Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 114160 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,997 Times in 368 Posts
Default Boiler Fabrication

I started this thread to document the progress of the boiler I am building for my 26 Advance Straw Burner. I bought this engine in January of 2005 from Norm Stevens of Bellevue, Michigan. I new before I bought the engine that boiler was in need of some major repair. The outside wrapper, under the axle castings, were thin and the firebox sheets were thin around each of the stay bolts. One option would be to replace the firebox and the plate under the axle castings but since I work for a steel fabrication shop that has an ASME U stamp I decided to buy the steel to do the entire boiler. I would be able to use the shops machinery to cut the plates, drill the holes for the rivets and stay bolts and form the parts. I want to build a boiler that is as much like the original within reason so I am going to use riveted construction with the exception of the longitudinal seam of the barrel and the steam dome. The firebox will also be of welded construction. A boiler fabricator in Ohio will be doing the welding, riveting and stay bolt installation so that the boiler can receive an S stamp.

Now, on to the pictures. This first set is of the engine as it looked after it arrived at my house in Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 01.jpg
Views:	2544
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	4754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 02.jpg
Views:	3738
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	4755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 03.jpg
Views:	3780