Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan BFA-4.0


this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 829 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:49:48 PM
JohnnyC JohnnyC is online now
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Posts: 4,716
Thanks: 1,607
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
It's a shame I tell you! Of all those people wanting to get generators there's not a one of them that would probably want a 1970s era Onan, just you and i would.
... I think you may be wrong. Last year I put my 4.0 BFA in an unrestored condition head to head with a new Champion 4000 (those Chinese made yellow pieces of crap sold in every home box store). Both ran for about 26 hours with a decent load on each. The Onan ran 1000000% flawlessly while the Champion started to degrade shortly after the start of the competition and needed constant attention. It ended when the Champion threw a rod and crack the block. The Onan was so trouble free I almost forgot it was running. The entire competition was broadcasted live over the internet with commentary on this forum and a GoFundme account was opened to help with fuel costs (and all remaining money went to this site as a donation). The competition was called "The Death Match". As far as I'm concerned, China can take back all those p.o.s. junkerators and I'll take an Onan any day over those junkerators. In all fairness, I would also consider the classic Kohlers and the others old school American made generators that have a strong track record too.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:06:47 PM
opus opus is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trout Creek, Montana USA
Posts: 433
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Funny, my Champion screamer is terribly reliable, far more than any Onan I've owned. That said, I'd rather the Onan but the Champion, one pull and thats it. No carb fiddling, no points, you know the whole drill.

Listening to the Champion is great...for 2 minutes. Actually, for an open frame it is "pretty" quiet.

I used a Honda EU2000 a couple weeks ago, that was the ticket! I dont ever need more load than what that offers, it was quiet and efficient. And with that also said, as I peruse forums, I have read more troubles with Honda generators than any other.

To sum it all up, I just had a great steak dinner!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13:02 PM
JohnnyC JohnnyC is online now
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Posts: 4,716
Thanks: 1,607
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Funny, my Champion screamer is terribly reliable, far more than any Onan I've owned. That said, I'd rather the Onan but the Champion, one pull and thats it. No carb fiddling, no points, you know the whole drill.

Listening to the Champion is great...for 2 minutes. Actually, for an open frame it is "pretty" quiet.

I used a Honda EU2000 a couple weeks ago, that was the ticket! I dont ever need more load than what that offers, it was quiet and efficient. And with that also said, as I peruse forums, I have read more troubles with Honda generators than any other.

To sum it all up, I just had a great steak dinner!
Put a constant load of at least 80% or more on the Champion and see what happens within 1 to 2 hours, maybe less. Let us know what happens by Sunday night. Have another generator on deck as backup.
Oh, as far as the Champion being a one pull start, your BFA is a one finger push button start , can't beat that!

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15:31 PM
Wayne 440 Wayne 440 is online now
Registered-III
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,890
Thanks: 358
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

The thing is that most people have no idea how much better an older Onan, Kohler, Winco etc. is than the stuff sold today. And the companies who sell generators today certainly won't tell them. So they rely on "research" based on mostly TV ads and sales flyers, where sets made by "you-know-who" are promoted as apparently the next best thing to being plugged into the power plant at Hoover Dam.

If I was responsible for some of that marketing, I couldn't face myself in the mirror every morning. I feel sorry for those people who thought they were ready for these 2 storms, only to find out that their equipment was not up to the task. "Are you ready for a power outage?", my --- well you know.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
  #15  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17:18 PM
opus opus is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trout Creek, Montana USA
Posts: 433
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
your BFA is a one finger push button start , can't beat that!
Unless the battery is dead or missing.

---------- Post added at 07:17:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
The thing is that most people have no idea how much better an older Onan, Kohler, Winco etc. is than the stuff sold today. And the companies who sell generators today certainly won't tell them. So they rely on "research" based on mostly TV ads and sales flyers, where sets made by "you-know-who" are promoted as apparently the next best thing to being plugged into the power plant at Hoover Dam.

If I was responsible for some of that marketing, I couldn't face myself in the mirror every morning. I feel sorry for those people who thought they were ready for these 2 storms, only to find out that their equipment was not up to the task. "Are you ready for a power outage?", my --- well you know.
Ever wonder why the Ford 300-6 is no longer? It was too good, never wore out, lasted too long. Its all about the sales now, not reliability.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30:32 PM
JohnnyC JohnnyC is online now
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Posts: 4,716
Thanks: 1,607
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Unless the battery is dead or missing. [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:17:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15:38 PM ----------
Easier to replace a dead battery (or jump the genset) than replacing a snapped pull start cord that is only slightly stronger than sewing thread .

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:31:58 PM
opus opus is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trout Creek, Montana USA
Posts: 433
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Touche'!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36:09 PM
JohnnyC JohnnyC is online now
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Posts: 4,716
Thanks: 1,607
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

The Death Match story revisited.. Onan 4.0 BFA vs China's finest Champion 4000


https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...ht=death+match

(There are youtube video links embedded in some of the responses showing the Onan and it's competition as well as the highlights )

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52:28 PM
opus opus is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trout Creek, Montana USA
Posts: 433
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Impressive but one would be a fool to ever use a cheap genset in those conditions!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:01:29 PM
JohnnyC JohnnyC is online now
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Posts: 4,716
Thanks: 1,607
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Just some of the you tube videos showing the BFA and the Champion before and during the competition. After watch these would you trust a cheap Chinese made generator, but extremely popular generator during a hurricane outage?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3o...ature=youtu.be
**** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQ9...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAy...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDg...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSY6RQ8gMS0


JohnnyC
New Jersey
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43:38 PM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277