Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors, trains and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Liability Insurance to display my engines?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2155 times

Old 06-26-2008, 01:10:26 AM
Registered-I

Default Liability Insurance to display my engines?

In this day and age of 'sue for this, sue for that', I assume i need Liability Insurance to display my engines at a show?.
Doing a search on here, I read about EDGE&TA, but their website wont let me join (and gain insurance) ... neither will the 'Branch' sites the EDGE&TA site leads me to.

Does anyone know how i can get Liability Insurance?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,352 Posts
Default Re: Liability Insurance

Join a club that provides it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40:40 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Liability Insurance to display my engines?

Thats exactly what i am trying to do... but the EDGE&TA site wont let me join online..

Are there any clubs in the Vancouver, Wa.. Portland, Or. area that can provide Insurance?.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02:26 PM
Sponsor

Toesup,
As the President of EDGE&TA Br 26 I can say that we would be happy to have you as a member. We are based out of the Mt. Vernon/Bellingham area, So we are fairly close to you.
Give me a call and I will get you all of the info that you need.

Thanks,
Matt Montague
360-966-3884
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Montague For This Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14:28 PM
Registered-II

branch 23 in in ridgfield, and there show is the weekend of july 19, branch 15 is out of brooks and there show is last weekend of july and the first weekend of august.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59:06 PM
Subscriber

Toesup

Just a couple of pointers when getting insurance. These are from a retired insurance agent and I used his advice - it made the insurnace agents and companies real uncomfortable but I got what I wanted.

I have in the past needed insurance for large scale steam locomtives ie 1 1/2 and 3 inch scale, a 1/4 traction engine, my gas engines both models and full size, as well as my shop.

You certainly can get insurance through a club, but please follow this procedure - I have. I have both an umbrella liability policy and insurance through clubs I belong too as wella s special riders.

When you get to the point of signing up describe in writing for the company what it is you want to insure and underwhat circumstances. Include photos of what is going on ie a show, the public, etc

This is the key part, then request in writing from the home office of the insurance company that they will cover you with the policy. The insurance company home office underwriters - not the agent. The agent has no authority - now watch all the agents disagree. When I did this two major companies refused to provide me in writing or provide me the section numbers in the policy that covered my request. They said the agent could answer my questions. When I asked the agent to then put it in writing with a letter from the head office stating the agents authority I got sorry no can do. The company that did respond stated certain items and circumstances were covered and others were not. They also followed up several years later with a letter informing me when they were no longer covering certain items.

I am not going to provide any of the insurance companies names. My point is insurance companies are in business to make money, you want to be insured. If you do not ask you may discover you are out of luck. By the way upon getting clairfication from one of the club insurances it was finally made clear they only covered me at club events not every show I went to.

This insurance thing is a real game, it is your future you are betting on and it is better to ask than pay off a lawsuit for the rest of your life

Good Luck

Bob
Old 06-27-2008, 04:29:31 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,165 Times in 757 Posts

Just a side note to the insurance issue:

Our club (Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire Stationary Engine Club) provides insurance cover as part of the membership fee of £10 annually (about $19.00 or so)

When it first started, it was for £1 million cover, then it went to £2 million, currently it is at £5 million, which says something about the percieved risks attached to showing in public and the litigious nature of the society we live in.

The insurance only covers third party risks and not the engine itself or the owner if he/she is personally injured.

Nobody has made a claim that I know of.

Peter