Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 21953 times

Old 02-07-2010, 12:37:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,638 Times in 405 Posts
Default Re: 150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

Cold Ashes: Thanks for your input, I like that--"Team Russell" ,why did I not think of that.Think I will use that for my 6hp Russell support team if you have no objections.----TWD
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 01:23:31 PM
Subscriber

OOppss!!! Speaking "locomotive" seems to be as hard for me as speaking "Spanish". That should be "Cituro". Anyway, anyone know more about this brand of iron horse?

Tom, Team Russell is all yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cold Ashes For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58:12 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: 150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

Here's a picture of one of the locomotives at the Cana mine, courtesy of Willy Diggelmann. No sign of a Russell in the background though.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panama_cana_darien_loc.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	73150  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markq For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23:09 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: 150 hp Russell in the Jungle of Panama?

Another picture from the Cana mine. The condition of the ironwork looks suprisingly good given the environment. Courtesy Andrew Crawford and labeled as Chalmers, England.
http://dna.ac/Photos/cana/index.html
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cana Chalmers England.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	73152  
The Following User Says Thank You to markq For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28:28 PM
Registered-III

Davide L: could you please PM me! My PM will not go though to you.Thank You -----------Tom
Old 02-07-2010, 03:38:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,476 Times in 3,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Diehl View Post
... Now for next step, they tell me there may be no way out.Though I have seen equipment in Panama big enough to handle it,could a Chain, lowboy and crew get out there .We could wait a few years till they upgrade the roads!!!!With enough money maybe yes.Now we all agree that we are dealing with a rather large rusted up object. So it is going to be a major job just to load.My brother-in-law works with Maritime affairs .He fig. that it was shipped to Panama City,unloaded and put on a barge to go the last hundred miles, unloaded and then went through a path carved out of the jungle.This no doubt was then used to pull the wagons out behind the 150 from the mine to awaiting boats to be shipped.If the path has not been used in the past 60 years it would have been reclaimed by the jungle.The road at this time might not be as wide as the 150 so how does one get out. --------------------------------TWD
If Fitzcarraldo could move a Steamboat over a mountain through the jungle to get from one river to another, (interesting movie with Klause Kinski), then anything is possible..... The big question is, is it practical ? Of course he only had to deal with storms, desease, and the natives back then.... No armed Gorilla's shooting at him !
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02:36 PM
Registered-III

Just a quick update about what is going on in Panama:. The matter of the 150 Russell will be brought up latter this month during the meeting of The Panama Historical Society. The gentlemen that is my contact in Panama has been busy and of great help. He has shown the 1908 Russell catalog around ,that I left with him,which has a photo of the 150 in it.He plans to hook me up with a former tour guide that knows that area of the jungle from trips before.. Looks to be an interesting trip the next time I return to Panama.----------------TWD
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38:49 AM
Registered-II

Looking forward to more News when you return, BE SAFE down there, we would like to see you back!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16:18 AM
Registered-III

Thank you but really I have been back since Feb 1 and my wife came home 1st. of March . We have a contact in Panama that is looking into various thing for us.Hope to have a few things ready for us to follow up on ,when we next visit Panama.This may take a few years but after all I already have 10 years invested in this search!!!!---------------------TWD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Diehl For This Post:
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50:38 PM
Registered-III

Up Date from Panama:Just got an E-mail with the following information.The Audubon Society of Panama is planning a field trip to the jungle area where we are looking for the 150.Our contact in Panama is assigning someone to also take photos of any machinery they come across out there. Also has instructed them to talk to the guides there to see if they might be aware of anything like a large steam tractor.
Our contact has also got word of another locomotive or large steam engine that was used to move cargo from a old manganese mine near Colon.He is trying to also get a few photos of it for us and it does not present any of the problem associated with the other site!!----------TWD
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Diehl For This Post: