Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

32 Reeves Engine on 40 hp Reeves Boiler

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 9816 times

Old 12-11-2005, 08:25:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,117 Times in 2,106 Posts
Default Re: 32 Reeves engine on 40 hp Reeves Boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sindelar
Mike's 20 dbl simple is #5187--he posted that in a different thread a while back, along with a picture, showing me where to look for the engine number on a Reeves engine if the tag is missing I asked Paul Reckelberg (the present owner--along with his two brothers Doug and Glen) if he would take a look at their old 13HP #1698 and see if the engine number is stamped into that one--I was just courous to see if they (the factory) had started doing that as early as 1898--he reported back that he was not able to find it---but I have not yet ruled out that it is there--I will look myself the next chance I get. I assume that no one knows if Reeves started doing that with engine number 1, or when they might have started doing that? What year was Reeves engine number 1? I have been trying to run down a Reeves that sat out side just East of Madison, WI (near Sun Prairie) for the past 5 decades or so--I have found out that it is a 20cc! And it was sold not too long ago and has been moved just acrost the state line into ILL And I now have the new owners name, and intend to pursue this until I get its number. It has been passed over by many people who felt it was beyond any hope of ever getting it going again--but it is reported that the new owner plans on doing just that!
Chuck
Chuck,
I don't know if anyone has ever done a thorough check of when Marshall Truman Reeves got the deed for the Ritchie & Dyer plant? If we knew for sure we'd likely know pretty close when the first Reeves was produced. It was either 1894 as believed by some, or 1895 as believed by others. I have catalog pictures of the 1895 Reeves engines. Your friend with the 13 hp boot top stack engine, #1698 and the 16 hp cc recently brought to a thread are the oldest known Reeves engines I've heard of. All of the first type and most of the boot top stack type are gone. I don't know if they were stamped on the engine like Mike's 20 hp or not? Purportedly, the first 35 or 36 Reeves engines still had Ritchie & Dyer smoke box doors. My friend, Mark Ohlde, owns the only known Reeves steam engine motor that still has the sliding-block valve rod stabilizer. The rest all have a rocker arm. He sadly doesn't have the rest of the engine. Chuck, I am sending a picture of the old motor when it was under a 1950s vintage "rubber tire road locomotive" so many of the old timers built at that time period when only a portion of a steam engine existed. I am also sending a picture of the valve mechanism and rocker arm on Ohlde's 25 hp Reeves double simple Canadian Special, which is also the only one remaining. It is #7200.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 12-12-2005 at 03:09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,067 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
David,
I wish I could be more encouraging. There is a "family" problem, which keeps it setting in the exact spot it was in when my son, Mike took the bottom photo, I'd guess 8 years ago. To my knowledge, this engine has never set inside in its whole lifetime. Since I consider myself a friend of the Kolar family, I will stop my commentary here.
Gary,

Thanks for the informative reply.

We don't have much in the way of Reeves here in the Old North State. One double is in pieces at the Denton showgrounds, and another big Reeves from the Willis Abel collection is stuffed and mounted in a private collection.

I called Lyle Hoffmaster a few years ago to inquire about am 18 h.p. Advance-Rumely that his good friend Homer Holp once owned, which now belongs to myself and another fellow.

We talked for 15 minutes about the A-R, and about four hours about the Reeves line. After I hung up, I was about ready to scrap the A-R and go out looking for a Reeves. Mr. Hoffmaster knows his onions about Reeves, and I got a real education on what a good engine they are.

I hope to see one live one of these days. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

David
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47:19 PM
Registered-III

Since I got off of the original subject for this thread, I wanted to put it back on track. I looked in my information from Max Tyler and found where this engine came from. Alva Stevens of Moore, Montana went with his friend Cliff Wright, to Joplin, Montana in 1918 to see if they could each find a NEW 32 Reeves cross compound to purchase.

Cliff Wright found a 32 hp cross compound that had a pair of Z-Z Geiser Peerless rear tanks installed on the 32 cc, in place of the usual Reeves oval tank and coal bunker. Cliff was about 5' tall and fell in love with engine and bought it, since he'd be able to see his plows.

Alva didn't find a cross compound but instead bought 32 double simple #6813. I find it amusing, if not puzzling, this is quite an early serial number for that late of date. It tells me that this huge, inefficient user of fuel and water, been passed over by many.

By 1918, Emerson-Brantingham was in trouble and having trouble selling any huge, dinosaur traction engine, as the prairie had already been broken, circa 1912 or 13. The Wright 32 also indicates Reeves (E-B) was putting together any parts/pieces they could in order to recoup anything they could to stay afloat.
Gary
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05:53 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Gary,

Thanks for the informative reply.

We don't have much in the way of Reeves here in the Old North State. One double is in pieces at the Denton showgrounds, and another big Reeves from the Willis Abel collection is stuffed and mounted in a private collection.

I called Lyle Hoffmaster a few years ago to inquire about am 18 h.p. Advance-Rumely that his good friend Homer Holp once owned, which now belongs to myself and another fellow.

We talked for 15 minutes about the A-R, and about four hours about the Reeves line. After I hung up, I was about ready to scrap the A-R and go out looking for a Reeves. Mr. Hoffmaster knows his onions about Reeves, and I got a real education on what a good engine they are.

I hope to see one live one of these days. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

David
David,
I had contacted Lyle Hoffmaster by mail before, but I met him at the 50th NTA at Wauseon in 1992. Since it had rained over three inches, there was plenty of time to do other things beside's look at engines. Lyle and I spent a continuous 8 hours flexing out jaws and I must say, it was one of the most enlightening times of my steam career. Lyle is a very bright individual and really knows his Reeves stuff. He kind of drew me out, as I grew up with the 32s, mostly cc's and he knew the smaller and older Reeves stuff very well. I also have about 4 hours of taped information from him, as he'd had an operation on a hip, knee or foot several years ago and chose that method of conversing with me. I don't know how many 1 to 2 hour phone calls with Lyle, but LOTS. I have kept every letter from him too. His information is so prescious to me. Lyle knew a couple or three people from the original Reeves factory and he learned so much information, first hand. As a matter of fact, it is noon here in my office and I am going to try to call Lyle.

You may remember a few years back when we locked horns over the engine below. I'd sent it to IMA as a 25 hp Reeves double simple. Lyle responded that it was a 32 cross compound. I got back to him and kind of pounded on his pen with a rubber hammer, as to why he was wrong. He got back to the readers and me with his appologies. We remain great friends. If the Good Lord had made more people like Lyle Hoffmaster, this world wouldn't be so corrupt.
Gary

Old 12-12-2005, 04:13:59 PM
Registered-III

Paw talked a little bid about the Kolar engine which I did go by and see a few years ago. I will have to scan in the picture I took of it, if I can find it and get in on here.

Was very sad to see. It is sitting in a spring and (at that time) had sunk into the ground about 8 to 12 inches. I remembered thinking, the least they could do is pull it out onto dry ground!!!

It basically sits on a slight slope with the front end facing up hill.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27:38 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
Tom,
Chuck Sindelar just posted Mike's Reeves number as 5187. Chuck keeps good track of Case and Reeves engine numbers.
Gary
Gary,

That is pretty misleading, as I do very little with Reeves numbers--Only recently have I gotten together the numbers on just the hand full of Reeves engines in WI--I only have a couple more of them to go.
chuck
Old 12-12-2005, 10:39:55 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Gary,

That is pretty misleading, as I do very little with Reeves numbers--Only recently have I gotten together the numbers on just the hand full of Reeves engines in WI--I only have a couple more of them to go.
chuck
Chuck,
I thought if I encouraged you, you'd write me and ask for the Reeves numbers from Haston's book and then you'd have a bunch? You have done so well with Case numbers and since they are "step sisters" I figured you'd want the Reeves numbers too?
Gary
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47:47 PM
Registered-III

Paw, David and Chuck,

Here is another picture of the Kolar engine I took when my 1SG and I went over to the ranch bird hunting about 8 years ago. It really shows how deep it's sunk in the mud!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:50:26 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Mike's 20 dbl simple is #5187--he posted that in a different thread a while back, along with a picture, showing me where to look for the engine number on a Reeves engine if the tag is missing I asked Paul Reckelberg (the present owner--along with his two brothers Doug and Glen) if he would take a look at their old 13HP #1698 and see if the engine number is stamped into that one--I was just courous to see if they (the factory) had started doing that as early as 1898--he reported back that he was not able to find it---but I have not yet ruled out that it is there--I will look myself the next chance I get. I assume that no one knows if Reeves started doing that with engine number 1, or when they might have started doing that? What year was Reeves engine number 1? I have been trying to run down a Reeves that sat out side just East of Madison, WI (near Sun Prairie) for the past 5 decades or so--I have found out that it is a 20cc! And it was sold not too long ago and has been moved just acrost the state line into ILL And I now have the new owners name, and intend to pursue this until I get its number. It has been passed over by many people who felt it was beyond any hope of ever getting it going again--but it is reported that the new owner plans on doing just that!
Chuck
Hi there. I own Reeves #1665, and the engine number is stamped into the valve chest on the high pressure cylinder..........
Old 12-17-2005, 05:22:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for checking on your engine and reporting back in. Knowing that it was stamped on your engine (#1665) makes it seem pretty likely that it is also stamped on the steam chest of #1698 here in WI too--I will tell the owner to look again--he must have missed it.
chuck