Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 22438 times

Old 02-04-2010, 12:14:20 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,663 Posts
Default Re: 150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

I think that if it's a big Nichols or Reeves it needs to end up in Freeburg!

Maybe it's the elusive 160 Keck ?

Frank W.

Last edited by FWurth; 02-04-2010 at 01:04:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,638 Times in 405 Posts

Jeff sorry but WVa. would look like downtown Navarre compared to the Jungle. Has been said that you could take a man and put him in the middle of a 300 sq.yard jungle and an untrained man would never come out. 50MPH no way try 5 . I have been told I may need to ride a horse back in the last 25 miles. My brother found on his computor about a guy who rode his motorcycle(2006) to with in 10 miles of Columbia before the Panamian Police stopped him and would not let him go any futher. He also tells of building a raft to float his bike 20 miles on the nearby river around an area that was unpassable.I would guess he went during the rainy season( 7 months of the year).As for flying over ,it would be unadvisable because if the rebels did not shoot you done our DEA would. Not sure about a place to land.There is talk in the Panamian Goverment about up grading the road all the way to Columbia but that is years away.There is also stronge opposition against doing so because there is fear that it will only help bring Columbias problems to Panama.---Continued!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,742 Times in 596 Posts

Whether or not there is an engine of intrinsic historical value down there, think about the enviroment it has been sitting in: Rainy, humid, warm.

Would there really be much left of it ?

Still, and interesting find to find though.

Pete
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post:
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50:00 PM
Registered-III

Zach;Yes it would be nice to have the 6hp traction with a 150 with-in 5 miles of where they where made. BUT it not going to happen even if someone was to back me with at least $100,000 to help get it out . I will explain more later when I have alot of time to tell of all that would need to be over come.
By the way Beth thank you for offering to underwrite this jungle adventure.You must have know we are checking into the needed satellite phones. Also we will be needing 2 -4x4 trucks,spare parts 5 day supply of water , food,& Medical supplies. Need to see if we would be able or needing 2 hired guns to go with us.As for the live feed, well is kind of already promised. The gentleman I mentioned that hobby is History and diving, well he has also worked for/with The Smithsonian which has a research compound in the lake in the Canal Zone as well as National Geography. Maybe next time !-------------------TWD
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09:53 PM
Registered-III

Pete: You are correct and I have been warned about that. Though I saw lowboys that could handle it, I was told that it would be a solid block of rust which would need to be lifted by a crane to load.Neither however ,we think, could get to it.I do know a friend who went to pick up a (I think) a ZZ Peerless out west who took 2 lowboys and a D9 Cat !!!
As I will explain later, we are more interested to see if it survived and maybe get a sign erected. It is after all on an Indian reservation and a historic site ( The first Mine in Darier) which is taught in high school history class in Panama.----TWD
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18:07 PM

Thanked 12,802 Times in 3,878 Posts

Tom,

We'll need to engage a couple of loggers to clear the area; a mechanical engineer or 2 to design and build the platform on which the engine will be secured; lots of quality help to jack the engine up, slide it onto the platform and secure it for flight; a couple of pilots for the big birds to fly it out; a few more for support transportation; a few heavy equipment operators; etc.

I'd gander a guess that we could find most of the above here on Stak...anyone have some good defense contractor contacts?!?!?... Perhaps they could have a training exercise on how to retrieve valuable equipment left behind in hostile territory.

Oh wait! The engine has to be located first, clear title of ownership obtained, permission to export, permission to get there; passports; yada, yada, yada....but it is possible!!

Beth
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41:25 PM
Registered-III

Beth:
Thanks for bringing us all down to reality,but save your $$$ just incase we need your banking help.
Does anyone have any friends in the Pentagon? The reason I ask ,it would be great to get a satelite phote of a certain 20mile sq. of that jungle.One friend that may have been able to help us retire a few years back. If anyone might be able to help PM me!!--TWD
Old 02-04-2010, 07:53:26 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

The is a French company that offers satellite photos of the Earth. I forget the name. They charge for them. The Military was afraid Iraqi would use them in 1991 to see the troop move to the west during Desert Storm. Their resolution is not as good as the military. You might also try Google Earth first.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11:50 PM

Thanked 12,802 Times in 3,878 Posts

Tom,

That was partially tongue in cheek, but stranger things have come together.....

The satellite photos are an interesting option, but is it in a clearing that can be found? The rebels might not like their domain being invaded....

Only way to answer these questions is to proceed! I'll save my $$$, but if I can snag the Port Huron Highwheeler, the Russell loses out!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,625 Times in 504 Posts

I believe Mr. Yeary has the Marine Corps helicopter pilot contacts... But you'd have to trick him into thinking you're going after a 40-80 Avery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post: