Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

this thread has 322 replies and has been viewed 47143 times

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,344 Times in 328 Posts
Default Re: Way Back At Milton SteamEra!

G., I hope you don't mind me posting this picture here but I thought this thread is the right place. We were at the SteamEra back in 1998, and it was quite the adventure for us! There was a threshing contest with an OilPull and (I believe) a steamer. Off course the OilPull won
I was on a very hot Saturday, and I did not take too much pictures because I also had a VHS camera with me. The next day we spent driving around and enjoy the landscape and the endless roads (at least for us Europeans) and on the Monday morning we were lucky to visit an old pumphouse with two magnificent beam engines. We spent a great two weeks with four old iron nuts, including my dad, and visited quite a few collections and shows in Pa, NY and Ontario. It was my last 2-month holiday after leaving school and I started working the day after we arrived back in Belgium. Thanks for bringing back good memories!
Marcel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steam Era Milton-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	44966  
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcel P For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57:18 PM
Registered-II

Beth i think it is a 25 not sure
but the boiler is a lap ,bell never made a butt strap traction .
portables lots of butts for some reason never on a traction
it sits in a museum in sterling ontario now
the stapely engine with the cab was wallys, it is in the milton
museum they were bell people always had at least 4 portables as well not sure were they ended up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd michel For This Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 07:06:16 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by g willikers View Post
again, these two are not steam; but my goodness, that is an awfully nice line up of early vehicles! And look at the condition! looks like some elm trees in the background also. All the big elms bit the dust around home here in the early to mid-60s when the dutch-elm came through!
I think the license plate on the one chevy says 1963. But my eyes aren't worth a damn close up anymore so i can't be sure!??!
G.
sir, first few have no bumpers. Kinda when did ft bumpers appear?? Born in 42
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13:52 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by g willikers View Post
a couple more before i go out and face the day!
A robert bell owned by wallace stapely. Not sure of hp but it has nice high wheels - good looking outfit!
And don't know a thing about the car; but it is a dandy!:d
g.
on the r. Bell, what is brace belo smokbox, towbar?? What is petite governor??
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts

Marcel and anyone else, yes please post pictures if you have them!
Nik O - don't know about bumpers? Bracket on the Bell is maybe for shoving the threshing machine up the barn gangway? Robert Bell used Gardner governors and some Waters.
Here are a couple more shots:
First is a locomobile. Not sure who the presonalities are or much about the unit but it could be one that is not too far from me these days, though not running.
The Overland car is in the downtown parade held during the show. Very nice auto and right hand drive!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton15.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	44980   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton16.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	44981  
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12:40 PM
Subscriber

So here are a couple more. They are running low kids so if anyone has other images from the old shows you better send them in as this thread will dive faster than a U-Boat in a sea full of HMCS destroyers!
First is of Bill Johnson's Cock Of The North, about a 20 hp, I think they were called the "Duke". Bill was one of the first people I encountered when I caught this disease. I had just bought a 25-40 Oil Puke and he had a good one there and wasn't too far from my home. He was a tremendous help and became a good friend. He had a business partner name Lou Holt and they reconfigured a lot of old traction engines into tobacco steamers. But Bill did have a few keepers including this Abell, a 28 George White, a 25 George White, 25 Waterloo, 22 Sawyer-Massey, a locomobile built around a rearmount Sawyer and many others that are still around the Province. One of the greats and a founder of the Milton show!
The big Oil Puke is Norman Schell's E 30-60. I stand to be corrected but didn't Norm bring this one in from the Dakotas or some where west? (I know it went back out there to Iowa many years back). Back in the 60s, there was a lot of iron moving back and forth across the border. The Canadian buck was at par (or over par) with the Greenback and the early Ontario collectors brought in a lot of bigger tractors and Western traction engines just because they were scarce here and awfully neat!
SteamEra was well known for years for having a good spread of oddball tractors - some rarer Canadian breeds and nice early stuff. They could also muster a good line up of big tractors - a couple of E Rumelys, 30-60 Aultmann-Taylor, 30-60 Fairbanks-Morse, 25-50 Sawyer-Massey, 45-70 (?) Minneapolis, Townsend, 15-30 Fairbanks, 20-40 Sawyers and many more. I didn't know Norm Schell all that well but we did do some business with his company over the years, Hillview Farms I think they were called. Good people all around and I think the younger generation is still running the company.
Since I am not a member of any club, I can make all kinds of suggestions and not get stuck running some kind of committee! But it seems to me that the shows don't do enough to honour the ones who came before - how about a hall of fame tent or something like that with lots of pictures and memories???
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Milton 15.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	44988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Milton 16.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	44989  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-15-2008, 11:28:52 PM
Subscriber

And a couple of more, the last of that b&w set and they show the old cars. Looks like the boys are having a knuckle busting contest in the second shot!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton17.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	45023   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton18.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	45024  
Old 12-15-2008, 11:38:44 PM
Subscriber

And a few more. The Sawyer-Master had a few of these on his Sawyer-Massey thread recently but I'll put them here too just because they all came as a set.
First is Bill Johnson's 28 George White and she looks really sharp so must have been soon after restoration. Not sure who the folks are on the ground though they all look familiar! The operator is, I think, Ross Johnson, no relation to Bill. Ross had steam equipment also - steam shovel, roller, Port Huron engine, etc.; he is long gone also. I was working in a field alongside the CN railway one day years ago and a westbound freight went by. All of Ross' equipment was sitting on flat cars. Never heard where they went - Michigan?
Second is a Sawyer & Massey called a 1906 and owned by Arnold McDuffe. I think the boys discussed this one quite a bit on Timmster's thread. Don't recognize the operator?
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton19.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	45025   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton20.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	45026  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43:51 PM
Subscriber

And the very last!
20hp Macdonald owned then by a Mr. Butters or so it says on the card. This one I believe is in the National Museum? Another of the calliope with Earl Carpenter's Goodison and the last is Gordon Smith's 20-40 Sawyer-Massey, also in the National Museum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton21.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	45027   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton22.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	45028   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton23.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	45029  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-16-2008, 04:25:39 PM
Sponsor

Mr. G

The b&w photos look like old Canadian Champion photos.
The car pics are probably pre 63-64 as the car club only came to the show for the first 2-3 years.

These pics were probably taken by Roy Downs who worked for the Champion. His father, Emerson, was one of the nicest men I have ever known.

The locomobile pic was taken at the old Milton Plaza as they were lining up for the downtown parade.
I think this engine belonged to Stan Gorman who was an early steam man at the show. He lived on #5 highway somwhere around Trafalgar Rd. I remember being in his yard a couple of times.

The Fox engine was fixture at the show for years, but I am not sure where it is now.

The Stapelys were also at the show for many years always parking under a big oak tree on the east side of the grounds.

Brings back great boyhood memories.

Ross
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ross Clarke For This Post: