Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

REEVES Left Water Tank Steps

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3782 times

Old 01-12-2006, 12:14:05 PM
Registered-III

Default REEVES Left Water Tank Steps

Reeves Dudes,

Just wondering if I could talk someone who owns a Reeves engine, into puting on his coat and runing out to the shed and measure the steps on their engine?

Our 20hp DS has some steps that were "agriculturally engineered" (angle iron and welding blobs for cleats) and I would like to build some that at least LOOK correct. I know they were cast originally, but I have a plan. :-)

I am looking for dimensions between the steps from top to bottom and then also the size of each step itself. Maybe also what the steps attach to?? (from pictures it might be strap iron, etc.??)

Anybody help a brother out?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2006, 04:38:11 PM
Email NOT Working - Over Quota

Default Re: REEVES Left Water Tank Steps

Mike:

Our 25cc had two smaller steps on the side of the tank, with one large step on top, kind of as a platform. It indeed uses a heavy strap iron to bolt to. The Reeves is at the show grounds, but I have one of the smaller steps here. I took off the middle small step, and relocated the large top one to the middle of the tank, where the smaller one was. That gave me room to work from that platform on the engine. On top, one has to duck pretty low to work under the canopy. If you need to get higher, stand on the tank top.

It is indeed cast, part # 4080.It is L shaped, with the short leg bolted to the strap iron with one bolt. It has a channel on the back to fit around the strap iron. The width of the channel is 1 5/8", so the strap would be 1 1/2"? From the top to the bottom of the leg it is 3". The top is 6" long from the strap, and 2 1/4" wide, with a raised diamond top, like checkering on a gunstock. If you want to get one or two cast, I would loan you this one.

The larger step, I believe, had a longer leg for the strap, with two holes vertically. The top has the same checkered top. It is probably 10" long and 6-8" wide???? Wish I had it here. You could borrow that one too if you needed it for casting.

The strap is pretty heavy. It is only flat iron, bolts onto the cast top and bottom of the left water tank. Both ends bent at 90 degrees, and then spaced out 1 inch or so from the tank.

Best of luck. Hope the other pieces I sent will be useful. Send pics to my email.

Melvin
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53:39 AM
Registered-III

Melvin,

Hey thanks for the info and I will get back with you if I need anything else. Yes, what you sent me is going to work great, I'm just not that far yet. I figured I would get all my top work done before I put a canopy back on the engine, since it would just be in the way and might get dammaged.

Thanks again for all your help! I'll send you some pics later on what I do have done so far.

Mike
Old 01-23-2006, 04:03:36 PM
Registered-II

Mike:
If the previous reply doesn't help you enough, I would be glad to meet you in Choteau so you could measure the steps on our Reeves and you could
take pictures too. I have to go up there next Sunday for the club's annual business meeting and election of officers.

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 04:51:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,178 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Railsback
Mike:
If the previous reply doesn't help you enough, I would be glad to meet you in Choteau so you could measure the steps on our Reeves and you could
take pictures too. I have to go up there next Sunday for the club's annual business meeting and election of officers.

Tom
Tom,
Talk about "Ring Around the Rosey"... Melvin above is a former owner of that engine.
Gary
Old 01-29-2006, 05:51:57 PM
Registered-III

Hey Tom,

I'm on duty this weekend, but would like to get in to see that engine and take pictures some time. Could you maybe go off line and send me your number (I know I had it at one point, but don't know where to look now).

No big hurry, but would like to see it and of course come to your show this year!?!?!?!

Thanks!

Mike Michael.Yaeger@us.army.mil