Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Cletrac F Crawler Project

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2921 times

Old 10-11-2013, 10:11:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Cletrac F Crawler Project

The Branch 15 club in Salem, OR has a well-loved Cletrac F that I adopted for the winter to put it back in running condition. I will post some pictures later.

The track rollers ride on links and the rollers seem to have about 1/8" play in them (maybe a bit more) and I was told that this specific machine likes to throw a track when turning, but I don't know which one. I'm curious if the undercarriage is just worn out and that's what the issue is. One of the tracks is currently very loose and needs to be tensioned, so it could be as simple as that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttyR2 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 12:38:40 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,111 Times in 164 Posts
Default Re: Cletrac F Crawler Project

It's as simple as that the play in the rollers is normal.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28:27 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,200 Times in 939 Posts

For all things Cletrac--advice, parts, sympathy, as circumstances require--Landis Zimmerman at olivercletrac.org/com/net (one of those!)...Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 10-13-2013, 05:25:59 PM
Registered-III

A little update. Checked all the plug wires with a DVM and all of them were over 6k ohm resistance even though they are solid core. The wires were also more than a foot longer than necessary, so I cut them down to good wire and soldered the brass ends back on. They measure 2~5 ohms now. Good enough to start the engine until I buy new wires.

The inside of the magneto looked pretty good other than white corrosion on the points. Cleaned them up with fine sandpaper and started getting good spark.

It coughed a few times on ether. I figured the carb was totally gunked up but hooked up a temporary gas tank anyway. No dice. Pulled the carb down and the bottom was full of dried "honey", sticky stuff. Disassembled and in to the carb cleaner tank for a few days. Hopefully the floats are still intact.

I'm looking for a couple good high quality pictures of the top of the engine, specifically the governor setup and throttle rods. From the looks of it, someone bodged this setup together and cut/welded the governor linkage.

I'm also looking for a good PDF copy of the owners/service manual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttyR2 For This Post:
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,858 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
A little update. Checked all the plug wires with a DVM and all of them were over 6k ohm resistance even though they are solid core. The wires were also more than a foot longer than necessary, so I cut them down to good wire and soldered the brass ends back on. They measure 2~5 ohms now. Good enough to start the engine until I buy new wires.

The inside of the magneto looked pretty good other than white corrosion on the points. Cleaned them up with fine sandpaper and started getting good spark.

It coughed a few times on ether. I figured the carb was totally gunked up but hooked up a temporary gas tank anyway. No dice. Pulled the carb down and the bottom was full of dried "honey", sticky stuff. Disassembled and in to the carb cleaner tank for a few days. Hopefully the floats are still intact.

I'm looking for a couple good high quality pictures of the top of the engine, specifically the governor setup and throttle rods. From the looks of it, someone bodged this setup together and cut/welded the governor linkage.

I'm also looking for a good PDF copy of the owners/service manual.
Give me a couple days a can copy a manual and post some pics There's 3 F's here. A narrow gauge and a couple standard gauges.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54:42 PM
Registered-III

Had a little success after cleaning the carb out. I was able to get it to fire for a moment but then die. After a lot of cranking, it finally lit off and ran well. I ran it for a minute then shut it off because it didn't have any water in it. It flooded easily when I tried to start it again.

According to what little info I can find, the engine should have come with a Tillotson CD1A carburetor and Eisemann GS4 magneto. It actually has a Tillotson DY9B carb and Wico Model X spec XH-184 magneto. I would like to track down a good used CD1A carb if any of you happen to have one.

I'm still looking for some good clear pictures of the top of the engine, specifically showing routing of the governor linkage.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:36:15 PM
Registered-III

We are going to be doing one this winter. Looking forward to seeing your progress I would also be interested in some information on this model. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,567 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post

Don't worry about 5 ohms resistance in the wires. Some of that may be your meter leads. You have 10,000 to 20,000 volts and maybe .01 ampere maximum which would only drop one volt if you had 100 ohms wire resistance. If there is corrosion causing the resistance, then that could cause future problems. The insulation on those old high tension wires would be the major concern. Sparks will jump right through poor or cracked insulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 07:28:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,858 Times in 836 Posts

heres a scan of the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	177531   Click image for larger version