Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Liability insurance on your engines

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2447 times

Old 07-27-2006, 11:23:14 AM
Registered-III

Default Liability insurance on your engines

How many of you carry liability insurance on the engines you show?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10:44 PM
Allen

Default Re: Liability insurance on your engines

We have ours through EDGE&TA (It comes with their membership package). It's a rather good deal.

Our club's insurance carrier (Lloyd's, I think) has been "recommending" (insisting?) that exhibitors carry their own insurance. IIRC That's a big part of the reason that the club joined with the EDGE&TA in the first place.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18:24 PM
Registered-III

I got a rider added to my home owners policy that covers my engines. As long as they are covered under that rider, my home owners policy covers my liability too.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:25:03 PM
Registered-III

Hello from Wisconsin!!!
Are there any problems with crossing state lines, showing engines in a different state than the policy was bought in???????
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08:43 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,165 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S
How many of you carry liability insurance on the engines you show?
It's a requirement for just about any show in the UK. We get ours through our club as part of the membership. £5,000,000 max cover for any one event and we pay £10 annual membership fee.

Peter
Old 07-28-2006, 04:41:56 AM
Registered-III

G'Day
Out here in oz we have an organization called the NHMA, National Historical Machinery Association,just about every club is a member and it only costs about $13 Oz,the cover is 20 million if memeory serves.
Regards Phillip
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46:46 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit-n-miss166922
Hello from Wisconsin!!!
Are there any problems with crossing state lines, showing engines in a different state than the policy was bought in???????
Mine covers my engines no matter were I am with them in the U.S.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34:52 AM
Email Not Working

Standard annoying legal disclaimer- I am licensed to practice law only in Indiana. Therefore, though many states have similar laws, my comments only directly apply to Indiana law and any reader, Indiana or not, is on their own and should not make any decisions based on what I say here.

Anyhoo, generally, it is not assumed that an insurance policy applies in one state only. In order to limit the policy geographically, there must be a definition of where it applies or an exclusion explaining where it will not apply. If there is neither in the policy, it will likely apply in all jurisdictions.

Let's see- disclaimer the same length as the answer....seems about right...pretty sad, but pretty normal.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:15:00 PM
Registered-II

I am curious as to the nature of the coverage when in engine is a rider on a home owners policy.

Is the engine covered against loss or is an accident covered. That is two very different matters. I can see an engine covered against loss of value on a home owners policy. Let's say a kid runs up to your running engine and sticks his hand in the gears. Are his/her injuries covered under the same policy? I would suspect not as they don't assume your house will travel over state lines and injure someone.

I think these are important questions to ask. Any experts out there?????

DK
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14:39 PM
Registered-III

That was what I was talking about-if someone gets hurt by your engines. Are you normally covered by the club's insurance if you are a member of the club, or should you be carrying your own?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22:32 PM
Registered-III

G'Day again
With our NHMA policy the owner of the engine is covered against litigation as is the club to the tune of $20 mill providing the saftey rules are followed,there is a standard set of rules are issued to each club ,the same policy also covers the member for loss of the engine/s in transit to a rally (as far as i know it is still that way).All that is required is that the rally/run is minueted in the minutes book or a phone call to the secretary.
happy cranking Phillip
Old 07-28-2006, 05:48:35 PM
Email Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Kuhl
I am curious as to the nature of the coverage when in engine is a rider on a home owners policy.

Is the engine covered against loss or is an accident covered. That is two very different matters. I can see an engine covered against loss of value on a home owners policy. Let's say a kid runs up to your running engine and sticks his hand in the gears. Are his/her injuries covered under the same policy? I would suspect not as they don't assume your house will travel over state lines and injure someone.

I think these are important questions to ask. Any experts out there?????

DK
Same disclaimer...

Liability insurance is just that- for liability. It has nothing to do with damage to the engine and has only to do with personal injury or property damage caused by the engine.

You are not going to find insurance that applies to mechanical failure of the engine, but you may find insurance that may cover accident damage. I don't know what others are referring to as a rider. I know what a rier is, but I don't know what they mean as to whether they are talking about liability or accident damage.

If the engine is insured under the policy for liability related to use or operation of the engine and the policy does not limit location, then it does not matter where your house is. If you are talking about for accident damage, you have to be very careful because then the coverage is likely to be tied to be located on the insured property unless you specifically ask for greater coverage.

For transportation purposes, you may be able to get coverage under the tow/haul vehicle or the trailer.