Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Alternatives to Gasoline

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 2352 times

Old 01-12-2018, 10:48:12 PM
Registered-I

Thanked 1,225 Times in 204 Posts
Default Re: Alternatives to Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Cody,
Is jet available from a regular oil dealer? In barrels?
I always get it at the airport never looked into getting barrels yet
The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Isaak For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56:45 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,199 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilpulled View Post
Gleaner;
I agree with your last question sentence. Railroads is the way to go for freight. A few years ago we had Railway Express Agency which was an excellent way to ship small freight. Every major interstate should have a freight and passenger railroad nearby to relieve the congestion. A big heavy semi-trailer outfit does more damage to a road than 1,000 normal cars. The interstate highway is more expensive to build and to maintain than a railroad is. Many semitrailers are shipped across country on flat rail cars at great savings
My town is right on the BNSF hot line from Chicago to LA. Double track line with an average of 1 train every 7 minutes. Trains over 1 mile long with nothing but shipping containers. It amazes me how many tennis shoes and TV's from China must be on one. I also believe we should tell them we will buy one container of crap from you but the container will be returned to you full of grain you will buy from us. Anyway back to the railroad, The railroads destroyed themselves with such strong arms of the unions they allowed. With diesel engines the union still required a "fireman" even had "conductors" on freight trains. Truck freight then became cheaper to ship with. Also the railroads wanted to get away from hauling people as one retired Santa Fe executive once told me "A box of freight can't sue you if you ruff handle it, passengers can".
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54:23 PM

Thanked 19,739 Times in 5,795 Posts

Rail has always the cheapest per mile for overland freight.
It might not be convenient everywhere but it's still the least expensive.
There's a reason intermodal freight is used by so many trucking companies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freight costs.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	300309  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30:39 AM
Registered-II

My old 15-30 McCormick-Deering runs better and has more power on Kero, dyno proven I gained 4 hp. Smells better too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyle Stomp For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33:57 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,199 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Stomp View Post
My old 15-30 McCormick-Deering runs better and has more power on Kero, dyno proven I gained 4 hp. Smells better too!
Yes there is more power from Kerosene but there always was a problem keeping the water systems clean and working properly to make everything working to stop pre-ignition. Heat tubes and hot spot manifolds would not do as good of a job as water injection. Gasoline was supposed to be the "starting fluid" only but since it was cheaper than kerosene and easier than messing with the above mentioned problems everyone just went to burning the slightly lower power gasoline. When my uncle bought our 21-32 Twin City new he said he put $.03 gasoline in it. Then in the very early 1950's gasoline was around $.25 and everyone converted the 21-32's over to LP as it was about $.12 This part of the country was Twin City country and I know when I was really gathering them up I would say 75% were converted to LP. I only remember 2 of the IHC 22-36's ever being on LP most IHC's stayed with gasoline.
The Following User Says Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:49:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,393 Times in 3,559 Posts

Mowed my yard using kerosene a few years ago just because I was almost out of gas and had a partial jug of kero on hand from my shop heater that I hadn't used in several years. First tank (in-filmed) was probably an 80/20 mix (80 kero/20 remaining gas in the tank). Second tank (which I filmed there) was Straight Kerosene.

Other than the rattle under a heavy load, it ran perfectly fine using up the remainder of the kero I had on hand, and then I switched back to E10 to finish the back yard.

While I didn't film it, I tried using up an old can of paint thinner a month or two later. . . The lawn mower didn't like THAT near as much as it did the kerosene and rattled badly under even a light load. I mowed S-l-o-w-l-y for a few laps around the yard then added a little more gas to the mix (had gas on hand that time) and made a few more laps going a little faster then added more gas until I was finally able to mow at my usual walking speed again only needing to slow down on the Tall Thick Areas where it always bogs down regardless of what fuel I use. Next tank I mixed around 70/30 Gas/Paint Thinner and finished mowing with it.

Some shops use Paint Thinner as a cheaper alternative to Carb/Fuel Injection Cleaner. YES It Will Run on it, but it detonates Real Easy even under the lightest load. Might work better in an older lower compression engine as a starting fuel before switching over to kerosene but I wouldn't try to put a load on it running it straight.

That's the Only Experience I have using either one as a substitute for gas.

There are Other YouTube Videos out there with people using elaborately cobbled together carb/air systems and fuel mixers and other BS but most of them that I've viewed showed Worse Results that I had just pouring it in the tank and leaving everything else at the original factory settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:33:12 PM
Registered-II

I found with the modern kerosene/ jet fuel you don’t need to feed water in a McCormick, but you still do in a Rumely but their compression ratio is higher

---------- Post added at 11:33:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Mowed my yard using kerosene a few years ago just because I was almost out of gas and had a partial jug of kero on hand from my shop heater that I hadn't used in several years. First tank (in-filmed) was probably an 80/20 mix (80 kero/20 remaining gas in the tank). Second tank (which I filmed there) was Straight Kerosene.

Other than the rattle under a heavy load, it ran perfectly fine using up the remainder of the kero I had on hand, and then I switched back to E10 to finish the back yard.

While I didn't film it, I tried using up an old can of paint thinner a month or two later. . . The lawn mower didn't like THAT near as much as it did the kerosene and rattled badly under even a light load. I mowed S-l-o-w-l-y for a few laps around the yard then added a little more gas to the mix (had gas on hand that time) and made a few more laps going a little faster then added more gas until I was finally able to mow at my usual walking speed again only needing to slow down on the Tall Thick Areas where it always bogs down regardless of what fuel I use. Next tank I mixed around 70/30 Gas/Paint Thinner and finished mowing with it.

Some shops use Paint Thinner as a cheaper alternative to Carb/Fuel Injection Cleaner. YES It Will Run on it, but it detonates Real Easy even under the lightest load. Might work better in an older lower compression engine as a starting fuel before switching over to kerosene but I wouldn't try to put a load on it running it straight.

That's the Only Experience I have using either one as a substitute for gas.

There are Other YouTube Videos out there with people using elaborately cobbled together carb/air systems and fuel mixers and other BS but most of them that I've viewed showed Worse Results that I had just pouring it in the tank and leaving everything else at the original factory settings.

I got home on Paint thinner one time, ran out of gas and had a gallon of thinner in the box, preignited like hell but it was better than walking! It was in a fuel injected S-10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyle Stomp For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:43:15 PM
Registered-I

Thanked 1,225 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Stomp View Post
Lyle, was that using the hot air manifold for both tests?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:22:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,692 Times in 6,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcon View Post
I don't think the GS&M Ideal will be a great kero burner unless you can get some heat to those chilly looking carburetors. And be carful with that paint thinner as it can be quite volatile.
Mr. Halcon,
Yes, I did not have the money to core those carb bowl patterns for the hot water system. I do have a water "carb" that came with the carb that showed up at your shop door several years back. The patterns and original parts are on loan at the moment. I can't recall whether we made a new core for the bowl or simply used an original? I know those carbs cost a lot of money to get to completion!It would take some re-engineering to get that tractor to a dual fuel state.
I like the feedback so far on the jet option. I might try that in the Wallis this spring.
My first collector tractor was an X Oil Puke. It had a real concoction of diesel fuel, coal oil, gasoline and who knows what in it when I got it. I cleaned the tank out well and used straight kero. It ran way better on kero than on gasoline, and was a reliable old princess. It had to leave to pay for another project. That's life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42:21 PM
Registered-I

Hi G The problem with jet fuel is that it is too dry to to use in a gasoline engine . O

---------- Post added at 07:42:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32:17 PM ----------

Something happened , I guess I pushed the wrong button . You need to add oil to the jet fuel so that you don't damage the engine . I can get the jet fuel in 45 gallon drums no problem and cheaper than the aviation gas that I now use but I don't know what the mixer should be . I am thinking of using 2cycle oil at 32 to 1 but that is only a guess