Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 10

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 5198 times

Old 08-01-2016, 03:23:34 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Windows 10

Odin - can the W10 interface be made to look and feel like 7 (or even XP)? My experiences with 10 (reluctant at best) - the interface absolutely drove me crazy. I so wanted to yell at the head of Microsoft "If it's not broken, DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!"

I've been told about software that would make 7 and 8 look and feel almost exactly like XP. I wonder if that's also true for 10.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 03:35:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,869 Times in 4,321 Posts

Something more to say about my last subject.
We always had an old farmer friend Piet de Jong with us in the early days of collecting.

He was an very smart technical person and was engine, tractor, lathe and clock maker.

2 years he passes away but he always told us.

"New is not always better"....

This is why we always are in the old stuff and antiques to find.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39:35 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
With 10 shutdown or sleep is very fast - takes seconds, but a reboot or start up after shutdown was taking over 5 minutes!
That was another major gripe I had with Windows. On this system, with the caveat of needing to put in a password to continue (Linux is VERY security-oriented), the boot is something like 40-50 seconds, sometimes less. Shutdown maybe 10 to 15 seconds.

I have several virtual machines installed (Virtualbox) - Windows XP with virus protection, wXP SP2 without, W98, W95, and even a virtual dos machine. The XP machine with protection take far longer than Linux to boot, the XP SP2 about the same, the W98 and 95 only seconds (if I remember about 10 seconds and about 3) - and dos is there almost instantly. That goes to show the difference in overhead and requirements, from one OS to another.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:19:49 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
Odin - can the W10 interface be made to look and feel like 7 (or even XP)? My experiences with 10 (reluctant at best) - the interface absolutely drove me crazy. I so wanted to yell at the head of Microsoft "If it's not broken, DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!"

I've been told about software that would make 7 and 8 look and feel almost exactly like XP. I wonder if that's also true for 10.
Windows 10 brings back the start menu, in a somewhat blended form that combines the click what you like tileset of Windows 8 with the classic everything you need all organized like a toolbox of Windows 7 and prior.

There are of course third party solutions to make most anything look like most anything else, but at that point you end up so deep into customization that you'd be better off using Mint or Ubuntu Linux with the relevant skinsets to have the look you want- and none of the nonsense that Microsoft pushes down the pipe.

Now my home systems are still Windows, primarily because most videogames are only available for Windows. But I rebuilt my desktop machine at work to use Linux, because most of my computer repair tools run on Linux instead of Windows. It has a lot more capability for dealing with aging stubborn hardware than Windows does, and the only drawback is that I can't run CAD natively on it. While CAD programs for Linux exist, I've yet to find one I like, and I keep a Windows 7 virtual machine to run an old version of AutoCAD that I still use.

But my workplace is dealing with proprietary customer information that is protected by nondisclosure agreements. Legally, we cannot allow Microsoft access to that information unless they take nondisclosure contracts directly with the customers that are storing protected info. Which means I cannot deploy Windows 10 on this network without disabling or removing the telemetry and ad profile nonsense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 06:39:20 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,339 Times in 1,558 Posts

I have a friend that runs nothing but Linux.. He just bought a new Dell from Staples, bought a 128 gig solid state hard drive from Best Buy and installed it and Linux. Never even turned on Windows 10. He does a lot of programming for machine tools at his work and his 3D printer.. He really likes OpenSCAD and runs it on his Linux operating systems..

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 12-15-2016, 02:59:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,225 Posts

Having troubles getting online? KB3206632 fixes previous micro$haft induced problem.
Seems old micro$haft mucked up on a previous update and turned off a lot of peoples ability to negotiate with DCHP. Patch release Tuesday supposed to fix it.
Doc