Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Trying to I.D. 4 Deck Mississippi Passenger Steamboat with Lifeboats - 1930 Photos

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 604 times

Old 12-08-2017, 08:37:27 PM
Registered

Default Trying to I.D. 4 Deck Mississippi Passenger Steamboat with Lifeboats - 1930 Photos

These two snapshots have text on the back indicating they were processed by a photo shop in Cherokee, Iowa. Hand writing indicates that they are from a boat trip on the Mississippi on August 17, 1930. I am not sure if the ship was boarded in Iowa as the couple could have traveled out of state.

I can't see a name and haven't found any matching references online yet. The ship appears to be very large with people on four railed decks. There are four lifeboats visible on top alongside the top railing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tabbyapple For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2017, 09:19:46 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Trying to I.D. 4 Deck Mississippi Passenger Steamboat with Lifeboats - 1930 Photo

Greetings, By the 30s very few Stern Wheelers were left operating. Delta Queen out of St Louis?? Enuf Said.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04:16 AM
Registered

Default Re: Trying to I.D. 4 Deck Mississippi Passenger Steamboat with Lifeboats - 1930 Photo

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think its the Delta Queen or its sister ship the Delta King based on pictures alone; however, Wikipedia indicates both ships were still in California in 1940.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05:12 AM
Registered

Appears to be the Capitol (1879-1945) which was renamed four times and sunk in 1901, but rebuilt:

Pittsburgh > The Capitol > Dubuque > Capitol

http://steamboats.com/museum/davet-photos4.html

http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/i...UE_(steamboats)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tabbyapple For This Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57:28 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,727 Posts

Reading through that article, the name Streakfus comes up as the company that owned many steam excursion boats on the Mississippi. They were big at one time but now no longer exist as far as I know. One of their last and most important boats around here was the Admiral. We recently lost it due to typical corporate blundering. It sat unused for a few years after it was made into a restaurant, then was scrapped a few years ago.