Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan BFA-4.0

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 636 times

Old 09-15-2017, 10:19:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan BFA-4.0

Its kinda like comparing a 200hp 4 cyl to a 200hp V8. We know which ones going to outperform.

Today, sadly, we are in need of electronic safe, clean power more than ever before. I dont know which way I'd turn, but I dont think it would be either of those units.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 10:45:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Its kinda like comparing a 200hp 4 cyl to a 200hp V8. We know which ones going to outperform.
--- snip ---
Yes and no. What is boils down to in this competition is if the specifications says it will do 3500 watts continuous, I expect it to do it regardless if it is a 2 cylinder or a single cylinder motor.

Just an FYI - I tried to reach out to all corners about this competition. I was able to post onto the China's Consulate General's website as seen in the first picture below. Sorry about the poor picture quality, but I took a snapshot of my PC screen using my smart phone. The Chinese deleted my posting within 30 minutes. Go figure. In all fairness I also posted to Trump's Facebook Presidential campaign website too. The posting was not deleted and Secrete Service was not at my front door the next day either . If I posted to Clinton's campaign website, she most likely would send flowers and an apology to China for my political incorrectness

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	291308   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	291310  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:47:53 PM
Registered-II

It did 3500w continuous...they didnt say for how long it would do it though. LOL!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:02:17 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
It did 3500w continuous...they didnt say for how long it would do it though. LOL!
LOL - Here is the meaning of Continuous from the dictionary

conˇtinˇuˇous
/kənˈtinyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: continuous

1. forming an unbroken whole; without interruption.
"the whole performance is enacted in one continuous movement"

synonyms: unceasing, uninterrupted, unbroken, constant, ceaseless, incessant, steady, sustained, solid, continuing, ongoing, without a break, nonstop, around/round-the-clock, persistent, unremitting, relentless, unrelenting, unabating, unrelieved, without respite, endless, unending, never-ending, perpetual, everlasting, eternal, interminable; consecutive, rolling, running; archaic without surcease
"the rain has been continuous since early this morning"

Maybe by China's definition continuous is lass than 30 minutes????opus, try putting a 3500 watt load on your Champion and if it handles it continuously for more than 2 hours I will donate $20 to this site (Harry). The load must be a continuous, not intermittent. Electric room heaters will cut back once they reach a set temperature or overheat and the main reason why I used hard wired stove top electric elements during the Death Match.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04:49 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
opus, try putting a 3500 watt load on your Champion and if it handles it continuously for more than 2 hours I will donate $20 to this site (Harry). The load must be a continuous, not intermittent. Electric room heaters will cut back once they reach a set temperature or overheat and the main reason why I used hard wired stove top electric elements during the Death Match.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
NO...and you cant make me!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:21:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
NO...and you cant make me!
Well, I tried

If you were closer, I would take your Onan 4.0 BFA off your hands, but unfortunately I am on the east coast. Hopefully, it will find a good home soon.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46:26 PM
Subscriber

I'd be all over the BFA myself if it wasn't all the way cross the country.

But in all fairness, after Harvey My co-workers ran all sorts of generators to keep their freezers solid. Even the lowly Predators made the day. out of all the guys I work with no one complained that their genset crapped out on them. Well excepting the guys who had a big Kohler set setting outside their building that the execs never had hooked up. They were a bit ticked off.

During a storm just about any generator that fires up and makes power is a good one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 08:35:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,689 Times in 6,442 Posts

I got called to a tower site because the generator failed. 150 miles out there. Found no battery,no fuel tank,no wiring to building. Called the company that owned the thing. Got into a pissing match because the guy told me it had run last week. Then I told him what I found. Phone went dead.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:34:13 PM
Registered-II

....and all 3 prospective buyers bailed on me, lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
....and all 3 prospective buyers bailed on me, lol.
That's fairly common for Craigslist buyers. I hear it all the time from sellers when I show up to take a look. Typically they get a number of people who call to say they are coming, then never show. So when buying, unless it is a super deal, wait a few weeks for the seller to learn that the world is not beating a path to his door.

I have a few BFA's. Great generators but most people don't want them because they are too heavy and 120 volts only. I tried to give ( FREE ) a fully functioning BFA to a relative who was crying about not having a generator. The response was: "You mean I have to buy a cart and a battery? Gee... I don't know...". So I agreed that the BFA was not for him, and he would be much better off with a pretty new Chinese screamer.

Guy locally on Craigslist has been trying to sell a $425 BFA for months now. "Just Reduced!" It's been "just reduced" for months. Good luck on that!