Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Fuel starvation problem?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 2324 times

Old 10-21-2014, 06:28:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,688 Times in 3,427 Posts
Default Re: Fuel starvation problem?

I tried to sell it to the actual guy who supplies the tank exchange retail outlets, no go, he has all he wants.

But I've got about 2 dozen ones with the new valves. I fill them up and let them sit so I don't run out grilling on a sunday. Been using sitting for years, some have expired, tanks are in perfect shape. I had a refill place re certify one tank , the KID just did a 5 sec visual check of tank for rust and dents then re stamped the date for $5, all the while smoking a cigarette. Now where did I put my steel numbering chisels ......,

Last edited by len k; 10-21-2014 at 06:43:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,741 Posts

Locally the exchange places will accept a tank with an old valve as an exchange tank. Their game is to exchange an empty tank for a partially filled 20Lb tank, typically you get 17Lbs of propane for about $23. But people like it because it's convenient.

It's interesting that one exchange group got in trouble with the NYS Attorney General's Office for not divulging that they only filled the tanks to 17Lbs, but advertised them as full. So another group put up signs stating "Get the Full 18". Neat idea. Follow the rules by divulging the contents of the tank, while at the same time leading people to believe the tank is "full".

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
I had a refill place re certify one tank , the KID just did a 5 sec visual check of tank for rust and dents and restamped the date for $5. Where did I put my steel numbering chisles ......,
Locally they just use a paper (mylar) sticker with the RIN number, a large letter "E" (visual inspection) and places to punch the month and date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 06:50:09 PM
Registered-III

All my tanks are stamped , no sticker.

I did notice all re-stamped ones have the "E" and the new date. Wondered what E meant.

Here a refill is ~ $15 at local hardware store, exchanges are a lot pricier ~$25+ and they want old tank to be in date.

Is RIN number a national thing?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,741 Posts

The Requalifier Identification Number is provided by the US DOT to facilities licensed to inspect cylinders.

How do I obtain a Requalifier Identification Number (RIN)?
You must submit an application to DOT registering your facility as one that requalifies cylinders by the visual inspection method. The application must be signed by the facility manager, certifying that the facility will operate in compliance with the applicable hazardous materials regulations.

You can look up the RIN's of all licensed facilities at the DOT website:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site...009ed07898RCRD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
...Another thought was to mount my 15.0JC in my basement and the gas line will not be a problem, nor mice problems. However, noise and the potential for gases can be a problem....
Not that you asked, but that's a bad idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 09:03:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,411 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
Not that you asked, but that's a bad idea.
Yup, i agree. Maybe i will build or buy a small shed next to the house for the little green monst er.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19:41 PM
Subscriber

Ed got a great deal on a JB from the estate of the former owners.

Mint condition - all it's life in the basement.

The JB ran great! The exhaust system eventually developed a leak, though...

Not surprising the heirs didn't want that particular genny around anymore.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ted_Cool For This Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,630 Posts

Johnny, I'm going through installing NG for a 15 kW this week and it should be finished in a couple days.

Step 1 is to add up all the btu requirements in your house. Furnace, water heater, stove, oven etc.

2. Call the gas company to see if your meter can handle the needed flow. Tell them you're installing a generator that needs 300,000 btu. If you and most likely will, need a newer bigger meter they'll install it.

3. Depending on the run of piping to where you need to end it you will probably need 1 1/4" pipe as the bends and length reduce flow at the measly pressure available. Reduce the 1 1/4 to 3/4 by the generator for the shut off valve and flex hose to your unit.

System option:
You can change the meter to a high pressure system for your house. (2 psi). You'll need regulators on your furnace etc., to knock it down to the right pressure. Then you can run 3/4" pipe from the meter to your gen with another regulator if yours on the unit doesn't like 2 psi.

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 10-22-2014 at 08:18:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46:04 AM
Registered-I

I know this is an old thread, but I thought you might get a kick out of how having enough pressure from a propane tank is handled for flame effects on a Art Mutant Vehicle at the Burning Man Event.

I was noticing someone welding and thought they could help weld something for me which they did later when they were done with their Scorpion Mutant Vehicle. Tremendously large like double city bus size kinetic tail that moved up probably 30 feet high.

The flame effects for the vehicle I got the answer for when I asked why they were adding 5 gallon jug after 5 gallon jug of water into the vehicle after they got it unloaded from the transport truck to the event.

They said it is not for a radiator for the engine as I thought. It is a heated water system to have a jacket around the propane tank, so in early morning hours when it is like 50 degrees or below, it can at least intermittently make it like day light as it strolls across the Playa.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10:32 AM
Registered-III

Was at Hartford civics center once and saw them setting up for Monster truck show the next day. Guy let me look his truck over. I noticed they had an electric heating pad wrapped around a 20# propane tank to make high pressure ( Klickstat for overtemp control ~ 120 deg, ~ 230 psi). Guy said they release propane out the back as they drive, then wait something like 5 seconds before igniting it. That way it makes an impressive long rolling tail. At 50 deg propane would only be ~ 80 psi.

Here Walmart does #20 propane tank exchanges for ~ $16 ( ~ 16-17 # filled). Tank cage doesn't say tanks to be in date, so I bring my old ones and cherypick new tanks. After deducting cost of propane it's like ~ $5 to swap expired tank for new.

Last edited by len k; 03-20-2017 at 11:30:57 AM.