Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Took a gamble and lost? Onan 6.0DJE

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 2080 times

Old 02-19-2016, 09:57:58 PM
Kpack

Default Re: Took a gamble and lost? 6.0DJE

You probably gave to much but we all have at sometime or another, that's how we learn maybe a cheap lesson. I've been burned a couple of times by people I trusted. These guys will help you get it running and you'll have a great generator.
Man I hate to say it but stay away from the onan dealers, I wish it weren't that way but it is. You can't take a old ford or Chevy to a new car dealer, same with these old generators.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 09:21:27 AM
Registered-II

A low hour MEP-002 (which is military equivalent of DJE, same motor mostly) was lightly locked up when I got it from auction.

I took the glow plugs out and soaked with mystery oil & tranny fluid, or similar mix, and was able to ease it free a bar across the flywheel protrusions. It runs fine now with no sign of damage or excess smoking.

The best way is probably to take the head off, but I took the lazy way first (and did not torque on anything too hard) and I lucked out.

When the rust ring gave way, I got a blast of water & oil mix on my shoulder at surprisingly high pressure, good thing my face was not in the way.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:59:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,646 Times in 6,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joechambers View Post
There was water in the oil or better put oil in the water. I paid $800 for it it is as clean as a whistle tins are showroom new and the ID plate shines like a new penny. I dropped it off at the Onan/Cummins shop for a quick service before I took it home and got the bad news call today. I'm going to pick it up and try soaking it at this point as there isn't much to loose.
Never ever take an old Onan to a Cummins/Onan dealer for any kind of work. Because 99% of them have no idea what they are looking at. Take it home and check it over yourself. The guys here can send you the service manual. The people on this site know more about Onans than the new Onan people do.

I was a certified Onan tech from 1980 to 2008 so I know a little bit. Still working on Onans.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Took a gamble and lost? Onan 6.0DJE

Finally getting the time to get back into this beast... After I started the thread I removed the head and started to cry.... Cylinder 1 was in perfect shape the second.... Full of water. I evacuated the water filled the cylinder up with PB blaster and tried to break it free. It soaked for weeks and weeks but unfortunately no joy.

I haven't torn it down and removed the piston yet if the cylinder is badly pitted can it be bored over or sleeved?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:28:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,397 Posts

Cut a 4x4 block of wood to fit inside the cylinder.. whack it with a sledge hammer a few times.. see if it moves. Finding oversized dje pistons is a challenge.. I'm sure there out there just costly.. maybe someone will know what piston will cross reference to it

Pics??? I've got alot of stuck onans unstuck.. and some not..
Old 11-08-2016, 07:59:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,550 Times in 911 Posts

You should be able to sleeve the cylinder back to std. Any machine shop worth their salt could do it. Lay a beating on the piston with a block of wood or put the whole block in a hydraulic press and try to get it to move. If the rest of the engine is in good shape it is worth it to fix. Cheers Dan
Old 11-08-2016, 08:05:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,855 Posts

Did you pull the pan and see if there was water damage to the crank? If it is OK, then heat the cylinder and try the wood block and mallet traick as yellowlister mentioned. Make sure it fits the cylinder snug. Once you bop the piston loose, you may just need a cleaning and a glaze break honing to get the cylinder serviceable again, with not new parts except for gaskets! Any water in other cylinders?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:58:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,460 Posts

One important thing to remember is that the engine probably took considerable time to get "stuck", and that it is reasonable to expect it to take some time to become " unstuck". In other words, getting in a hurry can easily cause wasted money and unnecessary frustration.

My advice- Put your favorite miracle unsticking concoction in it and let it sit for as long as you can stand before heating, whacking, prying etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:21:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,397 Posts

I found some 30 over dje pistons I forgot I had.. they came out of a dje that had the same issue as yours.. I had to smack one piston really good.. the other is really nice
Old 09-26-2017, 12:57:13 PM
Registered

It has been a long time but I finally got back to this project. I was able to free the engine up using some PB Blaster, time and in the end brute force.

I Had intentions of getting to work on in one afternoon last spring, pulled the head filled the cylinders with PB blaster and let it soak. One thing led to another and I got distracted by other projects, fast forward to a few weeks ago, a 4X4 and dead blow hammer and got it freed up.

Since getting it freed up I have ran it a couple of times and changed the oil and filters twice, last change looked good and no signs of water. I have also re-wired it for single phase 120/240, and ran it for a couple of hours at about 50% load with the voltage and frequency holding acceptable limits.

The plan now is to put this Onan in as my primary generator (we are off grid) in place of my Honda 5500 which will serve as a backup. The Onan is capable of being remotely started and I have a full Schneider Context set up which will handle the AGS/ATS functions but the question is which terminals on the Onan get used? And is the start circuit N/O or N/C?

B+ is simple
1 = ?
2 = ?
3 = ?
H = ? (Heater?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Joechambers For This Post: