Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Starting Multiple Threads

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 14431 times

Old 03-02-2013, 11:33:59 AM
Registered-III

Default Starting Multiple Threads

Hey guys and gals,

Please Do NOT start multiple threads on a single Onan genset. The continuity of issues and fixes gets lost with multiple threads. When someone trying to help can see the past and current issues and the advice already given it makes finding your solution much easier. And as always, please include the COMPLETE Model Number, Serial Number, (and a picture of the genset if possible). Seeing the unit can help with questions such as control board/no control board, Magniciter vs YD genend, etc. The Model Number includes a "Spec" Letter that tells exactly what particular configuration you have for finding parts and manuals. If you look at my signature you will see for example two complete Model Numbers:

15.0 JC-3CR/1S, the "S" is the Spec Letter for that genset. The "P" is the Spec Letter for the 6.5 NH genset above it.

Thank You.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Ward For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,115 Posts
Default Re: Starting multiple threads

I don't know...

Let's say I start a thread about a carb issue with my JB, and entitle it "JB Carb Troubles". After a few dozen posts and a week or so, it gets resolved.

Are you saying that 2 weeks later, when I discover a voltage regulator issue, I should post that back in the same old thread?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40:50 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
I don't know...

Let's say I start a thread about a carb issue with my JB, and entitle it "JB Carb Troubles". After a few dozen posts and a week or so, it gets resolved.

Are you saying that 2 weeks later, when I discover a voltage regulator issue, I should post that back in the same old thread?
Even though the issues might seem unrelated both are issues with a "JB" that can be common to most "JB" gensets. People searching for "JB" will then be able to see each gensets issues and if they show to be year range specific, I just feel it will help keep threads to a minimum. Also even though I might not be having carb issues at this moment, down the road I could experience the exact same things you did and reading your "JB's" journey could save me many hours troubleshooting. JMHO
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51:19 PM
Kpack

I believe both of you are right although if he stayed with the same thread but a different problem than the title it would be over looked because of the title we will have to come up with something John
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,115 Posts

IMHO, the number of threads, and to some degree even the thread title are irrelevant. When I want to find something, I don't read through pages and pages of threads - I just do a Google search on this site using a few appropriate keywords.

For example, let's say I recall John Ward posting something about a natural gas JB...

I'd put this into a Google search:

john ward natural gas JB site:smokstak.com

And up pops up all the relevant posts...

Just saying there's different ways to skin the cat...
Old 03-02-2013, 01:16:09 PM
Registered-III

Yes sir there is. And depending on one's search ability different results can be obtained. It is not my decision, but just a suggestion. It is up to the staff and members how it is best to proceed.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43:57 PM
Kpack

If it will pickup any words out of the thread we need to stay with one thread on a generator .
Old 03-02-2013, 02:39:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,778 Posts

I can see both sides & both points are valid.

I agree that there have been many instances where there have been as many as 20 different threads on the same unit, and it gets very confusing trying to follow from one to the other. My solution is to just quit reading threads by that poster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12:18 PM

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,168 Posts
Talking Re: Starting multiple threads

As the Moderator of this forum, and Asst. Chief Moderator on this site, the Policy on this issue IS:

Please try to keep to a SINGLE Thread, on ANY one Unit. It is not necessary to put the ISSUE in the Title, but it is Helpful to put the Model Number in the Title. This allows folks to identify which Unit the thread is discussing, without limiting the Thread to any single ISSUE, and allows Multiple Issues to be discussed, within a single Thread, on that unit, or a similar Unit.

I spend a couple of hours, each morning, reviewing Posts here on SmokStak, moving Threads, editing Posts, and general Housekeeping of the Database. Your attention to the Policy, is much appreciated.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:02:49 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTPost View Post
As the Moderator of this forum, and Asst. Chief Moderator on this site, the Policy on this issue IS:

Please try to keep to a SINGLE Thread, on ANY one Unit. It is not necessary to put the ISSUE in the Title, but it is Helpful to put the Model Number in the Title. This allows folks to identify which Unit the thread is discussing, without limiting the Thread to any single ISSUE, and allows Multiple Issues to be discussed, within a single Thread, on that unit, or a similar Unit.

I spend a couple of hours, each morning, reviewing Posts here on SmokStak, moving Threads, editing Posts, and general Housekeeping of the Database. Your attention to the Policy, is much appreciated.
Thanks for the instructions but I am unclear on an issue:
Say that I am working on a unit and state the unit in the subject and then, in the body of the post, I state the reason that I am posting, such as help for an injection pump and get that help and all is well. Then, in continuing to work on the unit, I find other problems that I need help with on that same unit. What do I do?

I love this board and thanks for all of the time that you and others put into it.

Ros
Old 07-18-2014, 06:35:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,292 Posts

Your could just keep the thread going on the same unit post model and serial numbers on unit and as time evolves more problems with unit just post again on the same thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30:12 PM
Registered-I

I think the moderator means combining posts that were posted in quick succesion or correcting of posts (eg typos from auto correct) that are requested. I see a lot of poste where someone may type something then realize their error after posting and ask a moderator to change it in the next post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Eagle For This Post:
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25:41 PM

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,168 Posts
Talking Re: Starting multiple threads

"Editing Posts" means that I spend my time Merging multiple Posts, in succession, from a single User, into a Single Post, and merging Picture Posts, which the forum software doesn't allow Users, to do. I NEVER edit content, UNLESS it is for Policy Violations, and then ONLY in consultation With Harry. I do NOT clean up Spelling and Phraseology, unless requested by the author of the Post. If you can't Spell, or Write, clearly, that is your issue, not a Moderator issue. Moving Posts and Threads into their proper Forums, and General Site DataBase Maintenance. Only Subscribers, have Editing Privileges on this site, and then only for Posts they generate. Mods, can Move, Edit, or Delete, Posts for the forums they Moderate, and Admins, & Chief Mods, can deal with ALL Site content, as per Policy on the Site.
It is simple as that..... Bruce in Alaska BTPost
Old 10-25-2014, 08:59:51 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,778 Posts

Bruce:

Thank you for Keeping this "Notice" towards the top.

Though some seem to think it does not apply to them, it may help keep the clutter down around The Stak and make it easier to follow progress & problems with the same set.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:39:21 AM
Registered

My apologies for doing exactly that. I'm new at this, and I blew it on this one. Won't happen again. I'm pretty much a computer/smartphone zero. But I am persistent. Thanks for heads up. a.f.g.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ash fork genetator For This Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 11:24:29 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Starting Multiple Threads

I have posted several different NEW issues separately for the same gen-set
one can not edit the original post/title to point to a later problem.
[after the first day]
that would eliminate the new question being found except by
those willing to scroll a long way on an old post,
nor would it title something of a more general nature: ethanol gas, load transfer, etc.

just my 2 cents
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,090 Times in 755 Posts
Default Re: Starting Multiple Threads

Hmmmm, Interesting. I do try to start a thread per project, without any particular problem mentioned in the title.

Where I have deviated is when I come upon a particular problem that might be common to many different people's projects, and I want to ask a larger audience.

For example, I've been working on a little single cylinder 600 watt military generator, and have a thread dedicated to that project. Along the way, I just could not get the armature off of the crankshaft to continue with the project. After trying to search the archives and not finding the answer (admittedly my search skills are probably not the best) I started a more general thread about removing armatures.

I got a lot of good answers, and probably a lot more people looked at that thread that would not have otherwise been interested in the little air cooled generator set itself.

I haven't done this very often, but it has been a couple of times at least. If this practice is in violation of the policies, then I will not do it in the future.

Thanks for all that you guys do!

Keith