Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 4BGEFA26100K RV Generator Help

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 351 times

Old 09-22-2017, 06:35:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Onan 4BGEFA26100K RV Generator Help

My son has a vintage 1995 RV with a nice little generator in it. It was running great last time they used it. has about 400 hrs on it. Here is what he told me about the situation. He left some house lights on in the rv for several weeks, by mistake, all of the rv batteries went dead. Starting battery and the two 6 volt "house" batteries. He charged them all back up and the batteries seem to be fine now, but the genny does not start. It turns over but does not fire. He said he tried carb cleaner in the intake and still no sign of it trying to start. So I assume no spark. I don't know much about RV's and he is still learning about them. He says the fuel will shut off to the genny if the fuel tank is below a quarter tank. the tank guage reads half full. He checked some fusses and breakers, but still no luck. Sooo, where do you start trouble shooting these things. I know there are a lot of safety lockout circuits built into these things. Is there a manual I can get from someone here. He has limited info on the RV and Genny, and this RV stuff is all pretty new to him. I have a feeling this problem may be fixed with just a flip of a switch or a blown fuse. Wishful thinking ?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 07:41:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Re: onan 4BGEFA26100K RV gen help

The Twinslan site is still down, but you should be able to pick up the manuals here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DZmX19sb1FIN28

965-0128 Operator
965-0528 Service
965-0231 Parts
965-0628 Install

I don't think running the batteries down had anything to do with the no start problem. Use an inline spark tester to verify the no spark condition. If no spark is present, follow the troubleshooting guide in the service manual. The Spec K BGE has electronic ignition with the dreaded plastic arms holding magnets used to trigger the ignition. The most likely cause of a no spark condition in this model is a mouse built a nest inside the generator, and when it was cranked to start it, the plastic arms hit the mouse nest and snapped off. But then again, you may get lucky and it will be something easier to fix.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:48:27 PM
Subscriber

thanks Kevin, I have read about that dreaded plastic arm in so may threads here, I never thought it might apply to a problem I have. hope its not that for sure. Thanks for the info
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,209 Posts

Mikey, I have the same 4BGE. Mine is a few years newer and a fine set other than the ignition trigger and having to keep the slip rings clean on the generator end to keep from blowing out the regulator. I bought an extra ignition trigger piece because they are now obsolete. My set hoever is run on propane so I don't have the gumming troubles with gasoline.
As to your set not starting. Pull a plug wire and put another spark plug into the wire and lay the plug on the engine. NEVER crank the engine with the plug wires just hanging and not grounded as you can damage the electronic ignition module. With the plug where you can see the plug gap, crank the engine and see if you have spark. Make sure the electric choke works freely. If the engine doesn't choke, they can be hard to start.
To check for fuel, there is a nut on the bottom of the carburetor bowl. Loosen it a bit and see if fuel comes out. The bad part these days is the ethanol fuels. They will gum up a carburetor from sitting with gas in it. My recommendation is to drain the carburetor after it is been run and will not be used for more than a month.
"Ma" Bell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,409 Times in 3,930 Posts

As said, watch spark at plug. If get only one spark when press start button and again only one spark when release that button, plastic arm is likely snapped.

Test that you have ~ +9-12V power to spark coil. Then put a test light across spark coil primary and crank engine, it should blink.

Don't short +power to coil to ground, series diodes in $125 control board will blow.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 4BGEFA26100K RV Gen Help

thanks for the info guys. They are off on vacation in the RV, not using the generator, obviously, since it isn't working yet. Lucky for them they planned to stay at the RV park and plug in for air conditioning. My son will start some trouble shooting when he gets back. He was talking about the possibility of reproducing the trigger arm on one of those new fangled 3-d printers. Whatdathink ? sounds crazy to me.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:51:26 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan 4BGEFA26100K RV Generator Help

I'm sure he can reproduce that arm with a 3D printer as long as he has the skills to measure it and to draw it up in a CAD format.
Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea.
But I'd worry about the reaction of the material to the temperatures in that area.
Also, the PLA material (which is very common) seems pretty flexible. I haven't played with ABS or other (maybe) tougher materials, though.

If he does get it done, you guys may have a product to sell right here!

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 09-28-2017, 03:26:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,409 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: Onan 4BGEFA26100K RV Generator Help

Have not had mine apart but if mine broke I'ld try getting a plate of alumum same thickness as arm.
Suppose could start with a plate of some other material like fiberglass. But might want to made some areas bit wider to make sure material doesn't break.

Lay old arm on aluminum plate, trace out arm on it, and cut it up. Bands saw, jigsaw, or metal cutting blade on a carpenter's skill saw to gross shape it. Them 3 inch metal cutting blade on die grinder , or 1 inch disk on dremal. Do need to salvage the 2 old magnets and figure out which N/S orientation they go in. Lot of filing to trim it up.

Would likely be good idea to balance it, but would likely get a good enough balance by using a knife edge thru the hole and seeing which side is heavier. Drilling holes or filing off material to balance.

Last edited by len k; 09-28-2017 at 08:13:33 PM.