Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Kato generator

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1137 times

Old 08-01-2014, 01:23:33 PM
dewings

Default Kato generator

I have a kato generator which has been down for almost 8 months and when it was started, it would not produce any voltage, I have check the AVR which is ok as i swap it with next generator which is running OK, I have check and control insulation resistance for all winding OK, I have check resistance of exciter stator and armature OK, I have control all rectifying diode OK, i have flash the exciter field with 12vdc battery with AVR disconnected, and i had 55VAC between Lines which was good.after running for 3 minutes I shut down the generator and connect back my field leads to my AVR, then start the generator but the voltage had disappear, since the I have try flashing again but can only have 2,7VAC between lines. there are 2 leads per phase coming out of the alternator + 2 neutral leads so altogether 8 leads on main circuit breaker, i have disconnected all these wires and start testing individual set of winding but i am having continuity to all these cable even when i separate the neutral, is this normal. any help i appreciate .
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 03:19:22 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Kato generator

Hi Dewings!

Sounds like the alternator has lost it's 'residual magnetism'. Since it responded to flashing the field, that means you have a good generator, just need enough magnetism built back into the iron chassis to make it self-excite.

You can try flashing the field again, or you can 'cheat' by just placing a large (strong) magnet on the exciter, and moving it around a little bit until the generator starts to build power. Connect a light bulb to the generator output, and with engine running, move the magnet around until the light bulb starts to glow. Let the generator work for a little while...eventually the lightbulb will build up to full bright. After you've reached full bright, connect in a larger resistive load... like an electric heater... turn it on at low-power, and let the generator work... eventually move to higher power... and let it work. After the generator has pushed a strong resistive load for a half hour or so, remove the magnet, and let the generator continue to work for another half hour. After that, it should self-excite and run fine.