Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Need a source for Kato generator information

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 6763 times

Old 11-05-2009, 04:15:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Need a source for Kato generator information

Does anyone have a source for older Kato generators ? Specifically for wiring diagrams. I am working on a genset that uses a Hercules G2300 series engine and a Kato end. This particular unit was assembled by United States Motors Corp. with no further info available. Unfortunately as United States Motors would remove the oem tag and replace it with just a simple lead connection diagram I can't determine any Kato model or specs. Kato doesn't even want to discuss the unit without a model, I have the original serial number which they stamped on one of the stator support bars but Kato won't even discuss it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 11:09:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,532 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Need a source for Kato generator information

What do you need to know, specifically? If you can re-connect the output leads? How many leads do you have? They should have the T1, T2, etc...markings on them. You said simple connection diagram--does that mean you have the re-connection diagram, and are looking for a general wiring/controls diagram/schematic?

What control do you have? Could you post a photo of it? Perhaps someone will come along and have exactly what you need. But, since I don't, just asking enough questions to see if we can try and help you.

If you're having control issues, may be money/time ahead to upgrade to a third party controller, like an ECU-99 or similar. Straight-foward installation, and provides basic engine protection features.

eric
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56:09 PM
Registered-II

Specifically I need wiring diagrams for the voltage regulator circuit. It is a mag amp style regulator and needs some tlc. Unfortunately the folks that own this don't have the funds to convert to a modern regulator so I am helping them out as much as I can without spending a lot of time. I believe that the real problem is probably just old pots but I don't want to start turning and adjusting without some info. The pots are unmarked and I could probably unsolder them and get an idea of the value, but I am hesitant to do anything on a unit that could become unserviceable and become a real thorn that started out as a friendly gesture.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:46:46 PM

Thanked 16,825 Times in 7,779 Posts

Don't have any prints. But from the Katolight sales manual I have. The only two units powered by the G2300. 23F(*)H4. (*) insert letter G for 115/230 1 Phase P for 120/208 3 Phase and R for 277/480. Also Model 35(*)H4. If you have a fax number I can fax you the sheets.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58:18 PM
Registered-III

Did you sort through the info here:

http://www.kato-eng.com/prodman.html
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27:31 PM
Registered-II

Billy, I pm'd you. Opposed, yes I have been through them but they mostly are from the last 20 years or so.