Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Mounting on a Trailer

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1636 times

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39:30 PM
lowboy

Default Mounting on a Trailer

hello
i'm going to purchase a large engine (8 hp witte)
is there a "rule of thumb " for mounting these, ie, center of crank over front axle? the trailer is homemade 16 x 7 flat bed
center of 2 axles is 11' 4" has almost no tounge weight now
the axles are 5 bolt ford if you need more info let me know
Thanks Lowboy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 09:45:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,977 Times in 815 Posts
Default Re: mounting on a trailer

You have more then enough trailer for that engine. I would say mount your engine over the front axle. Then go get a couple more engines to put on there.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07:29 PM
lowboy

Default Re: mounting on a trailer

thanks vernOn
Got a couple more 1 1/2 wittes gonna use car screw jacks on the corners to help prevent "rock and roll" thanks
Lowboy
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20:31 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,461 Times in 4,171 Posts
Exclamation Re: Mounting on a Trailer

Just make sure when you are done, that you have at least 100 to 150 pounds of tongue weight, if not more. Too light on the tongue, and you will develop the 'wobblies, where the trailer will try to steer the truck, instead of following it! Also, be sure to set the trailer brakes properly. You want them to provide even and steady braking, without locking up in wet or loose gravel conditions. What may be a good settingon a dry road, may be too much for wet road conditions. A skidding trailer is no fun at all, and may present a dangerous condition, both to you and other motorists. As an added note, inspect the rear suspension on your towing vehicle as well, before you tow. i found a severely deteriated spring shackle on my 10 year old Dodge truck, that surely would have broken in two, if I had tried to tow my trailer. Look carefully at the tow bar mounting, the spring mounting points, and the shocks. Any sign of heavy rust, paint blistering, leaking of fluids, or loose bolts/nuts, must be addressed before you tow.

Have a look at the trailer as well. Look for frayed wires, suspension mounting, tire inflation and condition, brake wiring and emergency brakeaway battery state of charge. Check the ball and make sure it is the proper size for your hitch.

A quick look and preventive repair will save a lot of headache later.

Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16:39 AM
In Memory OF

Default Re: Mounting on a Trailer

Andrew is right on about the tounge weight. I would opt for the 150# rather than the 100#. If you have ever had a trailer take off with the "sway" deal you WILL be more carefull. You usually take up the whole road getting it back under control.
Walt
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14:23 AM
lowboy

thanks for all the info loaded it with crank centered on the front axle pulled like a dream at 65 mph plus
now i need to grow some a$$ to start it haha
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07:07 AM
Registered-III

One other thing that is important in mounting a big/heavy engine it is important that the bolts holding it to the floorof the trailer should be put UP through the floor. This way the nuts are always in sight . If the nuts are put on the bottom they could loosen and fall off leaving the engine with basically nothing to hold it on. Good luck in a good hobby, Joe Morris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Morris For This Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44:20 PM
Subscriber

The ideal set-up condition for towing a trailer is where the tongue weight is 10% of the total trailer weight. I have found this to be true from my small 2000# 2 wheel utility up through my 14,000# fifth-wheel hitch. If you do install jacks, place them at an angle and not vertical. I learned this the hard way on my first show trailer. Installed the swing-down style and was careful to have them perpendicular. Well, they only helped a little for trailer bounce and did nothing to minimize lateral motion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve NW Ohio For This Post: