Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Making Angle Iron Cleats for an 8-16 IH

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1139 times

Old 01-19-2018, 02:57:30 PM
Registered-II

Default Making Angle Iron Cleats for an 8-16 IH

My 8-16 is missing its cleats as well as it's guide bands. I would like to make new ones that have a section which hangs off the wheel and am contemplating how to do this. It was suggested that I just use longer bolts to draw them down and they will curve to fit but i'm thinking that isn't the best idea due to the rims being a thin steel and the angle being thicker.

another idea was to heat the iron to red hot install the bolts and draw them down to the rim to form the correct curve. I'm thinking though the ends of the cleats that hang off the rim will not have the proper curve to them.

my last idea is to form a piece of heavy steel into the proper curve, then use clamps to compress white hot steel on the heavy steel pattern.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not in a hurry to accomplish this yet just trying to get ideas that will work.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 03:21:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,858 Times in 817 Posts
Default Re: Making angle iron cleats for an 8-16 IH

A good solid vice and a templet and a 36" pipe wrench should do it. Angle iron is really not that hard to twist.
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 07:02:28 PM
Registered-I

use 2 tractors, clamp one end of 20' stick of angle to drawbar, so that it angles back (not straight out from tractor) clamp other end to rear axle of other tractor, use suitable supports to keep from sagging , drive forward slow, stop when enough. twisting tractor will be a little forward of center of drawbar on fixed tractor, when done. maybe a little past enough so as to allow for untwist. cut to desired length. or maybe jack up twisting wheel. just a though.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:19:12 PM
Registered-I

Given the large number of cleats you'll need, I'd start by asking these guys how much they'd charge to bend some long angle iron to the proper radius.
http://www.josephkavanaghco.com/
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39:21 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,211 Times in 375 Posts

My 12-20 Rumely had every other angle cleat taken off because it was in sand country. I made a set just by using a press with the leg down and blocked them. the press put the "curl" in naturally as I pressed a little, relaxed, moved the cleat a ways and pressed some more. I challenge anyone to look and say which are the originals and which are the ones I made. No heating needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 09:09:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Making Angle Iron Cleats for an 8-16 IH

Somewhere on here a guy did the same thing you want to. He cut the angle to the final length then put the twist in them. Wont half of them be backwards if you do the entire piece at one time? He made a long "wrench" to slip over the end of the angle iron and the other was held in place on his big hydraulic press. Looked like it worked slick as could be.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:26:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,015 Times in 284 Posts

If you're going to need quite a bit of material, I'd have a fab shop with a set of rolls run a stick or two through their plate rolls. Only be a few minutes work. Then you just have to cut em to length and bolt em on. The other fellas are right though. Angle twists pretty easy if you wanted to do it yourself, I'm just lazy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Nessel For This Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 10:49:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,446 Times in 355 Posts

We had angles rolled and twisted at the same time
The Following User Says Thank You to Caleb Carpenter For This Post: