Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Fuel starvation problem?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 2674 times

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Fuel starvation problem?

If you do plumb a natural gas line from the house you will also need to make sure it is big enough, and that your existing natural gas meter is big enough to handle the load of the JC while running your other natural gas loads. Natural gas is delivered at very low pressure so typically needs a rather large pipe.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 12:26:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you do plumb a natural gas line from the house you will also need to make sure it is big enough, and that your existing natural gas meter is big enough to handle the load of the JC while running your other natural gas loads. Natural gas is delivered at very low pressure so typically needs a rather large pipe.
That is what I need to investigate. More question will follow as I roll my 700 green monster closer to it's fuel supply line. I will check CL for used 100 lbs propane tanks and regulators. If I can find something cheap, I will use it for testing and a backup fuel source.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-21-2014, 12:58:57 PM
Registered-III

Info regarding pipe sizes for Propane and nat gas are in the T-015 manual. If I remember right, someone else was checking that within the last few months and I think his answer was a pipe over 1" diameter for 100'. As for the regulator on the house, it was a bit small for running both the JC and his furnace-water heater. You've still got lots of interesting things to check out....
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,808 Times in 4,220 Posts

IF you had enough 20# tanks and BBQ regs you could gang them up after the reg. I'm guessing maybe 6-7 will do it. Look for grills on the curb on trash day in a rich area in spring, I've picked up > 20 free tanks and regs that way.

With valve to engine off, have to open the tank valve SLOWLY so it doesn't trip the excess flow safty.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:54:30 PM
Registered-III

I must be shopping in the wrong store..... When the free scrap grills turn up on Craig's List around here they come without tanks.... I did get a 100# tank, empty, for $20, but it had been listed on CL as full for $75..... OTOH, 20 gallons of propane to fill a 100# tank should cost around $35-$50 in today's market. I should break down and get it filled.....
Old 10-21-2014, 02:07:27 PM
Registered-III

As I was driving one night, before I saw it, I smelled it. Guess they don't want you to throw out tanks full of propane in the trash. So some genius left the valve open on an old 20# tank and left it on the curb. Tank had no pressure, was ice cold -40 deg F. If you tipped it liquid propane could squirt out. Dangerous, frostbite and fire !! I shut the valve off and took the tank home. Burned fuel in my grill, and tossed the tank , it had the old style valve.

Last edited by len k; 10-21-2014 at 02:20:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,396 Posts

I did quick searched on CL and found several people selling left over underground gas pipe in lenths of 20 to 120 feet and ranging from 1 inch up to 2 inches. The left overs were from projects such as running gas to their garages, outdoor bbqs or fireplaces and they had to buy huge rolls. The left overs went for sale on CL for pennies on the dollar.

The question is I must determine the lenth I need to run my line to determine the size. I will check out the T-015 manual.

Another thought was to mount my 15.0JC in my basement and the gas line will not be a problem, nor mice problems. However, noise and the potential for gases can be a problem.

Winter is just around the corner and the ground will start to freeze making it difficult to bury anything. Maybe I will make a quick disconnect hose/line to go between the house and somewhere outside for a temporary but safe hookup.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-21-2014, 03:12:46 PM
Registered-III

I've dug trench for cable pipe in Dec , but that was a mild winter. Dig it now before ground freezes. In early winter if it's a mild 30 degs and dry, ground will only surface freeze ~1/2 inch. That being said one early winter ~ Nov weekend it got cold with high wind and wet ground. I had a hard time hammer and chisiling thru 2" frozen soil to get my road reflectors in after just 2 days of cold.

Leaves over the ground to be dug help insulate it and keep it from freezing.

Last edited by len k; 10-21-2014 at 04:35:29 PM. Reason: leaves
Old 10-21-2014, 04:27:51 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,272 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I did quick searched on CL and found several people selling left over underground gas pipe in lenths of 20 to 120 feet and ranging from 1 inch up to 2 inches. The left overs were from projects such as running gas to their garages, outdoor bbqs or fireplaces and they had to buy huge rolls. The left overs went for sale on CL for pennies on the dollar.

The question is I must determine the lenth I need to run my line to determine the size. I will check out the T-015 manual.

Another thought was to mount my 15.0JC in my basement and the gas line will not be a problem, nor mice problems. However, noise and the potential for gases can be a problem.

Winter is just around the corner and the ground will start to freeze making it difficult to bury anything. Maybe I will make a quick disconnect hose/line to go between the house and somewhere outside for a temporary but safe hookup.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
My JB is sitting in the basement! Still need to get running however. ; ^ )
Old 10-21-2014, 05:56:02 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
I shut the valve off and took the tank home. Burned fuel in my grill, and tossed the tank , it had the old style valve.

places around here would exchange that tank for you. I collect old ones when people throw them away and exchange them for new ones.