Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Perkins Diesel with Kato Generator

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4506 times

Old 02-03-2008, 01:15:16 PM
Don Smith

Default Perkins Diesel with Kato Generator

I have a Perkins four cylinder diesel powering a Kato 30 kw multi-configuration generator. It was the unit that was used to supply power at the Ice House Ski Lodge at Tahao. It was recently rebuilt and then they got utility power. It sat for a couple of years and I was able to get it as surplus. The question I have is about its quality and reliability. I have had it installed in my shop for the last number of years. During that time I have run it less than 50 hours and no problems except for overkill. My power demands are less than 10kw total. Would I be better installing a smaller unit and selling this. When I contacted Kato they provided me with the complete information on the generator head including a copy of the final test results on the unit. Thanks Don
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14:18 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,206 Posts
Talking Re: Perkins Diesel with Kato Generator

Nothing wrong with a "Good" Perkins Diesel engine..... If you will never need more than
10Kw, ever, in your wildest dreams, then moving to a smaller, similar unit will save you
a small amount in fuel. Just remember that with Diesel power, the fuel consumption is
fairly linear with the load applied, after the fuel used just to keep the machine turning
over.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:06:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Perkins Diesel with Kato Generator

I thought I read somewhere that with diesel sets it is better for the engine at at least 75% max power to keep it running well. Any comments?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Perkins Diesel with Kato Generator

Some diesels are more prone to problems from light loads than others.

Old Caterpillars are especially noted for wet stacking, slobbering or whatever you want to call it. I think it is particularly important to have a good thermostat in any engine and keep the operating temperature high. A lot of the problems could be related to the common thermostat CAT used that begins opening at 165 degrees and is fully open at 195. Under light loading, the engine wouldn't ever get to 195 where it needed to be. Of course a lot of those CAT engines are 50-60 years old, hardly modern technology and many have significant wear that makes the problem worse. CAT has changed their sleeve and ring designs to perhaps sacrifice some life in exchange for improved resistance to the slobbering. The sleeves are not so hard as they once were for one thing.

Still you're right, safest and usually most efficient to be at 75-80% load. Sometimes not possible to size the single backup set for the minimum and maximum load and still observe that rule of thumb.