reeves Boiler

gary can probably totally clarify this. but its sounds like a canadian 32 double simple engine. those boilers were close to a 40hp...
Old 12-10-2005, 02:47:59 PM
Registered-II

According to Reeves catalog #35 that I have a reprint of, it appears that the 32DS and the 40CC share an identical or very similar boiler with the same dimensions on the firebox and number and size of flues.
Jim in Klamath Falls
Old 12-10-2005, 03:27:00 PM
Registered-II

I just checked the list of engines Mike Tyler gave me and they have one of those Canadian Special Reeves engines. I'd guess it's the Kolar engine based on location..

P.S. Gary and Mike: I need the serial number of Mike's Reeves for the lsit DIck and I are compling.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:00:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,153 Times in 2,113 Posts

Casemaker,
When I saw your first line, I knew exactly what you were talking about. All the years I grew up, my dad, my six uncles, all of the Kolar Brothers, Charlie Tyler, the Tyler Brothers, Alva Stevens - the original purchaser... Everybody in that area of the Judith Basin, made that same statement: "a 32 Reeves double simple 'with a 40 hp' boiler." I grew up saying it myself. Kind of a "monkey see, monkey do" situation. The Kolar Brother's farmed a mile from us.

I always listened to the old timers regarding all of the Reeves engines (mostly 32s) and tried to remember and learn all I could. Then I got to communicating with the likes of Haston St. Clair and Lyle Hoffmaster. I spent many years conversing with Max Tyler, as he outlived the rest of them. I remember about 10 years ago in a conversation with Max: Everybody always said Kolar's 32 double simple had a 40 hp boiler, like it was special ordered that way! I said it did NOT have a 40 hp boiler and Max argued with me that it DID have one.

The 32 double simple came out before the 40 hp did. They built that boiler specifically for the 32 double simple. Then Harry Clay needed a boiler for his new 40 hp cross compound. Since Reeves always put their cross compound on the next size smaller double simple boiler, the 32 ds was destined to become the boiler for the new Big Forty. Since Clay designed the 40 with larger diameter rear wheels and bull gearing, that placed the cannon bearing further apart than the cannon bearings on the 32s. In order to do that, Clay had to deepen the firebox and wagon top, in order to spread the cannon bearings.

So actually the 40 hp had a 32 double simple boiler??? Sort of. I never made Max Tyler believe me, but this is the fact of the matter.

That 32 double simple Canadian Special # 6813, took a couple more tanks of water a day plowing, than the Yaeger Brother's 32 cc, when plowing. We both took water from the same spring, so it was easy to keep track. And we both pulled six sections of six disk Emerson plows.

Tom Railsback... Good to hear from you. Hopefully Mike will see all of this on Monday morning and respond to you, regarding the serial number. Carl Mehmke never new the number, but Lyle Hoffmaster told me where it could be found, if gone from the smokebox door, and Mike found it right where Lyle said it would be. I know it is in the 5000 range, likely a 1909 engine like my 15 hp Case.
Gary

Old 12-11-2005, 03:26:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,071 Times in 716 Posts

Gary,

What is the current status of the Kolar engine? I hope it is at least under cover.

David
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10:04 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Gary,

What is the current status of the Kolar engine? I hope it is at least under cover.

David
David,
I wish I could be more encouraging. There is a "family" problem, which keeps it setting in the exact spot it was in when my son, Mike took the bottom photo, I'd guess 8 years ago. To my knowledge, this engine has never set inside in its whole lifetime. Since I consider myself a friend of the Kolar family, I will stop my commentary here.

The last time I looked it over, as the late Max Tyler, Clyde Corley and Ted Worrall are doing in the top photo, it needed lots of work. It is actually setting in a wet spot, sometimes referred to as a spring. It has some flues pulled and likely would need a set. The master pinion could be shaved with, when you open the gear case. I dred to think what it would look like under the jacket? I remember it being steamed up once in the mid 1950s and another time around the mid 1960s.

Eddie Cervenka listed "Ed" Kolar as the owner, but I always considered Adolph the owner, as it is on the home place which Adolph got. Adolph is the one I remember firing it up and he loved to talk Reeves. Even Reeves 32 double simples "with a 40 hp boiler." Actually, in retrospect, the reason everyone in that area called it a "40 hp boiler," was because there were about twenty five Reeves cross compound engines within a 10 mile radius.

THOSE 32s all had the shorter boiler. I have measured the difference in the barrels, but I think, off of the top of my head, the barrel was 18 inches longer on the 32 ds and 40 hp boiler, than the 32 cc. The diameter was the same on all, 32ds, 32cc, & 40s. The fireboxes were also shorter, front to rear, in the 32 cross compound. In Casemaker's thread starter, he quoted Eddie Cervenka referring to "two" of these existing.

Eddie Cervenka got that one "off" a little too. This engine, #6813, is the only Reeves Canadian Special double simple known to exist today. As is 40 Reeves #6867, a former Montana resident, now resides in Iowa. I was just thinking to myself, I am likely the only one who has seen BOTH of these engines run? To give the perspective which "Ed" Kolar mis-stated to Eddie Cervenka, as being two of a kind or one in the same; they are not the same. They just share some boiler parts. Very few of the engine and drive train parts are interchangable.

To give an idea of how they compared, I have attached a photo of William Jurney's 40 hp cc Canadian Special and his 32 ds Canadian Special taken together in the 1920s.

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 12-11-2005 at 06:17:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:33:44 PM
Registered-III

I located a picture of 32 hp Reeves 6813 plowing in the Judith Basin in the 1930s. The Kolar Brothers traded a 15-30 McCormick-Deering tractor to Alva Stevens of Moore, Montana, for this engine.

They plowed with it through out the 1930s until the spring of 1939, when it was too wet for those big Reeves engines. The Kolars, Tylers, Ottens and Yaegers still did their spring plowing with their respective 32 hp Reeves engines.
Gary

Old 12-11-2005, 07:45:34 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
Casemaker,
When I saw your first line, I knew exactly what you were talking about. All the years I grew up, my dad, my six uncles, all of the Kolar Brothers, Charlie Tyler, the Tyler Brothers, Alva Stevens - the original purchaser... Everybody in that area of the Judith Basin, made that same statement: "a 32 Reeves double simple 'with a 40 hp' boiler." I grew up saying it myself. Kind of a "monkey see, monkey do" situation. The Kolar Brother's farmed a mile from us.

I always listened to the old timers regarding all of the Reeves engines (mostly 32s) and tried to remember and learn all I could. Then I got to communicating with the likes of Haston St. Clair and Lyle Hoffmaster. I spent many years conversing with Max Tyler, as he outlived the rest of them. I remember about 10 years ago in a conversation with Max: Everybody always said Kolar's 32 double simple had a 40 hp boiler, like it was special ordered that way! I said it did NOT have a 40 hp boiler and Max argued with me that it DID have one.

The 32 double simple came out before the 40 hp did. They built that boiler specifically for the 32 double simple. Then Harry Clay needed a boiler for his new 40 hp cross compound. Since Reeves always put their cross compound on the next size smaller double simple boiler, the 32 ds was destined to become the boiler for the new Big Forty. Since Clay designed the 40 with larger diameter rear wheels and bull gearing, that placed the cannon bearing further apart than the cannon bearings on the 32s. In order to do that, Clay had to deepen the firebox and wagon top, in order to spread the cannon bearings.

So actually the 40 hp had a 32 double simple boiler??? Sort of. I never made Max Tyler believe me, but this is the fact of the matter.

That 32 double simple Canadian Special # 6813, took a couple more tanks of water a day plowing, than the Yaeger Brother's 32 cc, when plowing. We both took water from the same spring, so it was easy to keep track. And we both pulled six sections of six disk Emerson plows.

Tom Railsback... Good to hear from you. Hopefully Mike will see all of this on Monday morning and respond to you, regarding the serial number. Carl Mehmke never new the number, but Lyle Hoffmaster told me where it could be found, if gone from the smokebox door, and Mike found it right where Lyle said it would be. I know it is in the 5000 range, likely a 1909 engine like my 15 hp Case.
Gary

Mike's 20 dbl simple is #5187--he posted that in a different thread a while back, along with a picture, showing me where to look for the engine number on a Reeves engine if the tag is missing I asked Paul Reckelberg (the present owner--along with his two brothers Doug and Glen) if he would take a look at their old 13HP #1698 and see if the engine number is stamped into that one--I was just courous to see if they (the factory) had started doing that as early as 1898--he reported back that he was not able to find it---but I have not yet ruled out that it is there--I will look myself the next chance I get. I assume that no one knows if Reeves started doing that with engine number 1, or when they might have started doing that? What year was Reeves engine number 1? I have been trying to run down a Reeves that sat out side just East of Madison, WI (near Sun Prairie) for the past 5 decades or so--I have found out that it is a 20cc! And it was sold not too long ago and has been moved just acrost the state line into ILL And I now have the new owners name, and intend to pursue this until I get its number. It has been passed over by many people who felt it was beyond any hope of ever getting it going again--but it is reported that the new owner plans on doing just that!
Chuck
Old 12-11-2005, 08:02:49 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Railsback
I just checked the list of engines Mike Tyler gave me and they have one of those Canadian Special Reeves engines. I'd guess it's the Kolar engine based on location..

P.S. Gary and Mike: I need the serial number of Mike's Reeves for the lsit DIck and I are compling.

Tom,
Chuck Sindelar just posted Mike's Reeves number as 5187. Chuck keeps good track of Case and Reeves engine numbers.
Gary