Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Shipman Steam Engine Boiler

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4405 times

Old 09-11-2015, 06:15:28 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Shipman Steam Engine Boiler

This is the engine that came with this boiler. I sold the boiler not knowing much about it. We should talk.

Dan Daugherty
217-521-8845
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	234378  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2015, 08:14:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,210 Times in 636 Posts

That would appear to be the engine truly mated to the boiler.

It was not unusual in that "disposable" age (steam engines were literally a dime a dozen until WWII scrap drives did in most of them) for an engine-boiler combination to be cut apart and the engine used separately when the original boiler wore out.

Such as my Sears-Roebuck engine (sold by Sears under the Kenwood name but probably made by some other seller - or sellers as variants on this engine abound.) Mine shows the margin had been neatly "chiselled" using a chisel and hammer to cut cast iron. It's now mated to an appropriately sized AMES IRON WORKS boiler but the bases are forever separate - and mismatched.

This one would appear to have been much more neatly severed - if indeed they had been mated as a unit together by the manufacturer at all. The general location of parts suggests they had originally been together - but Shipman may have simply been borrowing from past experience.

Glad to see this though. The Shipman power plants were unique in that once started, they were entirely self regulating. Truly a landmark in controls engineering.

I hope the boiler owner can come to terms with the engine seller and bring this back to a complete unit. The two components DESERVE each other.

Joe K
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe K For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 10:17:00 PM
Subscriber

Finally got around to working on my shipman boiler. After getting all its clothes off and sandblasting it, it cleaned up pretty good. I did a hydro test on it and pumped it up to and held 120 PSI for an hour. One tube had already been plugged and I had to plug another, but the rest of the old wrought iron (not steel) tubes held just fine. No leakage from any seams or rivets. It was remarkably clean on the inside. I plan to get it going again and only running no more than 25 or 30 PSI. That should be enough to have a 2x3 engine ticking over slowly. I do need to round up about 3 feet of 1-1/2 steel boiler tube. I don't really want to buy a 20' joint of it. Does anybody have a short length or know any place that would sell that small of quantity? The tubes screw into the tube sheet with a 1-1/2 24 TPI straight thread of all things. I found a die that size and that is what I used to make the plug for the bad tube. Worked fine.

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	313158

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	313159
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam Shublom For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 10:23:48 PM
Subscriber

Here is the boiler before the teardown.

Name:	shipman.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	313160
Old 06-27-2018, 10:26:23 PM
Subscriber

Catalog cut of Shipman Engine and Boiler

Name:	3332-A.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	313161
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Shublom For This Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:17:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,210 Times in 636 Posts

You probably want low carbon steel tube. My boiler (VFT - collapsing pressure on the tube) uses 2" tube at 13gauge (a common number for boiler tube.)

Gauge refers to Birmingham Wire Gauge - which is the usual way boiler tubes are specified. http://www.tcwilson.com/boiler_tube_...wall_gauge.php

Your tube is 1-1/2" and if 13 gauge would put the wall thickness at 0.095. One might wonder if this a bit thin for your application (threading) so it might be advisable to increase the gauge?

On thin-wall threading: schedule 10 pipe is generally thought of as "too thin to thread." My experience is it can be threaded but you lose the smallest diameter as the die cuts "through" the tube. For a structural (non-pressure) bearing application this may not matter as the finished thread will fit into fittings and screw properly - it just won't be able to bear full rated pressure for Schedule 10 calculation.

As to sourcing small quantities of carbon steel tube, you might check McMaster-Carr since they have a long history of small quantity sales. https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-m...tubes/=1dhig9e

They show thicknesses above 0.095 including 0.12, 0.188, 0.25.

I might verify with them that the tube they sell is "seamless." This the only thing I would use for boiler tube in BWG13 and I even have my doubts about seamed standard pipe as is sold at the big-box stores. Too many bad experiences in my power plant work.

Incidentally, for comparison, a 1" pipe (1.315 OD) shows a wall thickness in Sch40 of 0.133 and Schedule 10 of 0.109. A 1-1/4" pipe (1.660 OD) shows a wall thickness in Sch40 of 0.145 and Schedule 10 of 0.109.

Your thread at 24tpi is considerably finer than the 11-1/2tpi of 1" or 1-1/4" pipe. So perhaps the thickness is not that much of an issue for threading?

And - now having seen it - you may be able to simply remove an extant tube and "copy" the thickness. I imagine they might be difficult to remove - the "rust joint" is a now outmoded methodology of sealing pressure pipe but it used to be common. (rust occupies 1-1/2 times the volumetric space of the metal it is rusted from. And why rusty machinery always "seizes up.")

Anyway, sounds like fun. A fellow collector friend has a Shipman engine like yours which is nearly intact, to include a set of spare tubes (iirc) AND the special die to "clean up" the thread before retubing.

I could put you in touch with him if you think you need it.

Joe K
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe K For This Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 09:56:31 PM
Registered-I

I'm glad to see progress in the boiler. It sounds promising
I still have the engine that went with it. I'm saving it for you.

Dan Daugherty