Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

this thread has 322 replies and has been viewed 47130 times

Old 12-16-2008, 11:14:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts
Default Re: Way Back At Milton SteamEra!

Had a call this evening from an individual of great note who suggested I keep posting early Milton pictures. I tried to tell him I was out! Well, I did find a couple more.
These were taken by a good ol' pal of mine who was an early SteamEra attendee, Bill Earl. Billy is still going strong and sent me these a couple of years back. But they are small images and don't come up all that clear.
First is of the PH high wheeler, maybe when the Thomsons first brought her up from Wickie Jones in Kentucky. She doesn't have a cab at this point and they did put one on her soon after. The next one, Bill is looking down the motor as she is on the sawmill. Not sure what pressure they ran her at when they first brought her into Ontario, but I'll bet they had a good, roaring fire!?
Next is, I believe, Ross Johnson's Port Huron. It looks like it was done up pretty nice back then!
And have not got a clue about the final one. Maybe some of the detectives on here will have some ideas?
RM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milton+1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	45063   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton+2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	45064   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton+3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	45065   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton+4.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	45066  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43:42 AM
Registered-II

I really have to get Dad to take a look at these pictures. I know that the Hasc car club had a super big showing in 1967 for the countrys centennial. They did a cross country tour that year. We managed to go from here to Montreal in the 29 plymouth....not too many memories other than a pile of pictures they took.(I was only 2) uh oh...now I've dated myself
Old 12-17-2008, 11:31:43 AM
Sponsor

Gerald Garbutt died a bachelor.
He boarded with a lady named Bessy Smith who owned a farm on Tremain Rd south of Milton. She hired lots of young lads over the years to help with haying etc.
Gerald was her hired man for years.
I don't know if he bought the Rumely new or not, but he owned it for a long time.
The farm was 5 miles or so from the fairgrounds and he would drive the rig there from the farm.
As kids we would here him coming up the road as he had to pass by our house.
When he passed away the tractor was willed to Steam-Era.
After a time it was sold and is now in the Norval area.

Now for a skill testing question.
Where on the grounds was this picture taken?

Ross
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49:14 PM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Ross: If'n I gots my bearings straight, I will say on the track, just north of the grandstand. I'm saying that as one can see the judges stand from the race track days, and it stood opposite the grandstand near to it's north end. I'm thinking if it were in the in-field looking back at the judges stand, one would be able to see the grandstand to the left of it.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawyer-Massey 11-22 For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 01:31:55 PM
Sponsor

Marcel
I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our part of the world.
It used to be a beautiful area to live.
The area known as the Golden Horseshoe that surrounds Lake Ontario from east of Toronto down to Niagara has changed dramatically in the last 30 years since I left home and expecially in the last 10 years since you were there.
You would not recognize the Milton area now as urban sprawl has overtaken all the beautiful farms that used to surround the town.
Sadly this amongst other things has taken its toll on the show and it is now not what it was in the 60s & 70s.
My brother & I still keep 4 Oilpulls in town at a friends place, but we have to be so carefull on the roads now driving to the fairgrounds because of all the idiot drivers on the road.
I'm sure Mr. G & Robert will echo what I have just written.
If you ever have a chance to get back feel free to contact me to get together.

Ross
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross Clarke For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 05:56:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts

Ross,
For years, when I went to the show, I either went through Kilbride and along Derry Road or down Highway 5, up Tremaine and then on Derry. It just makes me want to to see what they are doing along Derry and Tremaine! What a disaster turning all that farm land into a suburban ghetto!
There used to be an old wrecking yard just south on Tremaine. Can't remember the name of the people but they also used to wreck tractors at one time. The last time I was in there, there were a few pieces of some older M-H tractors. Now, they have built a huge, portable factory where they build those damn houses right inside and then move them out to the foundations!
Not sure, but this bridge has likely been burned, but imho, the show should have been moved to the ag museum years ago!??! A great site, 80+ acres, huge collection of early equipment, plenty of opportunities there for younger guys to play with early tractors that they otherwise could never afford to own. And I have heard it all could have been had for one shiny Loonie not that many years ago!
Thing is now, this stuff belongs in the rural areas where it is truly appreciated. Cookstown and/or Paisley come to mind as locations that own their own property and may have a brighter future. Trying to cater to suburbanites is a pipe dream. They would sooner spend their time at the malls or other such trivial pursuits.
I have said enough - gonna get in trouble if I say what I really want to say right now!
Aloha,
RM.

Last edited by G Willikers; 12-17-2008 at 05:58:54 PM. Reason: 2 ps in "oportunities"!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,153 Times in 2,113 Posts

G Willikers,
I hadn't been following this thread and I must say, I'm amazed. They sure gathered some great stuff back then for these shows. I'm also out of my piddly 5 "thanks" for the day. Thanks for posting. I enjoy the cars and gas as much as the steam, so you haven't offended me in any way, posting that stuff. I really loved that Model TT wrecker. I remember two old "Six Speed Special" IHC trucks owned by Ike Meissier in Lewistown as a boy. The TT makes me even happier and it is close enough to what I grew up with as far as hand crank winches.

My head hasn't been this game for a year, but it is starting to come back. Thanks again for starting the thread and posting the pictures.
Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25:43 PM
Sponsor

G
I hear exactly what you are saying.
It was Alan & Annie Bush who owned the scrap yard.
They had a big stake truck and an old boom truck.
I think Alan would drive the stake and Annie the boom.
I remember many times seeing them one after the other heading out for another load of junk.
They were a little older than Dad.
Dad said Annie was a knock out in her younger days.
Annie was Vic Hall's sister.
Vic was a stationary engineer at the Deaf School in Milton.
He and his brother owned a Sawyer that was on the show buttons up until 67 or 68.
It was only at the show the first few years when they had some kind of disagreement and quit bringing it.
It sat at the family farm beside the barn where the brother lived for years. I'm not sure when it was sold or where it went.
Vic then got into stationary steam with Ernie Batty who owned a welding shop in Milton.
He eventually built the big Bell portable engine on the rubber tires that would up at Jack Parkinson's.
Getting back to the scrap yard, in the early 70's in my teens I heard that Alan had a big gas engine in the yard. It had come from Bessie Smith's. I think this was around the time that Gerald had died.
It turned out to be an 8HP Goold Shapley & Muir tank cooled very similar to the one I have now.
I went to look at it, but the head had been frozen and cracked pretty bad.
Alan want $150 which was in my price range but I let Dad talk me out of it.
Another Milton man, Johny Brander, wound up getting it.
It wound up selling at his sale a couple of years ago for a lot more than $150 and pieces were missing.
Oh yeah it had provisions for a hot tube!!!
If I had only known more in my youth.

Sorry to ramble on, but hopefully some will find the storys interesting.

Ross
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross Clarke For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 07:31:49 PM
Registered-III

Many names come to mind. A couple that a lot of people don't think of or mention would be E. J. Hayes and Carl Rowe. But also the likes of Jack Arthur, Huey Clark, Black Jack Howe, Freddie Ruddel, Gordon Hume, The Rainer's, and lets not forget Alan Byers, Mr. Clark, Albert Fife, and Bish. Good times, good friends.
Gary Pattenden and myself went one evening [as we oft did] to the 5th Wheel for supper, but this particular time we went with E. J. and Carl. We sat in the dining room, and of course we were ourselves, which meant we were on our best behaviour,...........NOT. The next night we returned [the 4 of us] and the moment management saw us come in, they sat us in the "trucker area" next to two of Milton's finest. Carl and E. J. said they had been kicked out of better places.

I got kissed somewhere betwixed the horsebarns and grandstand one evening. Not gonna tell, loose lips sink ships, all I will say though is that I could be driving a 15-30 F-M about now. Boy was I sleeping!!!

R.

Last edited by Sawyer-Massey 11-22; 12-18-2008 at 06:05:33 PM. Reason: can't spell for sum dum raisin
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawyer-Massey 11-22 For This Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35:06 PM
Registered-III

Ross, how could I forget John Brander [wooden shoes and all], and forgive me I just remember Sam Newel.

Robert

Last edited by Sawyer-Massey 11-22; 12-17-2008 at 09:25:08 PM.