Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 22424 times

Old 02-06-2010, 08:12:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,638 Times in 405 Posts
Default Re: 150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

I thought I might futher explain why I do not think,if we can locate the 150 ,she will going anywhere, anytime soon!Beth was not that far off. Though passports are easy to get, getting approval from the proper Panamian goverment dept,which over sees ,natural and historical matters is not.My sister-in-law,sister who introduced me to the gentleman that dives is involved in these matters & does not think I could get that Ok.Well if somehow you would get that OK, then you would need approval from the Indian Council,as we believe this it is on the Indian Reservation.(maybe also a National park )Should you get there approval ,then you need to fig. out who is the owner,maybe the Indians who's land it may be on.Not sure!!! Next would be arriving at a price! They always told if you need to ask ,you can not afford it.(lets me out)
Now for next step, they tell me there may be no way out.Though I have seen equipment in Panama big enough to handle it,could a Chain, lowboy and crew get out there .We could wait a few years till they upgrade the roads!!!!With enough money maybe yes.Now we all agree that we are dealing with a rather large rusted up object. So it is going to be a major job just to load.My brother-in-law works with Maritime affairs .He fig. that it was shipped to Panama City,unloaded and put on a barge to go the last hundred miles, unloaded and then went through a path carved out of the jungle.This no doubt was then used to pull the wagons out behind the 150 from the mine to awaiting boats to be shipped.If the path has not been used in the past 60 years it would have been reclaimed by the jungle.The road at this time might not be as wide as the 150 so how does one get out. One should also know that they do not waste metal in Panama as I have seen some interesting items reused .Wheels are very popular for the fences use in front of many a home or ranch.Might be rusted even off by now.The 150 did not have a cast wheel.I can only guess at what this would cost!!!!!!!
I just got some infor. from a fellow Staker-Cold Ashes- telling about a mine tour in Dariar area he has found out about.I have called my wife who is still in Panama till March and we might be able to arrange to go on it next year,even if it is not the right spot. Thank you for that inf. Any one who might know or come up with anything ,please
jump in. I will let cold ashes add his information next himself.Thanks again Dave for the e-mail!--------------------------------TWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Diehl For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20:49 PM

Thanked 12,794 Times in 3,876 Posts

Tom,

We can always dream....or hallucinate...whichever you prefer to call it!!

Where's Chuck Norris, Steven Segal or even the A-Team when we need them!

Thanks for the update.

Beth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 08:36:45 PM
Registered-III

hire the REBELS to get it out.....they would most likely accept cash.....and I don't think there would be much paperwork
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark Bigger For This Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 08:52:32 PM
Subscriber

iam getting my tax's back its not a lot at all but i have heard a little money under the table gets you far there
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,593 Times in 714 Posts

Thomas, have you seen these pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pix-dia...7616155086639/

This could be the location you are interested in - some old equipment, but no sign of a Russell unfortunately.

Another photo here:

http://www.photoatlas.com/photo/pana...darien_loc.jpg

All the best

David
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Parfitt For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,858 Times in 484 Posts

Looks like there are a few people down there interested in getting old iron out. Here is a sight showing them pulling an old steam locomotive and cars out of a lake.

Brad Hauck

http://www.czimages.com/CZMemories/f...frtr_index.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad Hauck For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35:57 AM
Registered-III

David good to hear from you again. Used your information to do a google search & found two mine railroad steam engines at that mine.I was surprised to still find the 2 safety valves still in place.These photos of the site ,you mentioned, show what I expected,an area reclaimed by the Jungle . Found out this area was a British Gold Mine which ceased operation almost 90 years age. I think everyone might enjoy &get more insite into this area by doing a search & visiting the site "EnjoyBirdsEcotourism, Panama". i am guessing it is one of many mine sites but sounds like you can only fly into this area .The one I was told about they droveby.????. As I find time it does give me more leads and contacts to follow up on. "Life is a journey to be enjoyed,not a race to see how fast you can cash out"
Thanks again! --------------------------------------TWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Diehl For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48:38 AM
Registered-III

Brad:I saw that engine on display out in front of The Miraflores locks and Museum on my next to last day in Panama City,Panama. They are also planning to bring more up and talk of build a Museum.As a restorer I was impressed with how it was done ,but not over done. Cleaned up and painted flat black (a protective coating of some sort??).---------TWD
Old 02-07-2010, 11:04:26 AM
Registered-III

Let me correct myself on how to find out more about the site I refered to a few post ago. Go to Yahoo search under" cana mine,panama"then down to" EnjoyBirdsEcotourism,Panama2" Sorry about that goof up. Tells about the mine site history and the jungle!---------------------------------TWD
Old 02-07-2010, 12:15:52 PM
Subscriber

Tom has sparked a lot of interest with this thread. But before enlistments are taken for an expeditionary force, the more pro-active members of Team Russell may want to return those new AK-47's for store credit and suspend their negotiations with Blackwater for air cover and ground support.

Some poking around reveals that Darien National Park is considered by some as THE best birding site in the world. There are several commercial outfitters offering 7 - 15 day adventure tours near and in the park (the largest national park in Panama). Most of their itineraries show a day or two at Cana Station. One of those trekkers, ANCON, may have exclusive rights for the Cana Station facilities...which happens to be the old mining center (a government grant, perhaps, for their maintenance of the airstrip!!!). This favorable government view of the economic value of eco-tourism is further reflected in a government ban on mining in the Park in 1997 (cancelling the mineral rights the British company had held since the 1890's -- even though their mining activity ended about 1907).

Tom has a good point about preservation at the site (rather than removal to another country...although someone might negotiate some of both). If 'history and machinery tours' at the Canal make sense, why not 'history tours' at the mine? The tour operators could be the best ally, as they would have another interest group where they are already operating.

The Spanish had mined gold on this site from the late 1500's (?) until about 1820 ... hence, there are a lot of shafts around the area, but it seems that there is just 'one mine'. And there are banditos and paramilitaries...three hiking trails leave Cana Station and tourists are advised not to take one of them. Not many insects in this area, strangely, but it is the habitat of the fer de lance--sleep well and zip the tent flap clear to the ground.

The British had built a 20 - 30 mile rail line from Boca Cupe to serve the mine. Some birding accounts mention two abandoned locomotives at the mine with"the brand name Curito forged into the iron". They also note much rusting equipment as "remnants of the massive" mining operations. Lots of room in 'massive' for a large Russell.

DP links to some pertinent photos. But generally, birders don't take a lot of good engine pictures. Maybe someone without dialup can dig some more shots or video clips.

Does anyone know about "Curito" locomotives?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cold Ashes For This Post: