Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Ex-Military Spec 6JB compression issue

this thread has 84 replies and has been viewed 2723 times

Old 02-09-2017, 12:05:06 PM
Registered

Exclamation Ex-Military Spec 6JB compression issue

Hi Guys,
I have had this genset for about 3 months and it was running superbly for the last 2 months... Yet a couple of days ago i started it in the morning and used it for a couple of hours and then turned it off as normal...
Sometime later about 4pm i sterted it back up but it took some starting and wasn't sounding right... turns out is was only firing on one cylinder - it has only done 455 hours so not due a major overhaul yet... but i switched it off and had a quick look over it...

Turning the engine over by the crank i could get get good compression but on the next rotation i could hear air hissing on the compression stroke, then roated to the next compression was good again... So decided to whip the head off..

So after reading these forums, and people saying the valve seat to be an issue, we cleaned the head which was badly coked up and we reset the valves and re ground in the 1st cylinder... all nice and clean and well seated.

Checked the inside of the cylinder to make sure no damage/scoring etc on the inside... it all looked and felt fine, so removed the coked ring around the top and cleaned it all out, re-assembed the head with the old steel gasket and turned over by hand, still had a hissing on piston 1... so took all apart again and have now put some diesel in the cylinders to see if there is a piston ring out...

Since im guessing this is going to be the fault... is there any one on here who has done this job on their engines?

basically this is a heavy lump and i don't have an engine crane to lift this of the cradle and turn on its side/end while i remove the bottom cover to get access to the crank and the big ends...

So is there an easy way? should i check anything else first?

thanks in advance - oh probably should mention im in the UK so parts are like rocking horse poo over here now
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,182 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Ex-Military Spec 6JB compression issue

I doubt you are missing anything having done the valves, but a good check is to put that piston at TDC of compression stroke and while holding it securely with a wrench, apply compressed air to it through the spark plug hole. The air will leak from the rings and you will want to compare the noise between the good and bad cylinders. But if you have a valve or head gasket problem, you will quickly pick up on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rankin For This Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 02:26:01 PM
Sponsor

Yes as Jim mentioned, do a leak down test at TDC. Either with a meter if you have access to one or just by putting air pressure in the plug hole with a rubber tip air nozzle. + You will want to listen to the three areas, intake side, exhaust side and pull the dipstick and listen in the crankcase. See where the most hissing is coming from before taking it apart again.
The oil pan has to come off to get the pistons out.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:42:59 PM
Registered

Question Re: Ex-Military Spec 6JB compression issue

thanks guys,

i have already taken the head off as when turning it over there was compression, then turned it over again after setting the rockers and lost the compression!

So with head off, put some diesel into both cylinders and let it rest for a bit.. an hour later and all diesel in 1st cylinder had gone! so deffo a piston out job now

to get the sump off, it will have to come of the cradle... but do i need to take anything else off to do this? - blower shroud etc? the service manual is not too descriptive!

and if i stand it up on the alternator end, will that be ok on the end while i do this?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:09:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,813 Times in 6,036 Posts

I have changed pistons in the field. It will have to come out to where you roll it over.I would remove any shields that might bend. Have two good blocks of wood to lay the block on.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:42:25 PM
Sponsor

Very strange, running just fine when shut down only to be running low on compression the next day? Could carbon have gotten into a ring? I think I would try a a good penetrating oil. Maybe that could dissolve some carbon and get the seal back. Did you notice a lot of blow-by in the breather?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:01:43 PM
Registered

Will have to find some good blocks then! got to be easier on its side than stood on the alternator! lol

So next question, im assuming i will need a new set of rings... but what size should i buy? with only 500 hours on the clock, surely its never been honed so an oversize set shouldnt be required should they?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:08:00 PM
Subscriber

I pulled the pistons out on my 4.0CCK by standing the unit up on the alternator end. I used some wood blocks I have laying around and was able to shim it pretty steady. I used a strap/chain from the ceiling for extra safety to keep it from tipping over too. The strap twisted as I turned the flywheel to get the crank turned. Worked perfectly.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGutts View Post
Will have to find some good blocks then! got to be easier on its side than stood on the alternator! lol

So next question, im assuming i will need a new set of rings... but what size should i buy? with only 500 hours on the clock, surely its never been honed so an oversize set shouldnt be required should they?
See what you got first.
To have that big a loss of compression, probably more than just ring.
May have broken land(s)
Very likely if someone used Ether in the past.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 09:00:50 PM
Registered

excuse my ignorance... broken lands?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26:10 PM
Subscriber

The "lands" are the portion of the piston between the ring grooves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokay5 For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:09:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,115 Posts

I'm probably wrong, but I guess I'm a little surprised that a little loss of compression would cause total misfire on one cylinder.

First, what does the compression actually measure? - I could be convinced this is the issue, but need some evidence.

Second - did you swap plugs and plug wires to make sure the 'low compression' cylinder remained the non-firing one?

Ignition issues are common. Low compression, especially all-of-a-sudden, not so common.

Lastly, any other signs of low compression i.e. crankcase blowby overwhelming the breather, or oil blowing out anywhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:23:43 AM
Sponsor

Diesels are just a compression/ combustion engine, if compression gets low it will not get hot enough in the cylinder to fire the atomized diesel if it is a djb, I do not know which one it is.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:36:39 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,683 Times in 1,754 Posts

I am seeing "6JB" in the title- to me that is a spark ignition engine.

---------- Post added at 10:36:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25:45 PM ----------

To me, this unusual-

Quote:
...when turning it over there was compression, then turned it over again after setting the rockers and lost the compression!...
I have done more than a few valve clearance adjustments (I'm assuming that "setting the rockers" is a term for same) and have never had a cylinder suddenly lose compression due to the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 01:05:00 AM
Subscriber

Maybe no compression on next rev after adjusting valves because that cylinder now coming to
TDC on exhaust stroke?

Steve
Old 02-10-2017, 01:22:31 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
I am seeing "6JB" in the title- to me that is a spark ignition engine.....
Me too. Ignore my post if this is a Diesel...
Old 02-10-2017, 05:10:13 AM
Registered

Morning guys,

Yes its a petrol fired engine... sorry for the confusion - i put diesel in the cylincders to test the rings, low and behold the 2nd cylinder is still full, nothing in the first, so obviously its leaking somewhere..

There are no marks on the inside of the cylinder and its all freely moving, so next job is piston out to investigate further

I hope its not the piston that has had it as parts are not easy to find in the UK!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:44:39 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
...2nd cylinder is still full, nothing in the first, so obviously its leaking somewhere...
Agreed - just not convinced that this leakage is the cause of that cylinder not firing. Did you swap plugs and plug wires to make sure the 'low compression' cylinder remained the non-firing one?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34:17 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
Agreed - just not convinced that this leakage is the cause of that cylinder not firing. Did you swap plugs and plug wires to make sure the 'low compression' cylinder remained the non-firing one?
I'm an old ford guy, unless these thing are a lot higher performance than a ford 6 (not likely ;-) it should run just fine with enough blowby to soak everything with oil closer than 10 feet, and sound like it's running fine.

I'm with Jim. (and my dad). Simple stuff first. And breaking into a block was the very last thing he wanted to do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grif For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,687 Times in 3,426 Posts

Are you sure you were at TDC when you adjusted the valves. Doesn't take much open valve to lose compression. On my single cylinder 10 hp snow blower ~0.005 inch always open valve will drop compression to ~ 50 psi and it won't even start.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post: