Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 5359 replies and has been viewed 362931 times

Old 08-18-2019, 07:38:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,476 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
Now I'm a bit paranoid of letting it run un attended.
You can get motor protectors that will lock out the motor on phase loss, under voltage, or under frequency. Theyíre commonly used on things like air conditioners and big blowers in areas with frequent power problems. Mechanical supply houses will be familiar with these devices (electrical supply houses that deal with controls will know about them too). They arenít very expensive, although many of them are only capable of breaking a 24v control circuit since they are expecting to work in conjunction with the contractor in whatever controls the motor.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 08:06:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,642 Posts

lenK thatís ok, anytime you are in this area stop by, I am just off route 3 South at exit 34.

Talking about float voltage on a 12 volt lead acid car battery, I have been having good luck floating at 13.5 - 13.8 volts in the Summer time and as high as 14.5 - 15.0 volts in the Winter when below zero temperatures prevailed. Lately, I am tired of worrying about the float voltage and generally leave it at just under 14. Never had to add water besides the old car battery always seem to have plenty of JB starting power where as that is not the case in the car.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,150 Times in 5,109 Posts

JB is a small engine, easy to crank ...Pinto sized....maybe 1000CC (= 61 CI) or maybe 100 CI.

I have a car next to my gen , outback next to the garage. I figure if gen bat is low run car and jumper cable it to the gen. But gen's old car bat spends it's life inside where it's warm, I have jumper clips on gen cables. It's a Walmart bat so it's 1/3 lighter (cheap) than real bats, so not bad to carry.

Pic of gen's bat clips https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...2&d=1540935225
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24:32 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
Talking about float voltage on a 12 volt lead acid car battery, I have been having good luck floating at 13.5 - 13.8 volts in the Summer time and as high as 14.5 - 15.0 volts in the Winter when below zero temperatures prevailed. Lately, I am tired of worrying about the float voltage and generally leave it at just under 14. Never had to add water besides the old car battery always seem to have plenty of JB starting power where as that is not the case in the car.
You're actually supposed to raise the float voltage at colder temps and increase at warmer. Baseline temp for batteries is typically 78*F. Cars are usually a nominally 13.8v system, but I don't think the tolerances are all that tight.

Bill
Old 08-18-2019, 08:37:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,150 Times in 5,109 Posts

I think cold charging voltage is ~ 14.7 V.

Transpro sold some DC charging regs for engines that said 14.7 V and temp compensated.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:42:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,646 Posts

Started my JB 7.5 today to exercise it whole house power last date was July 7 ,19 wanted to give it a run done just great my battery is 7 years old now die hard interstate my float charger will keep it at 14.3 volts dc so since i ran it today i will not put the float charger on it for some time now. i keep the water levels maintained.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,642 Posts

To prolong the life of a lead acid battery it is best to keep it on a float charge 24/7. Otherwise over time plate sulfation will start to set in and the battery capacity will begin to deteriorate. If that occurs, then an equalizing charge can be applied which may bring the battery capacity back to some extent but not back 100%. I very seldom over some 50 years now have never experienced a battery failure - or even had to add water, no never.

One needs an accurate (2% or better) voltmeter to properly set the float voltage. The ensuing float current for a typical 12 volt auto battery is generally in the range of 50-100 milliamperes.

The proper float voltage is dependent upon ambient temperature. I would say 14.3 in hot weather is a tad to high and may result in loss of electrolyte/water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,781 Times in 3,159 Posts

Not me, but one of my cats- spotted a few minutes ago at her post beside the RDJC. No rodent trouble so far.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:25:26 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Not me, but one of my cats- spotted a few minutes ago at her post beside the RDJC. No rodent trouble so far.
Nature's best mouse trap, all natural and complete with a built-in search and destroy function

My cats are pretty good at taking out larger bugs and spiders too.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:22:33 AM
Registered-III

Well not today but yesterday we had a power outage it lasted less than hour. I started my MDJB and let it power our home, counting cool down it exercised almost two hours

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to PopsGarage For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:52:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,170 Times in 1,852 Posts

Someone is looking at the house today.. so I had to move my newly acquired generators..

What better way to do so?? Tandom tow!

Think I'm going to weld on a 2 inch receiver sleeve on the back of the jc trailer so I can tow my trailer mounted 7.6 jb behind the j.c behind the 7 kw Kohler x military light tower..

Wonder how fast I'd get pulled over if I went on public streets like that??

Would make for a good parade *float *
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_083945.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	341855   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_084316.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	341856  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:07:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,871 Posts

Cool generator train!

Joe, are you selling your house? Leaving Florida? TOO hot??

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:16:28 PM
Registered-III

Yes I am selling both of my houses in the keys.. its hot, but not why I'm selling.. going to move closer to family in Loxahatchee or Jupiter farms Florida, near west palm beach, my 2 cousins and there 4 kids and my aunt live in the same area..

That... and because I can buy a 3000 sf home on 2 or so acres with a 3500 sf shop for 600k or less..

That and lots of tractors and heavy equipment for me to tinker with and sell and not have to sweat my &%$ off in a boat fixing a engine etc for a good days pay.. or I could stay and be a electrician for 18 an hour to start.. and maybe 30 an hour after 3 years.. which does not really intrest me.. or I could build houses which is pretty boring to me for better money, if I'm the owner.. but I'm sure insurance and b.s would stick its hand in my pocket

That and people are flaky here.. out fishing or drunk and dont want to work till there pockets are empty which really aggravates me.. lack of pride and work ethics.

Now I'm not saying everyone is like that.. but quiet a few are.. and I dont drink or like fish.. soo

Last edited by YellowLister; Yesterday at 01:05:38 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 04:56:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,646 Posts

Joe nice you can be close to family my cousin years back after he got out of the Air Force he had two really nice homes he was living down in the Keys area and one of those big storm hit and he lost everything like one and a half million dollars so he loaded up his pitt bull terriers and moved back to West Virginia i feel safe nestled in these hills of Pa. Wishing you all good things
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:11:37 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan Dan View Post
Joe nice you can be close to family my cousin years back after he got out of the Air Force he had two really nice homes he was living down in the Keys area and one of those big storm hit and he lost everything like one and a half million dollars so he loaded up his pitt bull terriers and moved back to West Virginia i feel safe nestled in these hills of Pa. Wishing you all good things

West Virginia sure is beautiful! I feel the same way in Montana.. but being so isolated I get major carbin fever not being around people..

Hurricanes do worry me.. but that's what insurance is for.. I can always take my irreplaceable things and go..

My neighbors home is a solid concrete bunker and has been here since 1978 so I could always hide in there if needed.. but definitely looking forward to spending more time with family..

So today I hooked up a electric fuel pump after making a block of plate for the mechanical fuel pump and ran it for a bit.. runs very good, but has the occasional pop out of the exhaust, probably need to adjust the timing, and it may need a valve adjustment. The valve covers look like they leak a tad.. so will hopefully be able to get exhaust apart and pull the top off and do that.

I also pulled the control box off and had a look...found a mud dober? nest and vacuumed them up off the voltage regulator.. inside the control box looks brand new.. this is the fully loaded version with overcrank, overspend, and high temp shutdown so lots of wires but clean and all looks factory. Also pulled the rear duct panel off and had a look, all looks good..

Going to adjust timing a tad, load it up and see how it does, and then I'll get 4 forklift propane tanks, new lines and regulator and the shut off valve and should be ready to go
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:13:53 PM
Subscriber

Nice score Joe...
( I really am jealous)

-BobC
The Following User Says Thank You to EICBob For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:44:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,982 Times in 2,098 Posts

Joe, what about the stress and money during a move? How many weeks of hard work did it take to get all your stuff from California to Florida 2 years ago (or was it 3)? To go through all that again must be a royal p.i.t.a.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old Yesterday, 08:47:13 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Joe, what about the stress and money during a move? How many weeks of hard work did it take to get all your stuff from California to Florida 2 years ago (or was it 3)? To go through all that again must be a royal p.i.t.a.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
October will be 2 years.. what stress?? lol moving 135 miles is a bit easier than 2700.. and all my big heavy stuff is up north.. so only 2 or 3 trips plus one big uhall truck should do it.. unless I can get my cousin drive the uhall..

the excitement of having a proper shop again wakes me up at night.. and people looking at my house, then not making an offer does too.. more than the first.. pretty frustrating having to wait for someone to buy this one so I can buy another one.. ive stopped looking cause I was always finding a house I really wanted but have to sell one first.. gurrrr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:25:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,982 Times in 2,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
JB is a small engine, easy to crank ...Pinto sized....maybe 1000CC (= 61 CI) or maybe 100 CI.

I have a car next to my gen , outback next to the garage. I figure if gen bat is low run car and jumper cable it to the gen. But gen's old car bat spends it's life inside where it's warm, I have jumper clips on gen cables. It's a Walmart bat so it's 1/3 lighter (cheap) than real bats, so not bad to carry.

Pic of gen's bat clips https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...2&d=1540935225
Len, I just checked out the picture in your link. It looks like you are having a garage sale with items neatly on display waiting for a buyer

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old Yesterday, 10:34:00 PM
Registered-III

YellowLister, you really need an old railroad reefer car genset to make a proper generator train

If you move, I will miss your pictures in the winter when it's cold up here. I will have to rely entirely on my friend on St Croix after that. He posts the weather occasionally in the winter which is 80 and sunny everyday. He also gets the fun of mother nature's big eraser every few years when they get a doosie hurricane so I suppose everything is a tradeoff.

Northern Maryland is pretty beautiful too, and you're less than an hour out of the East Coast Megalopolis there. It's actually pretty amazing how quickly you go from rural mountain towns to massive developments out there. The downside is the taxes, taxes, and more taxes. It's better with Hogan, but still a lot. Check out Hogans tax ad he used against his opponent (the former lieutenant governor) when he first ran -- it's hilarious!

Bill