Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Kato Enginering Generator

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3243 times

Old 06-12-2005, 12:28:27 PM
mglk31

Default Kato Enginering Generator

I have a kato generator attached to a 2 cylinder wisconsin engine. Engine runs fine. I am trying to find out how to configure the leads to produce 2 strands of 110.
Model 45MGH4
Type 3076
15/230 volts
1800 RPM

DC exciter
Model 23XUG7
Type 1576
500 watts
4 amps
125volt

It has 4 large wires numbered 1...4 and 2 small wires I assume are the exciter wires which produce dc voltage.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 01:01:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kato Enginering Generator

I don't know the connections for your specific machine. But, as a rule, when there are 4 numbered wires and you want 120 vAC, #1 & #3 are connected together. #2 & #4 are connected together. The two paired connections (odds and evens) are the 120 vAC output.

The two smaller leads are a bit more problematic. They are, no doubt, part of the exciter circuit. But they could be connected in a few different configurations. Are they marked in any way? (Such as F1 and F2 or F+ and F-) Has anything been removed from the genset? If the wires are marked with "F(something)" there is a good chance that the set is missing its voltage regulator. If they are unmarked you might need a rheostat.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:21:51 PM
mglk31

Thank for the responce.
Right now the 1,2 are paired together and 3,4

On the small wires there are no markings at all
Old 06-12-2005, 01:29:51 PM
mglk31

I am not sure if anything was removed from the generator.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:06:50 PM
mglk31

Would anyone have a manual or a diagram for this genset or one like it?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:11:38 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

with 4 leads, there will probably be 2 circuits in the stator which can be either connected in parallel for 120 or series for 240. A test light or ohmeter can be used to figure out which are connected to which. Once you know that, the low numbers would usually be connected together and the higher numbers together to parallel them for 120V (with no 240).

Unless you have a specific need for two separate circuits, you would want to have them both feed whatever 120V loads you want to supply. Or connect it 240 and the connection between the 2 windings will become the neutral and the two ends which will give 240 between them will each give 120 to the neutral.

unless you find a diagram for that set, you need to check the circuits in the stator to find out first, before trying any connections. The small wires are possibly supply/sensing to the exciter/regulator section and would be fed with some nominal voltage like 120 or 240. That may be the trick to get the regulator to work correctly.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 06-12-2005, 04:48:48 PM
mglk31

does anyboudy know what size reostat for this application?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55:09 PM
Registered

good luck with this one there fella. I am having a similar problem and haven't taken time to mess with it lately. A guy by the name of Roger Normandin at Kato engineering was supposed to send me a scan of the original manual for mine and he is very helpful. I'm assuming he kind of forgot about me. He was going to have to scan the whole thing so it was going to take a while. He sent me a couple of other manuals just in case. I just got the number off of the web site and gave it a try. Check out my last post to get a deeper feel for my problem. Let me know how things are going. I have attached a pic of my data plate just for kicks. Good luck - keep me posted....