Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Le Sueur Swap Meet

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1945 times

Old 04-28-2001, 10:15:22 PM
Colt Edin

Default Le Sueur Swap Meet

Hey all!

I just got back from the Le Sueur Swap meet today. It was my first swap meet, and the first engine gathering I've gone to other than a couple of local threshing bees. I was impressed by the large amount of engines there... and the several quality vendors like Starbolt that were also there. There was a lot of flea market stuff (junk) but there were surprises, like the timing gear for the 1912 United, and we got a good idea for engine prices... There were tons of LAs and LBs for sale... 400 bucks on average, and it looked like VERY few sold. Hmmmmmm.

Also, and the main point of this email, is that just west of Montgomery, MN there are rows upon rows upon rows of huge old steam powered beasts of traction engines in an old homestead, with tractors and vintage cars sprinkled in amidst the megoliths... They look very complete, just nobody seems to live there, and they "cry" for restoration! Does anybody know what's the story here and why they're not in hands that are able to take care of them?

Thanks again,

Colt Edin
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2001, 10:38:17 PM
Ken Majeski

Default Re: Le Sueur Swap Meet

The Steam Engines belong to Leonard Rynda, His father Joe,bought them in the 30's and 40's to save them from the scrap yard. Joe used to have a show in the 50's and early 60's and when he died they just sat there. There are about 53 engines there and they are not for sale. Leonard talks freely about them but I didn't see him at the swap meet this year. I would geuss some day there will be a huge auction there. Surprisingly there are still some fairly decent engines there but some of them weren't much good when they were put there. Someone else may have some more to add....

My old stuff page.
Old 04-28-2001, 11:47:16 PM
singlecylinder

I have been attending this swap meet since it started, and this is by far the largest it has ever been! I can't say for sure, but rumor has it that all those old steam engines are under a lien to a bank and therefore CANNOT be sold.
Old 04-29-2001, 12:57:00 AM
Craig

A different story, which I believe, is that Rynda's will stated that the engines were NEVER to be sold and the will, for one reason or another, cannot be broken. Sometimes these people get a bit TOO goofy over this collecting thing!!!! A friend of mine had an uncle who BURIED a steam engine (near Appleton, WI) rather than see it get sold. How much do you have to LIKE something to bury it?!?!?!?!
Old 04-29-2001, 08:41:03 AM
Arney

Does anyone have any photos of these steam engines they could post? That would be worth a trip to see that many old engines. Must be several makes and models.
Old 04-29-2001, 08:46:47 AM
Ken Majeski

I heard the story about the bank mortgage also and believe thats what kept the engines out of the scrap drives in World War 2 but with bank mergers ect. and the way things are now all banks want is money. People that know Leonard from the area figure that when Leonard is gone so will be the engines. Happy bidding.... Ken.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:02:27 AM
Ken Majeski

Arney : Somewhere while surfing the other day I ran into a video tape for sale of the engines and ser no. If they had tags. I don't remember exactly where. I will try and find it sometime in the next few days. I would like to remind everybody that it is private property and there used to be Keep out and No Tresspassing signs there. I will drive 100 miles to look at one steam engine let alone 53. There are supposed to be a couple examples of engines that exist nowhere else there.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:15:05 AM
Ken Majeski

Arney: I was easier than I thought. Just go to http://www.oldabe.com/ and scroll down to video tapes. I have never seen these tapes and won't guarantee anything. I notice it says Manchester instead of Montgomery so buyer beware, but it's only 16 bucks....
Old 04-30-2001, 09:50:11 PM
mark ilg

Hi Colt,

Yes I Live close by those old steamers. They were collected by a man named "STEAM ENGINE JOE" he died in 1970 and his son owns them since. needless to say he is a real screwball and he won,t do a thing with those engines. It is really a shame. There is 54 all together and 7 of them are one of a kind. His son is in his 80,s now and I,M sure he won,t be around forever. Trouble is the engines have deteriorated badly.