Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Another Twin City

this thread has 161 replies and has been viewed 17069 times

Old 12-09-2016, 01:01:18 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Another Twin City

I see no need to drill 6 more holes when you only need 3. That is not to say that you should not, just that you really don't need to. The disc won't be out of balance with 9 holes in it versus 12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nebraska Kirk For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 02:51:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,544 Times in 641 Posts

Ditto on what Kirk said. You only need 3 new holes drilled in the center clutch disc. The timing gears in your engine are better than the ones in mine. If the bushing and stub shaft for the idler gear are good I'd run it.
That ball bearing on post #58 is a common one. If you replace it with a sealed version of that bearing you can easily eliminate the oil leak problem behind the fan drive pulley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:10:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,063 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Kirk View Post
I see no need to drill 6 more holes when you only need 3. That is not to say that you should not, just that you really don't need to. The disc won't be out of balance with 9 holes in it versus 12.
Duh, i looked at it again and thats right. It will have three sets of three holes done right, equally spaced.

---------- Post added at 07:10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider View Post
Ditto on what Kirk said. You only need 3 new holes drilled in the center clutch disc. The timing gears in your engine are better than the ones in mine. If the bushing and stub shaft for the idler gear are good I'd run it.
That ball bearing on post #58 is a common one. If you replace it with a sealed version of that bearing you can easily eliminate the oil leak problem behind the fan drive pulley.
Just got that bearing in today thanks to your thread, mine had a lotta loose.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:29:38 AM
Subscriber

I just noticed looking over KevinR's 12-20 thread that the driven disc on his tractor has been re-drilled twice, that may be just the plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 09:49:28 AM
Subscriber

I had one of the guys at work do some machining yesterday to fit the new input shaft bearing. He did a great job on the housing, turned the shaft down too far and i have to speedy sleeve it. I think he thought it better to true it up and it was worn a little out of round.
When i took the oil pump apart i noticed the drive gear keys were pretty worn and it turned on the shaft some. After cleanup i see the keyway is worn a lot worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00960.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	270024  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:40:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,544 Times in 641 Posts

Hi Russ
If the keyways on the oil pump shaft are good yet you could install new keys and flip the gear so it drives on the other side of the slot. If you are uncomfortable with reusing the gear the oil pump gears out of a MM Z or R are the same per info shared by Molinegb recently.

Too bad about the input shaft mistake. On that setup the shaft itself is the inner race. My shaft had a bad spot in it also which is why I went with the ball bearing. My personal view is that the speedi sleeve material would be softer than either the bearing race or shaft. I would be inclined to reduce the shaft diameter to the point a 1/8" wall steel bushing could be press fit on the shaft and then finish off the OD so a nice press fit for the bearing race is established.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 12:22:22 AM
Subscriber

I think we have a plan on the input shaft now, tonight was the time to remove a pound of hardened preservation tack from the oil pan outsides. Wow, i had to sharpen my putty knife three times, and that oil pan is STILL heavy. I think you could have buried it in the ground for a thousand years, dug it up, and it wouldn't have a speck of rust on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58:02 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,140 Times in 442 Posts

Remember doing the pan on 12-20. Pan on early ones are tin. I must of used a lb of solder repairing pin holes. It is quite light compared to 17-28.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 10:57:19 PM
Subscriber

Cleaning and more cleaning.
Got the input shaft/ bearing assy figured out and basically done, cylinders are honed / cleaned up. The rear governor shaft bushing had a little wear because the front bearing was in the process of going out, so i drove the bushing out and turned it around. This looks like it will work good for a long while. Second picture is a nail or belting rivet, i suppose, found in the bottom of the timing gear housing of the block. Sorta looked like it went through one of the gears, maybe. Any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00962.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	270542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00964.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	270543  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:05:18 PM
Subscriber

Actually, it kinda looks like a pin for something.
I forgot to ask, has anyone here replaced the pilot bushing in the flywheel and if so would you happen to know the size? I'm bent on doing that but hadn't decided wether i'm going to cut out the old one or macine it a lil and sleeve it as we have some thinner brass sleeves handy.