Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > YouTube Old Iron Videos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

YouTube Old Iron Videos A place to show your ON topic movies of antique engines and old iron.

YouTube Old Iron Videos

Wooden Wheel Making

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1101 times

Old 01-03-2017, 06:33:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default Wooden Wheel Making

Probably old hat to you guys and gals, but maybe not. Makes it look easy.
Doc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSMs-b0Jzg
Old 01-04-2017, 06:53:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,888 Times in 3,333 Posts
Default Re: Wooden Wheel Making

Nice Mixture of Old/Modern tools used together there.

Very Time Consuming Job.

We're very much in need of new wheels for the 12 horse sweep power unit for the old Case threshing machine owned by the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club. . . . Found out about a shop in Beloit Wisconsin that does them but haven't checked on pricing yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15:34 AM
Registered-II

My congratulations to the makers of that video. They got it just so right!
A rock steady camera, well lit subjects from great angles, and so self explanatory that no words needed to be spoken. Can't do better than that. Let's hope we all learn something before rushing into video production.
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24:54 PM
Registered-II

Combustor is right, that is a very well produced video. But it is also quite misleading. As Thaumaturge says, he makes it look easy, and I can assure you that it's anything but. There's one heck of a lot of craftsmanship and expertise going on there. Getting those metal rings to fit so closely, using only that little wheel as a measuring tool, WOW.

This video is especially interesting to me because for some time now I have been thinking about making some wooden wheels. Don't ask me why. Knowing absolutely nothing about the subject I envisioned some methods for making a wheel, that might overcome some of the challenges I thought of. Turns out there's a whole lot more to it than I had imagined, although the actual construction is quite a bit simpler and more straightforward than I was envisioning. And nothing is said about the variety of wood used, or its moisture content.I imagine they are using something like ash, and very dry so that things tighten up as the wood expands with humidity. .

Sooner or later I am going to give this a try, but I suspect I will be producing quite a bit of firewood before I get the hang of it.

Thanks for posting!
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56:28 PM
Registered-II

Why are wagon wheels dished??????????? check this out. //books.google.com/books?id=M6MCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA289&dq=why+are+the+spok es+of+a+wagon+wheel+perpendicular+to+the+axle&hl=e n&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2ufTgzLvRAhWK54MKHVSfDfAQ6AEIKD AC#v=onepage&q=why are the spokes of a wagon wheel perpendicular to the axle&f=false

---------- Post added at 08:56:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55:23 PM ----------

Had hoped the link would work You can google the question. sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake Jacobs For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41:05 AM
Registered-II

A true craftsman can make a task look easy, but there is a lifetime of learned skills behind them. I have no problem with the use of 20th century tools to acheive the result, as long as it produces the 19th century product to the 19th century design. Am sure these makers provide valuable service to those who still run these heritage vehicles for our pleasure. Regards,
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 03:54:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,134 Posts

I think one of the big secrets revealed was angle of the mortise joints, every other spoke from opposite side of hub. Making V with spokes to rim. Makes wheel much stronger to any side stress.
Doc
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41:45 PM
Registered-II

That angled spoke aspect is one thing I neglected to consider and yes I am sure it does add a LOT of strength to the wheel. Although, I'm not sure all wooden wheels are made that way, I know that old wooden car wheels, which of course do not have such a hub. have a flat profile. Or at least the ones I can recall seeing do.

I wonder why the spokes are rectangular at their base instead of round. It would be a lot easier to drill a bunch of holes and make round tenons with the doweling cutter, as he does on the outer ends, or turn the round tenon onto the inner end while in the lathe.

I can offer one modest improvement to the maker, though. Notice that when he cuts the mortises the holes in the center of the hub, where the chisel comes through, are jagged and splintered. The easy way to fix this is to leave the through hole much smaller then bore to final size after the mortises are all cut. An alternative would be to make a waste plug to fit in the center, then knock it out when the mortising is complete. This is a nit pick not a criticism.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37:55 AM
Registered-II

I believe the tenons on the end of the spokes are tapered as is the hub.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03:18 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,118 Times in 3,316 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Wooden Wheel Making

The Amish still make wooden wheels in the Lancaster area. There is a historic farm in Morristown NJ that just had a hay wagon re-furbished after 150 years of use. All new wheels and axles as well as the tree and some hardware. Looks like it was just built! They sure do nice work!