Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Keck Gonnerman Q & A

this thread has 1646 replies and has been viewed 243528 times

Old 02-08-2006, 11:52:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Keck Gonnerman Q. @ A.

Travis, you have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands. As for as flat spoke vs. round spoke, I think most high wheelers, ie. 74" were flat spoke. However; my buddy Devin has #1446, it is an 18 horse SSG and it has flat spokes and I think they are 68 x 20 rears, I'm not sure though. I'll call him tomarrow and check. Originally, his engine came out with cast wheels 60 x 18s, but they were changed later. Keck would plut anything you wanted on an engine, but, as we say, "...it'll cost ya!"
As for as flat spoke rear mounts, when I have as much spare time as you so I can read these registers cover to cover, I'll let you know. I'll watch for that the next time I''m going through the books. I'll get right on that.
And, as for as the extra engine, which one is yours, the one with the bad boiler or the one with the backwards wheel and the wavy crown sheet? And I know you are NOT talking about #1615! Oh yea, and rent, hmmm........
Keep the questions comming!
Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 12:33:42 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,342 Times in 2,351 Posts

Hmmm, I've seen a few of the Kecks with flatspoke wheels. Steve Dunn, of Oklahoma has a beautifully restored SRM he shows at Pawnee. I know Craig Dobbins restored a 19HP SRM a couple of years ago, and did one helluva restoration job on it, down to the last staybolt, nut, and even made pretty much new wheels for the thing! (Old ones were worn slap out) There's also that one at Sikeston, MO that there was a post on awhile back. Billy Joe Rainbolt, of Palmersville, TN has a double rear mount that's been sitting for years, but I remember when I was a kid that thing under steam at the Adams show.

I think I remember Joe Graziana calling the large, wide wheels "sand wheels".

Quite impressive, massive engines, and I have always admired them.

Mike McKnight
Old 02-09-2006, 09:17:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 574 Posts

It does not matter which one it is, whether the one with the bad boiler or the crown sheet, refer to the line where I said "let me know when it is finished" . By that time I am sure that you will have fixed all those problems and more..... As for rent, I will pay the same price that I paid for those oak planks And what exactly should I be doing with any extra time on my hands? The restraining order says that I can call the boiler inspector once a day now
Old 02-09-2006, 10:53:30 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight
Hmmm, I've seen a few of the Kecks with flatspoke wheels. Steve Dunn, of Oklahoma has a beautifully restored SRM he shows at Pawnee. I know Craig Dobbins restored a 19HP SRM a couple of years ago, and did one helluva restoration job on it, down to the last staybolt, nut, and even made pretty much new wheels for the thing! (Old ones were worn slap out) There's also that one at Sikeston, MO that there was a post on awhile back. Billy Joe Rainbolt, of Palmersville, TN has a double rear mount that's been sitting for years, but I remember when I was a kid that thing under steam at the Adams show.

I think I remember Joe Graziana calling the large, wide wheels "sand wheels".

Quite impressive, massive engines, and I have always admired them.

Mike McKnight
There is a Keck at Pawnee, OK with wide "sand wheels" on it--does anybody know the number on that one?
chuck
Old 02-10-2006, 10:50:24 PM
Subscriber

Chuck, can you resend me the Keck number info? The page was blank when it came up. Thanks.
Tom
Old 02-13-2006, 05:20:04 PM
Subscriber

HalfKeck, I'm waiting on a picture from Devin with his 18 horse SSG with "big feet". As soon as I get it, I'll post it. Now, I'll ask you one. I've asked this before to several, with no answer, but will again. When did Keck Gonnerman go from the little KGC logo in the stack to the big one?
Tom
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52:23 PM
Subscriber

An old timer once told me that the stack logo was changed in late 1918. This was due to several reason mostly relating to the end of the Great War (WW1) The owners and management of the company wanted to honor the sacrifice of those who had fallen on those far away battlefields, as well as giving a symbol of their thanks to the workmen who had been called away from their duties at the factory in Mount Vernon to serve their country. This may have just been a campfire story told to an impressionable young engineer by an older one who had already consumed a goodly quanity of "sawyers water" (kentucky bourbon) and was freely telling tales about his favorite make of engine. Just wait till I tell you the next story he said that night
Old 02-15-2006, 12:36:32 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfKeck
...Just wait till I tell you the next story he said that night.
Tell me more, tell me more!!
Tom
Old 02-15-2006, 10:39:17 AM
Subscriber

This was told to me that same night from an old engineer who professed to have had an uncle that had actually worked at Keck Gonnerman and seen these events occur. Somewhere around 1910, the management became concerned that they were potentially losing sales out west to other manufacturers who were producing some very large engines. They decided to build an experimental engine larger than any they had ever built before and ship it out west to test it thoroughly by plowing and hauling etc. This called for many new patterns and castings to be made up much larger than the existing ones. The experimental engine was a double cylinder rear mount with mamoth rear drivers. It had steam assisted steering and was reputed to have such a large firebox that they had installed an automatic stoker like a locomotive had and also steam jets to direct the coal to corners of the firebox because a human would have such difficulty throwing coal that far. Solving the problems as they arose, the workmen finally completed the engine and found that it would not fit on a flat car to ship by rail. This suited the management anyway, because they wished to keep this project as quiet as possible, lest the competition find out what they were intending to do. The engine was quietly taken down to the river and loaded on a flatboat to be shipped out west up the Missouri river to an destination that the uncle did not recall to be tested. But before they had gone very far at all the overloaded flatboat was upset by a coal barge that had broken loose and the whole mess sank to the bottom of the river, most likely near the intersection of the Ohio and Mississipi rivers. The crewmen managed to survive their brush with death, but the engine was left to the mud. The management was so disappointed with the whole project that all their work had come to naught that they immediatley ordered all the plans and patterns burned and tried hard to forget that it ever occured. Since the engine was never sold and was an experiment it never had a serial number. This engine was proported to have had a rating on the lines of 60 drawbar horsepower and 160 flywheel hp. The uncle claimed that instead of burning the patterns one of the workmen in charge of the project loaded the patterns up in his wagon bit by bit and secreted them in his barn, but that they were never seen again
Old 02-15-2006, 06:38:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,342 Times in 2,351 Posts

Half-Keck, would the engine in this story be a Keck-and-three quarters?

Helluva story, if nothing else!
Mike