Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets > Canada
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Canada Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions

Canada

What makes a good Steam Show?

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 7365 times

Old 04-02-2012, 10:23:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,694 Times in 598 Posts
Default Re: What makes a good Steam Show?

BAN LAWN TRACTORS? WELL YOU MIGHT AS WELL BAN MY DAUGHTER AND EVERY OTHER KID WHO IS INTERESTED IN THE HOBBY. WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY GET THEIR START?....
The Following User Says Thank You to SDP For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts

That's why I tried wording my comments more toward 'regulating' their operation instead of totally banning them.

Whether it's a garden tractor or a 1/4 1/3 or 1/2 scale model of a tractor or steam engine, or even a full sized one, it's Great to see the kids get involved, as They Are Our Future in the Hobby.

The problems arrise when a couple or few kids AND/OR Adults get carried away and go racing up and down the aisles between the rows of tractors & engines and become a major nuisance and endanger themselves and others. They can do the same thing on a john deere or farmall, so it's not the garden tractors so much as 'some' of the operators.

I'm not against having them there, just the unregulated use of 'some of them' that needs to reined in a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43:24 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,232 Times in 3,961 Posts

Fresh steamed sweet corn and smokebox cooked roast......good people, good steam engines being worked by good operators, nice selection of equipment to demonstrate the engine's abilities (power eater, prony brake, Baker fan, sawmill, threshing, veneer mill, shingle mill, double incline, weight transfer sled, ploughing, slow races, FOOD, good flea market, spark shows, etc)............. Sounds like the shows I attend!

From there, I go find my steam gang of friends and enjoy!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08:06 PM
Subscriber

Yo-Beth:....

You forgot to mention Model A Fords there didn't you ?

Aren't you in that almost as much as you're on an engine ?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43:54 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,232 Times in 3,961 Posts

Yes, the Model A comes along with me....almost everywhere. Fantastic support vehicle it is!

The original question is: What makes a good Steam Show? Those are my personal preferences.

Beth
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06:30 AM
Subscriber

Ooops.... I stand Corrected

But at the same time, I still stand by my original answer(s) that it takes a wide variety of equipment to make a truely great show....

Not that I would be disapointed at all if I went to a show that had Nothing but Steam.
(And garden tractor support vehicles)

Old 04-03-2012, 01:50:03 PM
Registered-III

I like to see action! Multiple steamers working together to get a task accomplished. All hands on deck and plenty of volunteers to get the job done.

I think the announcers can make or break a show. Pick one that is friendly, knows his stuff and excited about the activities. Sometimes activities are going on and no one knows where the exhibit is or when they will started. Organization is the key.
Keep the rolling!
The Following User Says Thank You to Candy T. For This Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30:48 PM
Registered-I

Default new post

hi i have just purchased a 2.5 hp ottawa dragsaw engine firstly i require the rocker, and the rocker bracket anyone got spares to help me on in the restoration, also the prefix on the engine is C 28291 any idea on its date regards adey.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11:28 PM
Registered-I

Thank you everyone who weighed in on the topic.

All great ideas and different aspects to consider.

This will be our first show here at the Museum. We will start small and as interest grows we will add more activities.

I love everything that puffs, pops, hisses and toots. Food and beverage is important as well. The smell of smoke, sawdust, freshly separated grain and livestock creates an atmosphere of days gone by and hopfully never forgotten; thanks to all of you supporting the hobby.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,240 Times in 407 Posts

Working Displays!

It is one thing to see Old Iron lined up in nice neat rows for you to inspect and take pictures, but I love to see this stuff actually work.... and by "work" that means a variety of things, field work, belt work, or just simply running.

In relation to this, spectator involvement is huge too. My Father and I attended the show in Canandaigua last year and loved it. We were invited to ride and operate an Engine Gang Plough. The 45 minutes we spent doing this made the show for us. Everyone participating was ultra friendly and willing to talk, show you stuff, invite you up on the platform, etc....

Get stuff running, and invite the public to get up close.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:53:54 AM
Registered

Having exhibitors being understanding what it takes to put on such an event. We had a few at our thresheree two weeks ago complain about this and that while never moving from their own display. Not belonging to a club, there is no understanding about what it takes. Its not a two day event, we drilled our wheat this weekend for next year. When asked if they'd like to join, its "we don't have time". If you have a complaint, talk to one of the show directors, (in our case, the people with orange vests), not spray a one sided opinion all over the show grounds because you are uninformed.
The Following User Says Thank You to B Pauwels For This Post:
Old 09-28-2015, 09:57:11 AM
Subscriber

Great topic. I agree, lots of stuff running and doing something. I am a exhibitor and I find that the shows I like the most are those that do not allow the exhibitors to have there personal vehicles or RVs in the display area. It means when you look around you see old stuff, also you don't walk as far from engine to engine. I was surprised at how easily I got used to not having my car handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post: