Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan W2C Fairbanks Morse Repair

this thread has 650 replies and has been viewed 26231 times

Old 01-11-2019, 08:39:13 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan W2C Fairbanks Morse Repair

Sounds like maybe someone adjusted gain when they should have adjusted speed. I bet if you backed the gain off then set the speed correctly on both sets *indepently* you’d be in good shape. Sounds like you’re off now so it’s a “not your problem problem”, which happen to always be my favorite kind of problem

If one set is weak and can’t throttle up quickly enough that might be what you’re seeing too, so a mechanical problem manifesting on the electrical end. If the two sets are waaay different in hours or maybe operating history that might be a problem too. It’s best to have paralleled sets pretty similar to make balancing easier.

If you only need a relative measurement of a PWM signal you can use a resistor and capacitor as a low pass filter to convert the PWM signal into a voltage. Best to use an analog volt meter if you try this trick.

Have fun on your well deserved shore leave angry! Seems this past trip was less eventful than your last one with that blown engine/cylinder though.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,006 Times in 553 Posts

We are having a “speed” control issue sometimes at start up which is fairly new. I wonder what else for fried when that CT shorted to the bus bar

I’m still on board for two weeks but we’re on shore power and I have a main reduction gear and clutch to change before I can go home.

Resistors, capacitors and analog meter in ships stock??? GOOD GOD MAN THATS CRAZY TALK
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
We are having a “speed” control issue sometimes at start up which is fairly new. I wonder what else for fried when that CT shorted to the bus bar

I’m still on board for two weeks but we’re on shore power and I have a main reduction gear and clutch to change before I can go home.

Resistors, capacitors and analog meter in ships stock??? GOOD GOD MAN THATS CRAZY TALK
With new technology emerging, maybe in 20 years a 3D printer will "make" you the parts not stocked on the ship from pictures and specs from the internet. GOOD GOD MAN THAT'S CRAZY THINKING

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34:13 PM
Registered-II

Apparently we have the only boat post office here in Detroit (zip 48222): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._W._Westcott_II
So I suppose I could mail you needed resistors and capacitors if you pass through the Detroit river

I wouldn’t expect the CTs to be tied back into the speed control, but maybe that’s how they were doing droop compensation on your setup? Man, you could be in for some serious wire tracing trying to track that down. I’d try isolating each genset, setting the speed and gain correctly for each set independently using an accurate meter, then parallel the sets and tweak the gain a bit to get them stable and evenly sharing. You should be able to get pretty close, within maybe a few percent, and any variation should be a slooow cycle. You don’t want any rapid oscillations since those can lead to instability.

JohnnyC, you’re close to my old joke with my supply house: “can you fax that part to me so I don’t have to drive to get it?”. Years ago when fedex launched their “custom critical” super duper service our rep at work called me up and said they could ship anything to anywhere at anytime. I said it would be really great if I could ship stuff to yesterday. They did laugh as said I got them with that one

Bill
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42:40 PM
Subscriber

Johnny, they’d probably buy print media or whatever it’s called from China so the part is ultimately made in China anyways
Pic related
Tea, earl grey. Hot.

Zephyr, this system is an abortion. There are separate CT’s for the load sharing and AVR’s. The one engine is new with just over 6000hrs on it. The one with the gain maxed has 52k hours on it... probably a total rebuild at 25k hours which is due again this winter. It’s funny that a new problem developed before I changed the CT, which was speed related. The oscillation was real bad with the CT fubar. It’s better but still not right. Of course because it’s “better”, no one else who matters seems to notice there’s anything wrong...

Yes I use J.W. Westcott all the time! Yes CBSA, I ALWAYS DECLARE my goods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F0EDBB8-02FA-4E00-B120-267D6DD51645.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	326178  
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37:16 PM
Subscriber

Starting into winterizing the ship, draining steam lines, antifreeze in toilets... everywhere water can collect must be drained, pumped linseed soap into the stern tube and sea cocks... Turbo charger is due for service. Found damage in pics when we disassembled. Funny thing is the broken parts and foreign debris that caused the damage aren’t trapped in the charge air cooler did someone put this together in this condition I can’t believe it didn’t vibrate itself apart.

Went to wal-mart this evening, stocked up on flannel shirts and pogey coats. Found a “Red Ryder carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time” on clearance for $22 and couldn’t pass it up. My nephew is young and there are pics of him on face book wearing a dress at 7 yrs old so I figured the least his crotchety uncle could do was buy him his first gun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A29B2F0-D0FA-4478-9878-5723EC1064C9.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	326334   Click image for larger version

Name:	93263081-6B75-4BBC-93E8-F64A5277C79C.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	326335   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E4D71C8-E26A-41D5-AB99-9A31C346E437.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	326336   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC5A6B76-EA3C-492E-B9AA-ED2C70FD6B2E.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	326337  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:43:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,717 Posts

Do you think that turbo charger is too small fir my hello kitty AJ?

Johnnyc
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03:25 AM
Subscriber

not at all, hello kitty will fit inside with room to spare, and this is a SMALL turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 05:35:14 AM
Subscriber

That must have been one noisy bugger. Looks like it ate something??
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14:07 AM
Registered-II

That turbo must have sounded odd. I’m guessing it wouldn’t just make the usual high-pitched whine. I’ve never been in the engine room on a ship though, so maybe next thing can be heard there?

I’m guessing it may have eaten a washer. See the notch in a bunch of the blades? I had a genset where a washer fell into the fan on the generator end and it made a similar pattern in some of those blades.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post: