Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 3178 replies and has been viewed 223372 times

Old 01-20-2013, 06:07:27 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

I've been working on a sound proof enclosure for my 6.0djb for my truck today. I posted in another thread the other day. So far so good. I used metal studs lined with acoustic ceiling tiles. I put a few baffles in the corners and sides to help muffle the sound. I have not started it up yet. Maybe in the am. I still have to hook up the big foookin battery and the fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21:53 PM
Subscriber

Run my 10L, gave it a hug, said goodby and put it up for sale.
Hard times caught up with me and I realized I can't eat my engines.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44:26 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,487 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj811 View Post
Hoisted my 5cck off the furniture dolly and onto a "800 lb" rated tractor supply garden wagon. Changed the 20 plus year old oil from previous owner and put in Castrol synthetic for a nice oil bath. Dragged the cart and genny to my back yard and natural gas supply. The piece of Chinese junk "800 lb" wagon collapsed with my 35o lb? Cck? Almost fell off the cart. Go Patriots! !
I watched a neighbor use one of those T/S carts to haul bags of woodstove pellets. He had to move them about 20 yards across his yard to store them in his shed. After the third trip with 6 bags on it the frame started to buckle and twist. Thats only 300 lbs on the 800 lb rated cart.
he cut back to 4 bags and by the time he had moved a ton the cart was junk. 2 days old and scrap. I told him to take it back and see if they would return his $$$. We'll see if they stand behind it.

Go PATS !

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

OH yeah : I forgot. I had to go into town , so I bought my 44H some new oil , a piece of 1/4" new fuel line and a shut off valve and a new fuel filter. a couple more cans of brake clean to continue with the cleanup and degreasing.

Put the replacement wheels on the cart and working on rebuilding the front of the frame to mount a swivel wheel on it.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:13:07 PM
Registered-III

Fired up the 6.0 CCKB for 10 minutes, load ran it for another 15 minutes at 40% capacity, let cool down another 10 before before shutting fuel off and letting it starve out. Sat and stared at my 4.0 CCK while the CCKB was running wanting to do some work on it, but have to wait for payday to get a few more toys to play with
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,256 Posts

Pulled plugs, put some oil in each cyl. rolled it over by hand, reinstalled plugs.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02:59 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,143 Posts

Finally got the diagphram for my 305 CCK fuel pump. Its going to get real cold here so I decided to replace it today before the real cold comes. The new one is not built the same as the old one the rod that runs through it has to connect in a key hole slot and turn 90 degrees to connect to the actuating arm only the center rod turns and shouldnt. I spent a bunch of time trying to get the thing engaged and make sure it wouldnt disingage. (Hard to explain unless youve done one before.) Changed the oil again and re-installed the governor spring. Let it run with load about 45 minutes. Ill have to wait and see if it solved the problem with gas in the oil.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:15:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,297 Posts
Wink Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Fired up the 10.0 CCKB beast today. hooked up 6 feet of flex tubing and run it under the garage door, and oh boy i still can,t hear and i had on hearing protection . any how put a nice 1500 watt load on it for a while. warmed the engine up good and took load off and ran it a little while and then shut er down. called it a day.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55:54 PM
Kpack

I was pulling that locked up 4ky apart its bugging me I want to look inside I'm a virgin its my first one to pull apart maybe I will learn a little. My wife and daughter are in Hitchcock which is buy Galveston at a rodeo they ran the 7000 marquis all night and at noon my daughter shut it down checked the oil was good got it running again thanks for all the help with that one stak members.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,054 Times in 2,791 Posts

Yesterday I pulled the sheet metal & flywheel off the JC & gave it a good bath with degreaser & the pressure washer. Did not get back at it till about 2:00 today, pulled the valve covers & rechecked the rocker arm clearance. Replaced both ball joints on the throttle linkage. Pulled the plate out of the distributor, checked & oiled the springs & weights, replaced the insulating washers & bushing on the points stud. Re-gaped the plugs to .018. Re-torque the exhaust bolts. Buffed & waxed the sheet metal, then reinstalled the flywheel & sheet metal.

It is out in the shop pulling about 42 amps per. leg as I type. I rewired it to 120/240 single phase last week. I still need to fine tune the governor sensitivity. I may swap out the AVR & send this one to Flight Systems, it was a little flakey when I first started it up.

I am beginning to rethink my ideas on the value of these old Onans. Many of us enjoy buying “fixer uppers”, then bringing them back up into dependable condition. When I see a nice JC 15.0 3C on flea bay for $2,500 I think it is way over priced. But using the one I am working on now as an example. I gave $700 & a 130 mile 3 hour trip in a 7.5 mpg truck with the Bob Cat in tow, by the time I am done with it, allowing a nominal wage for labor & the cost of parts, $2,500 would be cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,935 Times in 6,092 Posts

Almost nothing made today. Can compare to the older units.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,780 Times in 3,483 Posts

Just looked out the window at my Emerald (under tarp) outside in the cold, been no higher than 10 for last ~ 5 days and several nights with no temperature.... 0 degs.
Waved to it, said stay in there buddy it's too cold for me out there.
Went to watch TV and have a beer.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12:47 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
I am beginning to rethink my ideas on the value of these old Onans. Many of us enjoy buying “fixer uppers”, then bringing them back up into dependable condition. When I see a nice JC 15.0 3C on flea bay for $2,500 I think it is way over priced. But using the one I am working on now as an example. I gave $700 & a 130 mile 3 hour trip in a 7.5 mpg truck with the Bob Cat in tow, by the time I am done with it, allowing a nominal wage for labor & the cost of parts, $2,500 would be cheap.
I agree that these old guys are worth more than most of us have paid or sold them for. The alternative is to buy some cheap 3600 rpm screamer and hope it last five years. Thinking about owning a genset that can make fifty years still impresses me. As you stated, by the time we sell one; the parts, love, and labor that are put into it is worth a lot.

The young man I sold my 4.0 CCK-3CR (1975 model) to never even asked me to come down one penny. I gave him all the manuals on CD, showed him how to fully operate it, and showed it running under load. I showed him where the brushes are and how to check the brushes and clean the slip rings. Which I had already done. We talked about adjusting the valves, which I had not got around to and told him to call me with any questions. I felt it was going to a good home and would be taken care of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Ward For This Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,780 Times in 3,483 Posts

I don't mind working on something that I know won't spit out some other part in a week.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47:30 PM
Registered-I

Hi guys; i'm looking to sell some onan parts. Email me with part no.
And i'll will see what i have in stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Abbott For This Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52:56 PM
In Memory Of

Do you have a list?
what vintage of parts, 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's.
What type of gensets ? small medium , large?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Sparks For This Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42:19 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
I have couple that have way to much in but I know what is in them and they will last another 50-60 years and the fun is building them !
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,297 Posts
Smile Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Max is thinking like i have been lately buy an onan for a cheaper price then you got to start putting money in them for this and that,lol i enjoy the hunting, looking and searching for the love of my heart an Onan i am talking about.lol i found her she is a prestine well maintained and really a nice kept in door all of her days. its a 15JC 3CR -1980 year and the guy has it said it was calling out my name the other day. so i asked him give me a price so if its not to far out of the ball park i may just have to break open my piggy bank and give that Onan a home.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31:52 PM
In Memory Of

Purchase price is part of the equation, as is condition and the probability that it will still be running decades from now.

Purchase a modern day screamer and you will be lucky to get 5-10 years life expectancy out of them.
Our old green machines were designed to last almost forever and keep on running with proper maintenance and love.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
But it's still fun to fix them up. That's the part of the hobby I really enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ward View Post
The young man I sold my 4.0 CCK-3CR (1975 model) to never even asked me to come down one penny. I gave him all the manuals on CD, showed him how to fully operate it, and showed it running under load. I showed him where the brushes are and how to check the brushes and clean the slip rings. Which I had already done. We talked about adjusting the valves, which I had not got around to and told him to call me with any questions. I felt it was going to a good home and would be taken care of.
If I needed a good reliable generator, I would not hesitate for a second to give either of you gentlemen (or most of the members of this board) the asking price. I know you would have gone through it, cleaned it, given it new plugs, points, filters, oil change, and any other maintenance it needed. In other words, I would be buying a turn key generator that would give me years of reliable service. Now... How often do you see that in the real world? Or on eBay? Most sellers show you a cold lump of metal sitting on the ground or garage floor and tell you "It worked the last time it was used". Most of the eBay people just want to flip it for a quick buck.

If you buy a used car, you want to test drive it...
If you buy a used TV, you want to see a picture...
If you buy a used lawn mower, you want to see it cut grass...

Why is it that so many people selling used generators seem to think I will happily fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars without even seeing it run, much less generate?

I make a point of showing up and asking to see it run. When it doesn't, I offer a low price, like say $100 for a RV pull, maybe a bit more if it looks nice. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, but I always ask the seller why he thinks I should pay top dollar when he can't even be bothered to demonstrate it.

Of all the Onan's I have, only ONCE has a previous owner had it set up and running. The gentleman got his asking price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 12:57:17 PM
In Memory Of

Kevin: You & i have the same philosophy on buying. If it runs and generates then we can talk reasonable $$. If not it's worth a little$ for me to take a risk that it might be a usable generator that can be made to run & generate with a little love and parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Sparks For This Post: