Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Propane line for Onan 30KW

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 860 times

Old 03-16-2017, 11:59:23 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Propane line for Onan 30KW

Another question,

This SK is mounted in a 25' box trailer, the propane Co, said I need to run piping (black pipe) from the SK to the outside of the trailer off to the side of it because, they will not attach a regulator to it under the trailer for safety.
I was going to solid mount 3/4" pipe to the bottom of the trailer with enough sticking out for their regulator however, coming up from the floor of the trailer to the attaching point of the inlet to the generator which is approx. 3' to 4' high, should I have some kind of flex propane piping in there? If so, where would I get something like that in 3/4"? My propane Co. doesn't sell something like that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 12:11:13 AM
Email NOT Working

I can't find a link to one, but in the propane business and some Onans and Kohlers also came with it, was a stainless steel bellows type connector with a union on one end and a braided stainless outer covering. It is rated for full tank liquid pressure and commonly used on large storage tanks but available all the way down to 1/2". Usually 18" long. Propane supplier should be able to get them though usually non-stock. It seems the most foolproof because it is totally metallic and also pretty flexible. Not much more expensive than other options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14:56 AM
Subscriber

Darts
Couldn't you just run everything in black iron right up to the demand regulator and then install flex connector from regulator outlet to set's mixer inlet?
Ray

You can try them for the flex connector.

https://carbturbo.com

Last edited by Ray Lynch; 03-17-2017 at 01:24:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Lynch For This Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28:35 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,814 Posts

There are a number of different types of flexible connectors available in a wide price range.

A commercial appliance connector would be great, but they are a little pricey. They come in a variety of lengths & sizes but are in the $100 and up price range.

I have been using CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) for the connection between hard pipe & the generator. This can be bought by the ft. and fittings to match. Read and follow the grounding / bonding instructions for the piping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27:45 AM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
I have been using CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) for the connection between hard pipe & the generator. This can be bought by the ft. and fittings to match. Read and follow the grounding / bonding instructions for the piping.
Right, I forgot about that. Katolight had been doing that near the end of their existence to take up vibration between an engine and the hard pipe and if I had seen it done by anybody else I would have called it hillbilly but some engineer must have signed off on it so I guess if it is good enough for them, good enough for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:31:41 PM
Sponsor

The J series units came with a piece of rubber hose aprox. 2' long to connect the demand reg. to the carb. I have mine hard piped to the demand reg. and anchored to the skids or frames, then the rubber hose from the demand reg. to the carb.

I would not hesitate to use a piece of 3/4" or 1'" ID hydraulic hose between the valve on the hard pipe and the regulator in the SK. Yes, I know hydraulic hose is not necessarily "fuel gas rated", but-----.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:52:28 PM
Sponsor

Max, I was in the hardware store today and they have this hose called Brass Craft, it's gaseous/propane rated for hooking up household appliances. They have it in 3/4" ID so that should be big enough for the SK I believe.

Thank You ALL for the suggestions and links!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:07:27 AM
Email NOT Working

I'm not sure that is really rated for the constant vibration, but I have seen it used many times and the only time it leaked was when it rubbed through on something else (like the positive battery cable one time, no kaboom though)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:21:48 AM
Sponsor

I looked up the corrogated Stainless Steel flex Max posted, Home Depot has it but, it looks like they sell it in something like a 100' roll. I only really need 2' to 3' of it. It sure looks like nice stuff though. I will have to check further and see if I can buy just a small amount.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:46:44 AM
Sponsor

Check with a local plumbing shop. They may sell you a sort piece and the fittings.